Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a replacement for my 2500k. Does anyone have advice to find a new one for retail price? or should i go used? I've only seen refurbished ones for 180. But I was really hoping to oc the processor. Hence why I'm nervous about refurbs. Thank in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,166 Posts
If you look around and ask on the OCN marketplace, it seems like there's always someone there who has a 2500K or a 3570K (also compatible with your board) either for sale or that they're willing to part with.

A lot of "refurbished" CPU's are perfectly working units that were sent back by wannabe DIY'ers that didn't know what the heck they were doing, but can't be resold as new. Even ones that really did have problems are retested and certified at Intel before going back out, and as long as they have a warranty, you're OK.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately the board and 2500k burnt up together. I bought a board from a fellow ocn'er. Foolishly hoping the processor was still good. It's a z- 68 series. And I'm a little leary of a extremely oced cpu. Like ones i would expect to see here.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
No such thing as a repaired CPU,so refurb is just open box or returned. Nothing wrong with that and nothing wrong with used CPUs either.

·
Premium Member
4,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjeet View Post

No such thing as a repaired CPU,so refurb is just open box or returned. Nothing wrong with that and nothing wrong with used CPUs either.
It is possible. If a CPU accidentally shipped with a bent or broken pin, it would be sent back to AMD or Intel and repaired. Or if one of the diodes on the top of the PCB, under the IHS, failed, it could be replaced.

But the vast majority of refurb CPU's are perfectly fine chips that were not used properly by their owners, and returned as defective when the only thing truly defective was the knowledge of their original owner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutusMaximus View Post

Unfortunately the board and 2500k burnt up together. I bought a board from a fellow ocn'er. Foolishly hoping the processor was still good. It's a z- 68 series. And I'm a little leary of a extremely oced cpu. Like ones i would expect to see here.
You can always ask the seller. I don't think most people on the OCN community would lie about it, and you can't sell here without having a decent amount of rep in the first place. Heck, when I sell old CPU's, I tell people what they OC to, and in some cases, that makes it more attractive to the buyer, since they know what it will do beforehand.

The CPU and GPU I'm running in my sig rig were both purchased here, and they're both working well. The seller who sold the 6970 even put in his listing that it had been used for mining.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts