Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody provide ANY information on how hot plug works?

After realizing I barely use my 1tb drive, 750gb drive , and 500gb drive. At most time I just use my os drive. I don't really know how hot plug is implemented. but i have this idea of an implementation. My idea is I could leave the sata drives plugged in to the power line and the sata cables and just put a Double pole, single throw switch on the 2 power lines (5 and 12 volts). leaving the ground connected at all times.

Image of Double pole, single throw switch

I see 3 advantages with this set up.
1) saves power
2) windows might stop freezing to spin up my hard drives for seemingly no reason.
3) less wear on the hard drives which windows insists on spinning up at seemingly random times.

Thoughts? ideas? comments?

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Hot plugging is a protocol or software feature.

1) It save only 2-5w per HDD while idling
2) You risk data corruption if you kill the power accidentially while a write is occurring
3) Solving why the OS is spinning up the drives is a better solution. (Probably for indexing which can be disabled.)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought sata drives supported hot swapping so you could rebuild raid arrays and such with out having to shut off the computer. I'm thinking of something like a toggle switch mounted on the back of the case.... can't I write a batch file to set the drives offline and just run that before I flip the switch? worst case scenario its like a power outage/brownout.... its not going to fry my components maybe just loose some data?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts