Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is 95 degrees Celsius too hot for this card? It reaches there after a couple minutes of FurMark. I recently got a Auzentech X-Fi Forte that is pretty much right on the bottom of it. I plan to Crossfire it so I have to let the sound card hump it. It currently blocks half the fan since it is a low profile card. I am also open to aftermarket coolers but the Accelero Twin Turbo Pro takes up 3 slots I think. The card is also non reference design so I am wondering what would be good for it. Thanks in advance.
LL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Idle is like 62C. I also don't think I can use the thing you linked, seems like it will take up 3 slots. I can use 2 slot ones only.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,182 Posts
I have a T-RAD 2 on my 4870 and load I get about 45C and idle is about 35C I have two 92mm fans on the beast
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does the T-RAD 2 with fans take up 3 slots worth of space? Because I have a sound card that needs to be sandwitched when I crossfire it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,674 Posts
My 4870 same xfx model would load at 99 degrees in furmark

I remounted the heatsink/tim and cleanedd all the dust

Load dropepd to 78 degrees from 99

20 degree drop in temps

Check for dust in the heat sink
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,211 Posts
Both of my cards load under 70C in Furmark multi GPU

If your hitting 95C i would expect the card to crap out and start to artifact...i know when my 4870 starts to get up there it will artifact

Keep in mind both of my cards are reference and running on blowers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't have any dust but does remounting it help that much? Also Rewindlabs, are you Crossfiring a 4890 and 4870 at different clock speeds? I load at high 89 if I turn fan 100% but that's too loud. the max 95c is mostly just FurMark, after Metro 2033, it's like at 85. Any aftermarket cooler that will work well with a 4870 without hogging 3 spaces. Motherboard layout from top to bottom is:
PCI Express x16: Radeon HD 4870
PCI Express x 1 : Blocked by above
PCI Express x 1 : X-Fi Forte
PCI Express x16: Soon another Radeon HD 4870
PCI: Nothing but will be blocked, maybe 3 slot cooler okay, no need any PCI slots.
PCI: Nothing

I also looked at the Akasa Vortexx Neo, it looks a little short for the 4870.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,211 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by d0nch1ch1o View Post
I don't have any dust but does remounting it help that much? Also Rewindlabs, are you Crossfiring a 4890 and 4870 at different clock speeds? I load at high 89 if I turn fan 100% but that's too loud. the max 95c is mostly just FurMark, after Metro 2033, it's like at 85. Any aftermarket cooler that will work well with a 4870 without hogging 3 spaces. Motherboard layout from top to bottom is:
PCI Express x16: Radeon HD 4870
PCI Express x 1 : Blocked by above
PCI Express x 1 : X-Fi Forte
PCI Express x16: Soon another Radeon HD 4870
PCI: Nothing but will be blocked, maybe 3 slot cooler okay, no need any PCI slots.
PCI: Nothing

I also looked at the Akasa Vortexx Neo, it looks a little short for the 4870.
If you purchased your card new and you haven't changed the TIM so its running on stock TIM from XFX i would definitely replace it...both my 4870 and 4890's stock TIM was not applied all to well and placing a nice dab of Arctic silver 5 on both cards helped my temps

Something you could check into is a PCI-Express riser...

Here is one you could buy but you may want to look around and see if slower cables (this one is x16) are cheaper as you sound card will only need x1 bandwith to begin with

Edit: I believe i was confused on your exact setup and you will instead need to find an x1 PCI_E riser like these pictured here

That riser would allow you to move your X-Fi out of the way and you could then use an Accelero S1 .Rev2 which is a cheap but EXTREMELY effective cooler

You could run both of your cards with the S1 coolers and you should be good to go

Yes i am crossfiring both the 4870 and 4890 and yes the clock and memory speeds of each card are asynchronous meaning when i overclock the 4890 past the 4870 i still reap quite a performance boost
 

·
PC Evangelist
Joined
·
46,976 Posts
All the late reversions of HD4870 are like that. Mine load in Furmark at about 85C. All you can really do is have a fan blow on them and change the paste. From what i know these cards are fine if they don't pass 100C so you should have no problem.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: d0nch1ch1o

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dont think I can use that PCI-E Riser as I have a side fan that blocks it, I don't really need it but it lights up blue and I already cut a corner of it off. It doesn't seem to change the temps much but I rather have it there. So there really isn't any decent dual slot cooler? Maybe I should get a good 4890 with a decent stock cooler instead, if that performance boost of a 4890+4870 is a lot higher than 2x 4870. Then I can get any gigantic cooler for the 4870 and stick it on the bottom.

Zealot, the Sapphire coolers look 10x better than weird XFX one thought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,440 Posts
You Flip the cooler I suggestion for up or down. But I still understand.
I Still recommend Theremal Take. Heck I only have cards fan on mine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,211 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by d0nch1ch1o View Post
I dont think I can use that PCI-E Riser as I have a side fan that blocks it, I don't really need it but it lights up blue and I already cut a corner of it off. It doesn't seem to change the temps much but I rather have it there. So there really isn't any decent dual slot cooler? Maybe I should get a good 4890 with a decent stock cooler instead, if that performance boost of a 4890+4870 is a lot higher than 2x 4870. Then I can get any gigantic cooler for the 4870 and stick it on the bottom.

Zealot, the Sapphire coolers look 10x better than weird XFX one thought.
Can you show me how you have it mounted

You could try for using the fan on the other side of the case panel in a ghetto fashion if you will...its not the best compromise but it would work

Or just remove that fan and wire yourself up some nice LED's over the fan slot if thats what you want

As for getting a 4890 over another 4870

Honestly the performance gain isn't enough that you should weigh your card purchase on it...its there but don't go spending more cash then its worth to get your hands on a 4890

I would take a good hard look into Elmo's cooler as it would fit into your setup without any modification to your layout (fans/soundcard) and it should solve your cooling issues
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I'm going to get that Setsugan or something even though it's suboptimal, raising sound card wont do anything except block the fan completely, I can raise the video card a little but that's weird and not something I want to do. What do you mean Elmo, flip cooler? You mean reverse the fan from blowing down to make it suck the hot air? Sorta like what the Scythe Setsugen does?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
925 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by ELmo1989
View Post

You Flip the cooler I suggestion for up or down. But I still understand.
I Still recommend Theremal Take. Heck I only have cards fan on mine.

Is this what you mean? Seems like it would work great since anything in between the cards is completely removed from the cooling solution.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,245 Posts
too be honest 95C is TOO HOT! 98C is about 220F i believe. My 4890 would get to 98C just sitting at the menu screen of Operation flashpoint. come to find out, mine was faulty
though a different card, temperature is the same. youre going to experience instability, artifacts and overall temps rise if you run at those temps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Those temps seems very odd to me?
What temps are you relating to GPU or VRMosfet?

I changed to Scythe Musashi on my HIS HD4890 Turbo OC and my temps
are generally lower on GPU and VRM the same.This card is normally
a hot one and noisy.But now dead silent even when gaming.

Check one of my posts.
http://www.scythe-eu.com/forum/9661-post87.html

Many posts and info in my sig LINK "What am I for...."

Here's one for starters...

Third pict=last test I've done and then with Stalker Clear Sky
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
I have the same exact issue as d0nch, my PCI slots are too close together to fit a proper aftermarket cooler/heatsink in there. My cards were overheating like crazy and just forcing my PC to crash all the time under load. I was looking around today and found an external PCI slot cooler to exhaust the air the stock cooler gives off. I haven't looked into it too much, and if it is garbage please somebody let me know, but it looks like just the thing that would help. Here's the link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...xus-_-11996017
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top