Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's yet another example of a developer showing one thing and delivering something different. This crap needs to stop. It really is false advertising/baiting and switching. I understand consoles are far inferior to pc hardware but even when you demo a game at a convention like e3 running on pc, the majority of the masses will believe their consoles are going to look the same. While they may be incompetent to the inner workings of the game industry's advertising/marketing tactics and scheming, they are not at fault for it. These big time developers/publishers need to be held accountable and I am not just suggesting we stop purchasing their products. I am suggesting legal action and punishment.

http://hothardware.com/News/Irate-Gamers-Launch-Campaign-Over-Dark-Souls-II-Console-Graphics-Downgrade/
Quote:
Despite receiving mostly high scores and praise from review sites and gaming publications, Namco Bandai's Dark Souls II is the subject of a controversy over its in-game graphics. PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 gamers have taken to the Internet to voice their collective displeasure regarding what they feel are significantly downgraded graphics compared to the preview footage Namco Bandai made available prior to the sequel's release.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2spartan View Post

Here's yet another example of a developer showing one thing and delivering something different. This crap needs to stop. It really is false advertising/baiting and switching. I understand consoles are far inferior to pc hardware but even when you demo a game at a convention like e3 running on pc, the majority of the masses will believe their consoles are going to look the same. While they may be incompetent to the inner workings of the game industry's advertising/marketing tactics and scheming, they are not at fault for it. These big time developers/publishers need to be held accountable and I am not just suggesting we stop purchasing their products. I am suggesting legal action and punishment.

http://hothardware.com/News/Irate-Gamers-Launch-Campaign-Over-Dark-Souls-II-Console-Graphics-Downgrade/
It's not only preview footage, the beta and various build levels on the actual consoles were running with these effects in place... the fact that they were removed is "odd" I don't recall seeing anyone complaining about performance issues with them in place either.

I'm wondering if it was stripped from the PC version also.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I really wanna sympathize with console players. I can't though. There's this mental block in my head that always tells me that everything bad that happens to console games is well-deserved. I know I have a problem. Help me someone, please.
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Quote:

While they may be incompetent to the inner workings of the game industry's advertising/marketing tactics and scheming, they are not at fault for it.
Totally agree. Well put bro. Now let's hear them cry about piracy later, and how it affected their sales. LAUGHABLE! HAH!

·
Premium Member
4,565 Posts
Didn't know they made PS2 games anymore..............HAHAHAHAHAH.....it must be a joke, someone tell the devs it not april yet.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Some of the articles circling are mentioning that the footage that they are comparing to is mostly PC. I'm surprised that DS has not been announced for PS4/XO since you would expect the pre-release footage to be of the game running on those or PC but not PS3 or 360.

As said above, can't really feel for those complaining about the fidelity. They should be aware by now what their hardware is capable of running.

·
waifu for lifu
11,576 Posts
Seems like they showed the PC version at E3.

·
A title was here
4,144 Posts
I personally don't care.

If the dynamic lighting system we saw a while ago lowered the framerate any lower, then I'm happy it was abandoned.

In the NeoGAF thread comparing the PS3 versions, people are speculating that with the dynamic lighting we saw, torches would be worthless, or something like that.

I do understand the argument though as they did talk for a while about a "complete graphics overhaul" then showed that lighting system, then the game's released and it was obviously abandoned.

I bought the PS3 version so I could enjoy it early, and the framerate is just awful early on, but you get used to it.

I'll also be buying the PC version for a much higher res and framerate.

Edit - I also recall seeing a disappearing HUD during the network stress test as I was playing it, so they obviously abandoned other things.

·
Premium Member
5,823 Posts
Both of them look terrible, honestly.

Also.... This is why Forbes should be trusted for absolutely nothing, ever:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbes
An article in Forbes, for example, somewhat defends the downgraded graphics on the basis that the higher quality effects are distracting and could potentially hurt performance.
In other news, Intel announces all new SNAIL'S PACE chips. Citing a Forbes article as a source, Intel believes that a CPU that is too fast is "distracting".

