Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Running tight on space for an exhaust fan and I am looking at a 15mm fan: Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex 140

The 98CFM seem a bit high on this fan, granted I don't have much experience with 140s. Most of the posts regarding these fans seem older.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm a fan of Prolimatech (company) so I had looked up info on these fans a year or two ago. They performed very well for their thickness but I never bought them due to the price (20 each)

Hope this somewhat helps

·
Registered
2,129 Posts

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm a fan of Prolimatech (company) so I had looked up info on these fans a year or two ago. They performed very well for their thickness but I never bought them due to the price (20 each)

Hope this somewhat helps
Still $20 a pop, though it is one of the few 140mm PWM fans I see at 15mm depth.

Hi there

Here is review of this fan over on cooling technique

http://www.coolingtechnique.com/rec...a-sleek-vortex-e-vortex-aluminum.html?start=5

Doesn't looks like would push 98CFM maybe half of that when I'm looking at review

In my case I tried run without and with exhaust fan, turned exhaust fan to intake etc and difference I saw minimal in my case running exhaust or not

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura
I wonder how they are measuring the CFM, from what I understand static pressure and CFM isn't that easy to measure by most people. Though I am not fully sure about the CFM claims on this fan. I have 6 intakes behind filters and rads and I am currently filling air coming out the back of the exhaust. I am thinking of adding an exhaust fan with good CFM, though it needs to get behind my hard line tubes.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Still $20 a pop, though it is one of the few 140mm PWM fans I see at 15mm depth.

I wonder how they are measuring the CFM, from what I understand static pressure and CFM isn't that easy to measure by most people. Though I am not fully sure about the CFM claims on this fan. I have 6 intakes behind filters and rads and I am currently filling air coming out the back of the exhaust. I am thinking of adding an exhaust fan with good CFM, though it needs to get behind my hard line tubes.

Hi there

If you are looking at their review and page 5 I think there you will see methodology of their testing

Cooling technique is one of the few websites with Thermalbench.com which really have good reviews of the fans etc

Assume you are running all fans as intake in yours loop or front/bottom as intake and top as exhaust?

I have tried to run bottom fans as intake with water loop, and top radiator fans as intake and with that combo my temperatures has been higher or worse than with top radiator fan set as exhaust and tried too run case exhaust fan as intake or exhaust and still there has been minimal differences between two setups and at the end I removed exhaust fan

Due this I would try run with or without the exhaust fan and remove all PCI_E slot covers as start

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

·
Premium Member
27,144 Posts

Thin fans make almost no pressue, so cannot overcome much resistance. I want all my fans to be rated at least 1.3-1.6mm H2O at 1200-1500rpm .. 1100rpm is about as loud as I want to hear my fans run.

CFM is easy to measure, but fans make such low amounts of pressure it is very hard/expensive to measure. The pressure differential of a fan is less than 4 mm H2O. To give you an idea of just how little that pressure is, it's about the same as the difference between having your toes in the ocean versus standing on a dock 8-20 feet above the ocean.

Keep in mind cfm ratings are with absolutely no resistance .. like a fan hanging on a string in middle of room. Add even a back grill and we loose 30-40% of fan's airflow.
http://www.overclock.net/forum/22657923-post15.html

Also keep in mind a case only flows as much air as the less of the two, it's intake or exhaust. Every bit of air flowing into a case must be flowing out as well / every bit of air flowing out of case must first be flowing into it.
http://www.overclock.net/forum/22319249-post5.html

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I might just not use an exhaust, I can feel air coming out the back w/o a fan. I can also feel air coming into the system from vents where the intake fans pull from. My fans are rated ~1.88mmh20 and ~2.20mmh20 for the set of 3 different fans I have. Both my CPU and GPU are water cooled w/ dual 360mm rads.

·
Premium Member
27,144 Posts
I might just not use an exhaust, I can feel air coming out the back w/o a fan. I can also feel air coming into the system from vents where the intake fans pull from. My fans are rated ~1.88mmh20 and ~2.20mmh20 for the set of 3 different fans I have. Both my CPU and GPU are water cooled w/ dual 360mm rads.
With 1.88 & 2.2 mm H2O rated intake fans at assuming approx 1300 rpm you shouldn't need exhaust fan/s: thumb:

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Hi there

Here is review of this fan over on cooling technique

http://www.coolingtechnique.com/rec...a-sleek-vortex-e-vortex-aluminum.html?start=5

Doesn't looks like would push 98CFM maybe half of that when I'm looking at review

In my case I tried run without and with exhaust fan, turned exhaust fan to intake etc and difference I saw minimal in my case running exhaust or not

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura
No thank you Jura. It's odd that the 140x15mm Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex 14 produces less static pressure and the same CFM as the 120mm version -- probably due to the slower RPM.

For the 140x15mm Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex 14 you can purchase an accessory that supposedly boosts the static pressure:
http://www.prolimatech.com/en/products/detail.asp?id=2944&page=1

1 - 9 of 9 Posts