Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With AC "on" time fast approaching here in Tucson I am afraid all gpu folding will have to stop unless a clever way of getting rid of the heat is presented.

I think I can keep up with some good ppd with -bigadv and 6.29 smp folding but I just dont see any way to deal with the tremendous heat from 6 gpu's. I am sure that the extra heat load on the house AC would be in the 100.00 range and couple this with the 30.00 extra per month for the rigs is getting out of hand. At least the cool temps will last long enough so that I can see for perhaps 2 weeks what having 2 rigs getting 6.29 bonus and the gpus total out too, but then I think its off line for the gpu's until October or so. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
5,351 Posts
I'll probably stop GPU folding for the summer (after the Chimp Challenge)... I'm already starting to see my temps creep up a bit, which kind of scares me.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
5,140 Posts
I am going to be moving one of my rigs to the basement (its finished off and humidity isnt a problem, but coldness is
)

I am buying up parts to start water cooling my main rig... mostly for the fermi cards I plan to have.

That is my plan.

One way some people get rid of all the hot air without negating the effects of their Air Condition is to vent the hot air out a window. Perhaps build a plywood box to enclose the back of the case, allowing cold air to go in the front, and a fan in the back to suck the hot air through a duct and out the window (fill the rest of the open gap on the window with a board).

Yes, you will still be losing a little bit of cold air through that ducting system, but at least you don't have hot air pouring into the room.

If you have to cut back on something, do some calculations first, comparing points gained to watts used. I am pretty sure the watts used relates directly to heat generated.

·
Premium Member
7,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One of my main problems is that my folding is very unorganized, I have cases with mobo and gpus and caseless mobos and gpus in about every available spot. I need to come up with a plan, perhaps gpu folding in the carport (carports are popular here in AZ) and let the temps be what they may. This will be good for the house but really hard on the electronics.

My inital feeling is that -bigadv folding gives best ppd with least heat generated but is more expensive initaly and appears a bit more difficult to set up.

When the gpu servers went down some weeks ago it was very noticable how much less heat was being generated. The trade off here is that I feel gpu folding is the easiest and requires the least amount of "babysitting", which is very nice.

Perhaps I stop the gpus and put a unlocked 550BE and a Q6600 to work folding 6.29, just for the summer, that may be a good trade off. That will make my contribution a 955 on water folding 6.29, a i7 on water folding -bigadv, and the 550,and Q6600 folding 6.29 on megahalems, perhaps this heat load will be tolerable.None of these rigs will be needed for school work, I will have my Dell Optiplex and a backup e5200 for school work. My CCNA instructor says he teaches 60+ students off a laptop and I need 3 full desktops, perhaps I am over doing it a bit but I love my resources.

I am also trying to keep a home hosted web site going also and that is a server and a rig networked to it for my Dreamweaver classes, what to do here I don't know as the server really struggles with Dreamweaver and it is so nice working with Dreamweaver on an adaquately powered rig.

·
Registered
843 Posts
You don't have to quit. The GPU client has a slider that lets you set the percentage of GPU usage. If your GPU is getting too hot just knock the slider back. Unless your computer room is roasting hot I'm sure you could at least run at 50%. Half points is a lot better than no points. The CPU client also lets you set usage % when you run the -config flag in the console. Knock that back, or better yet, upgrade your CPU cooler.

·
god loves ugly
4,265 Posts
I wouldn't be able to fold during any time other than the winter (I don't at all currently). I start to feel rather warm once my room hits ~68F, let alone the 75F+ once it warms up outside.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I just strip to my boxers, sometimes i even take a cold shower to cool me down.
if i ever get into phase change cooling i'll definately use my pc as a cooling mechanism for my body

·
Premium Member
10,558 Posts
I cut a 6" hole in the wall & put a blower & duct between the two computers back to back, so it sucks a lot of the heat coming out & sends it outside.
Still gets toasty but it helps.

·
Premium Member
7,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lucas, two of my cpu coolers are water and the other two are megahalems, that leaves two lowly e5200's running stock coolers but e5200 are very low wattage cpu, It is the heat from the 275, 9800GTX+,two 8800,'s and two 9600GSO's that is making all the heat, they all have stock cooling and stay within design parameters, but all those guys put out some major heat even when working as designed.

·
Premium Member
7,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do have good cpu cooling (2 on water 2 on megahalems, and 2 e5200 that don't need more than stock) It is the 275, 9800GTX+, two 8800, two 9600 GSO's and all the monitors ,P/S's and everything else that getting unbearable.

I hit 45K last 24 hour period but look at how much hardware it took. Perhaps I should apply the "work smarter not harder idea"

Sorry about the double post, I thought I forgot to hit "submit"

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
If I had a case to work off of as a template, I could most likely make cooling system that would be able to fit 2 cased (4 caseless) folding rigs into it. It would either vent out a window, into an air ducted, into the furnace/AC, or through something that would cool the air and put it back in the room. I most likely would move everything into a basement with very little humidity or into a back room (or room with a window) and put a couple of fans blowing out the window.

But if the heat gets to bad, then just turn the whole thing off.

·
more chroma!
3,565 Posts
I plan to be under water when summer rolls around.

·
Premium Member
7,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Aqualoon, I see where you get your 'Avatar".Are you heading to the "Dells" or someplace in Minn.? Has the ppd on your 6.29 setup worked its self out (from your previous post?). One thing I have found with working through 'issues' involving folding is to make a change then be really sure you have given enough time for things to 'sort out".

I see you also found 3.8ghz for your 955, it is a very comfortable overclock for my cpu as well. For me I get my a3's done in about 8.5 hours and never have a crash due to an OC. What Vcore did you decide to go with and how is the H50 handling temps?

Real nice sysyem component selection except we must somehow get you on Win 7 (unless you have become really attached to Vista). I have two copies of Vista with no home, they are emergency backup OS's.

·
Premium Member
10,558 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aqualoon
View Post

I plan to be under water when summer rolls around.

The rads will still put out the heat, the PC will run cooler but the room won't.

·
more chroma!
3,565 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FtW 420
View Post

The rads will still put out the heat, the PC will run cooler but the room won't.

The room has it's own window AC unit - my den is also where I have my two fish tanks...thus the lights from my reef tank can heat up the room. In Mid July I bought a window AC for that room and it was oh so sweet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PCCstudent
View Post

Aqualoon, I see where you get your 'Avatar".Are you heading to the "Dells" or someplace in Minn.? Has the ppd on your 6.29 setup worked its self out (from your previous post?). One thing I have found with working through 'issues' involving folding is to make a change then be really sure you have given enough time for things to 'sort out".

Actually my username and avatar came from my other hobby forums - Monsterfishkeepers.com to be specific
And I am so not a fan of the Dells!

The PPD on the 6.29 seems to be coming along where it should, first time running it so not exactly sure where I should be. Going to give it now a week or so and then compare it to what others with same/similar CPU's are at.

Quote:

View Post

I see you also found 3.8ghz for your 955, it is a very comfortable overclock for my cpu as well. For me I get my a3's done in about 8.5 hours and never have a crash due to an OC. What Vcore did you decide to go with and how is the H50 handling temps?

I actually went down to 3.74 @ 1.39v, to keep a solid 3.8GHz I had to put it up to 1.43...granted not too big of an increase, but I'm trying to stay cool
. As for my H50, just today I bought some new fans for my case and H50 and some new TIM (currently using TX3 - bit thick for my tastes but wanted to try it out). When folding I reach 53C, while gaming I never go above 46C...hoping to knock off another 1-2C from those temps with the new fans and TIM.

Quote:

View Post

Real nice sysyem component selection except we must somehow get you on Win 7 (unless you have become really attached to Vista). I have two copies of Vista with no home, they are emergency backup OS's.

I love my version of Vista...it's an extremely clean version of Vista w/SP2. A friend of mine that I met over on the Anandtech forums 6 years ago (he's not a mod for them) cleaned it up and made it extremely smooth. So smooth in fact that there isn't any need for me to go to Win 7 as that's where my Vista basically is. I've had 0 problems with it whatsoever (unlike my dang work PC's that have Vista on em).

And I may switch to an i5/i7 setup...not sure yet...the game I built this PC for seems to favor intel chips (go figure eh).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.