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I wouldn't call it false advertising. Anything "in development" is bound to change somehow. The buyers could have waited for reviews before buying it too.

Haven't you ever compared a concept car vs the actual production version?

·
Premium Member
6,192 Posts
Quote:

If the PC version....
I played the PS3 Alpha/Beta thing, I found the graphics to resemble somewhat of this april footage, seems weird that this happened, possible art style change?

·
Registered
621 Posts
I will be playing this on PC and really hope they fix and ramp up the graphics but this really sucks. I was watching some YouTube gameplay videos and even though we know those videos are compressed, I couldn't help but notice plenty of low quality textures and really poor fire effects. These textures and effects looked worse than Dark Souls 1. Maybe they had to lower settings to keep a decent framerate as we all know the previous Dark Souls had issues, BUT they need to be honest and upfront about it and not claim the "new" engine is built with "next-gen in mind" and then implement poor quality textures and effects.

Regarless, I really hope the PC version will be good looking as they officially said alrealy that it will have "higher resolution textures and 60 fps".

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Quote:
In other news, Intel announces all new SNAIL'S PACE chips. Citing a Forbes article as a source, Intel believes that a CPU that is too fast is "distracting".
I lol'ed hard on that. Thanks.
tongue.gif

·
waifu for lifu
11,576 Posts
If a last gen console gamer is complaining about graphics, they should open up their wallets and pick up a new next-gen console and/or PC.

·
Premium Member
6,238 Posts
Quote:

Its not a bait and switch. From software has repitedly staited that for Dark Souls II the PC is the lead platform.
Quote:
Dark Souls creator Hidetaka Miyazaki has confirmed that PC is the lead platform for the game.
source --> http://www.gameplanet.com.au/xbox-360/news/g51671efa40b72/Dark-Souls-II-PC-is-lead-platform-will-run-at-60-FPS/

Furthermore there has been beta footage of the PS3 version out for quite a while as well so its not like from software where hiding what the PS3 version looked like and anyone who though it was unacceptable could have undone their pre-order (assuming they where stupid enough to pre order based on E3 footage)

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest2000 View Post

I wouldn't call it false advertising. Anything "in development" is bound to change somehow. The buyers could have waited for reviews before buying it too.

Haven't you ever compared a concept car vs the actual production version?
Change for the worse though? This seems like common practice anymore with developers. I don't buy that it was a premature design flaw or an accident. They knew, for the most part, what consoles vs pc are capable of and yet they push pc hardware to the limit in these demos and they expect me to believe it was a developmental oversight?

Well no offense to console gamers but a lot of them (if not most) are not very tech savvy which is probably the reason they're gaming on console and not a pc. The simplicity of just popping in a disc and instant gratification is appealing. I expect them to see gameplay footage and believe it is an actual representation of what the final product should look like. But the truth is you can't anymore. Some of these games aren't even close to the way the formerly looked. It's just wrong.

·
Premium Member
6,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit_reaper View Post

Its not a bait and switch. From software has repitedly staited that for Dark Souls II the PC is the lead platform.
source --> http://www.gameplanet.com.au/xbox-360/news/g51671efa40b72/Dark-Souls-II-PC-is-lead-platform-will-run-at-60-FPS/

Furthermore there has been beta footage of the PS3 version out for quite a while as well so its not like from software where hiding what the PS3 version looked like and anyone who though it was unacceptable could have undone their pre-order (assuming they where stupid enough to pre order based on E3 footage)
PC lead platform? that's a shocker, considering we had to ask to buy the original Dark Souls
rolleyes.gif

Cant complain however.

·
Premium Member
10,772 Posts
Well, it is ~7.5 year old budget hardware, not sure what people expected while maintaining a good resolution and 30-60fps

If someone told me the "good" half of that preview vid was running on ps3 at a good resolution and FPS, i would have laughed at them; so all in all this is somewhat disappointing if it was not made clear that old hardware versions would look so bad, but not all too surprising

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
So for the PC version should they also show the game running at minimum graphics settings, or better yet, every possible graphic configuration so as to not "mislead" consumers?

1 - 20 of 241 Posts