Overclock.net banner

Houston, We Have Lift-Off: 7700x

1534 12

At 1st I thought that the 7700x wasn't all that great. But when more reviews started to surface I began to notice that more often then not the 7700x was beating the 5800x3d. Something that the 13900k could do from Intel's own slide:

A user here posted a video showing you how to lower temps and/or get the peak performance by using PBO2. With just a 2-3 adjustments in the bio.

Making this cpu one of the best AMD has to offer if gaming is your thing with some light productivity. Now, I am not saying that it will be better then a 7800x3d. We have yet to see that cpu and more then likely it will incur a price premium to buy. But as a go between if you are interested in this platform for gaming it seems to be the better choice.

Edit:
I wanted to also add that I believe (my personal opinion) that we will see price cuts of some kind in the next few months. So, I am not suggesting you by "right now". But at least wait until black friday, for example, to see if there is any movement on price cuts.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
WaterCooler
5,470 Posts
I don't know, from strictly a value position, considering platform costs as it is right now, Zen 4 is completely undesirable if your goal is gaming in my opinion. I won't discount that there are gains, but they aren't substantial enough over the 5800X3D for gaming to warrant the excessive amount of money that will be required to switch platforms. This becomes even more true as you move to 1440p or 4k.

And then you do still see titles where the 5800X3D still beats Zen 4.

I don't know, tough sell in my opinion.

EDIT: To expand, I think you're better off upgrading to the 5800X3D if you are already on an AM4 platform that can support it, whether natively or with a BIOS update. If you have nothing and are looking to build new, I think, again strictly talking money/value here, that an Intel 12th gen platform makes sense and then drop in a 13th gen down the road.

For me, AM5 will make more sense when Zen 4 3D releases and hopefully by then, motherboards that don't cost a ridiculous amount of money release.

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,977 Posts
I don't know, from strictly a value position, considering platform costs as it is right now, Zen 4 is completely undesirable if your goal is gaming in my opinion. I won't discount that there are gains, but they aren't substantial enough over the 5800X3D for gaming to warrant the excessive amount of money that will be required to switch platforms. This becomes even more true as you move to 1440p or 4k.

EDIT: To expand, I think you're better off upgrading to the 5800X3D if you are already on an AM4 platform that can support it, whether natively or with a BIOS update. If you have nothing and are looking to build new, I think, again strictly talking money/value here, that an Intel 12th gen platform makes sense and then drop in a 13th gen down the road.

For me, AM5 will make more sense when Zen 4 3D releases and hopefully by then, motherboards that don't cost a ridiculous amount of money release.
There are benefits to DDR5 in some games right now, and those gains vastly outstrip what the X3D chip can make up for. I think we'll see more of that in the very near future.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts

I been going on about this for a few days ago but totally agree.

Even a chip like a 7700x which should be a great value game chip is being washed away by platform cost to build right now. Am5 too build as of today compared to am4 or z690 is a no go outside of heavy productivity users with the 7950x.

·
WaterCooler
5,470 Posts
I been going on about this for a few days ago but totally agree.

Even a chip like a 7700x which should be a great value game chip is being washed away by platform cost to build right now. Am5 too build as of today compared to am4 or z690 is a no go outside of heavy productivity users with the 7950x.
Exactly my thought as well. Because of the platform costs, it also puts the 7600X and 7700X in a weird spot in my opinion. Clearly value oriented buyers are going to be the target for these tier of Zen 4 chips (though I have opinions about $300 6-core chips in 2022), yet the entire rest of the platform is not geared for any value. And who is buying $400 or more motherboards to plop in a Ryzen 5? Strange launch.

Would have liked to see B-series boards with it. So far not impressed with the high costs of X670 boards I've seen.

·
Registered
112 Posts
7700X looks nice, and will be a great $300-$350 CPU this time next year, but IMO for those who game a lot it's worth waiting for 7800X3D (or 7900X3D, depending how bad the cross-CCD hit is). Judging by how well the 5800X3D often does vs 7700X, X3D 7000 is gonna be real good if they can hit decent clocks.

·
Registered
441 Posts
7700X looks nice, and will be a great $300-$350 CPU this time next year, but IMO for those who game a lot it's worth waiting for 7800X3D (or 7900X3D, depending how bad the cross-CCD hit is). Judging by how well the 5800X3D often does vs 7700X, X3D 7000 is gonna be real good if they can hit decent clocks.
Great CPU, but the mobo and ram expenses make it debatable as to how worthwhile it is. Especially since it's competing with the 5900x and 5800x3d and the soon to be released i7 13700k, which are much cheaper when platform is considered. I'm torn between building old gen and new gen. Pricing out a 5900x vs a 7900x is a $500 difference, and that's overspending on high end DDR4 ram. I'm sure prices will change as it matures.

There is certainly room for a 7800x3D, but I really don't want to wait another year to upgrade, considering my system is already 9 years old. I've been saying "just a little longer" for so long, that I don't even enjoy modern games...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Great CPU, but the mobo and ram expenses make it debatable as to how worthwhile it is. Especially since it's competing with the 5900x and 5800x3d and the soon to be released i7 13700k, which are much cheaper when platform is considered. I'm torn between building old gen and new gen. Pricing out a 5900x vs a 7900x is a $500 difference, and that's overspending on high end DDR4 ram. I'm sure prices will change as it matures.

There is certainly room for a 7800x3D, but I really don't want to wait another year to upgrade, considering my system is already 9 years old. I've been saying "just a little longer" for so long, that I don't even enjoy modern games...
Yeah seems like the pricing is making this effectively a high-end-first launch like Zen3. Only makes sense to buy 7900X or 7950X right now IMO, anyone who wants 6-8 cores should wait for price drops on the lower parts or even the non-X versions. This is not like Zen1/+/2 launches where AMD had budget parts right out the gate as they had to compete on price- starting with Zen3 AMD seems to know they have premium products again and can charge premium pricing at least while the chips are fresh.

As for your situation, if you've already waited 9 years, one more might be worth waiting to get a better CPU and avoid being an early-adopter to AMDs new DDR5 platform...

• Rep+
Reactions: cssorkinman

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I traded in my 12900K setup on my PC Gaming rig for a AMD 7700X at 5500Mhz .Works great and temperature are better than the 12900K but I will have to double check on per game base.I PC Game at 4K so FPS around the same.

EDIT:
For anyone interested PC Gaming temps on my 12900K vs 7700X.Both ran 5500Mhz

12900K 5500Mhz PC temps SOTTR

AMD 7700X 5500Mhz PC Temps SOTTR

·
Registered
73 Posts

9 years old, you hang on to your systems for awhile bro. I'd go AM5, if your uncomfortable with platform cost, wait a little for B series board(no more then a month or two, otherwise forget it). AM5 will have long legs, maybe in 3 years you can toss a 8 or 9 series CPU into it. If your unhappy right now and really want to build, I can't blame you, you've waited a long time. I think i'd just pony up for AM5 in that case and accept paying a bit more for the benefits of AM5 longevity.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts