Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for some bassier headphones that were a bit higher qualtiy and came across the AKG k81's.

I was wondering-
-will these work on my ipod nano 3rd gen w/o an amp?
-are these good headphones?
-if not other suggestions under $100

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by YOSHIBA View Post
I was looking for some bassier headphones that were a bit higher qualtiy and came across the AKG k81's.

I was wondering-
-will these work on my ipod nano 3rd gen w/o an amp?
-are these good headphones?
-if not other suggestions under $100

Thanks
1) Yes

2) Yes

3) Denon D1001 can be found for around $100 (maybe a little more) if you have patience to look for a deal.

K81DJ is an excellent headphone for portable application and specifically works well with Electronica, Techno, Downtempo, Ambient, etc.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 20Driver07
View Post

I have a set for work.

AMAZING.

I would never change them for any other set of cans

I beg to differ

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
as everyone has stated they are very good cans. There are only a couple things that would keep me from saying they are the 'ultimate' 'budget portable can.

1. they do sound better amped.
2. bass is a bit flabby and mids are a bit recessed without a couple simple tweaks
3. the cord is way too long.

I say go with them now, then save up for a mini3 portable amp. Then get a better cable that is shorter and do the tweaks.

I'm pretty picky though so you can take my comments with a grain of salt... also my idea of 'budget' is what some would consider the most they would spend.

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2
View Post

I'm pretty picky though so you can take my comments with a grain of salt... also my idea of 'budget' is what some would consider the most they would spend.

I think our ideas of budget components are beyond what most any normal person would spend

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
I have a set I use for work. While they sound great, the headband is kinda small and tight. First thing you'll need to do is stretch them out - do some searching online and there are some tips that help a lot. You'll need to stretch them horizontally (ear to ear) and vertically (top of the head) It took about a month or so for them to stretch out and get comfortable. My only other gripe is that the cable is pretty long. One of these days, I'll get a shorter one put on.

But, with that said, they sound freakin' awesome unamplified on both my Zune and my laptop. I'm very happy with them.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by e_dogg
View Post

I have a set I use for work. While they sound great, the headband is kinda small and tight. First thing you'll need to do is stretch them out - do some searching online and there are some tips that help a lot. You'll need to stretch them horizontally (ear to ear) and vertically (top of the head) It took about a month or so for them to stretch out and get comfortable. My only other gripe is that the cable is pretty long. One of these days, I'll get a shorter one put on.

But, with that said, they sound freakin' awesome unamplified on both my Zune and my laptop. I'm very happy with them.

that's what i've heard
thanks

·
Registered
396 Posts
I've owned the K81DJ's for 2 years and haven't even considered buying another pair of cans since then. The long cord just started giving me problems a couple weeks ago. No sound out of the left side unless I move the cable around. Nothing a little cable doctoring won't fix. After dealing with the immense cord for all this time, a short cord will be a godsend.

As people have been saying: until you break them in, they get uncomfortable after 1-1.5 hours of wearing them. Otherwise, they're a steal at under $100 (I think I paid $70 shipped).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts