Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once I learned most companies do not make their own PSUs, I became curious about this process.

What are the major components being manufactured? This must be connected with the fact that there seem to be few companies doing the manufacturing.

So are the components manufactured and sold separately to companies who then assemble the unit, augment it maybe (make it modular)? Or does one PSU need a specific set of components?

Do companies like Seasonic who are also on the manufacturing end go through the same assembling process as the resellers? Or do they begin the process of unit design from the manufacturing up since they have access to that level?

Thank you. You honor me with your knowledge. *bows*

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Seasonic factory tour: http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/events/...factory-tour/1

Companies assemble and sell the PSU as a whole. They have to be since they have to be designed and need specific parts. There are acutally dozens of PSU manufacturers. However, many are not good and some are not aimed at consumers.

Companies come to PSU manufacturers and do one of a few things:
1) Just make an order of a basic design
2) Tweak an existing design for cost, performance, features
3) Provide their own design (rare)

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
OEMS are common.
There are different levels of original equipment manufacturers,
For example, CoolerMaster asks/buys some PSU's from Seasonic
Seasonic buys components (Caps, Rectifiers, resistors, etc) from companies like Rubicon and other large OEMs.

How do you make a power supply?
On one hand, a rectifier is all you need! You must convert AC to DC, then you must filter out the noise and keep voltage constant
Hence the huge RC circuits

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Yeah, except SeaSonic costs too much for CoolerMaster.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Also a look at the Delta Electronics factory:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6718

There's a video of it around somewhere.

Delta does a lot of stuff for Dell, HP, etc, and also for Antec (most Earthwatts, BP-550, Signature, High Current Pro, etc.).

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Delta has an automated robotic assembly facility. No one else to my knowledge can afford one. But it still needs humans for the checks and some finishing work.

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
They are made by dwarves DEEP off over in a far away land where they are forced to wrok long hours and little pay. They also work in minds where they mine out the different parts of the power supplies. Some parts are good and some are okay. From their, they you volcanoes and hammers to make the parts.

^_^ Truths!!!

JK

IDK but googling doesn't hurt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts