Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I'm looking for a PSU that I can trust to not create coil whine on GPU's. (Specifically, the 980 Ti)

Would the Corsair RM850/750i be a safe bet?

Backstory:
I originally bought a Corsair RM850. After finding out that it had sub par components, I decided to refund it and buy an EVGA G2 850 which I heard was a top notch PSU. At this point, I was also dealing with 980 Ti having coil whine. To remove as much variable as possible, I needed a PSU that I know for sure wouldn't cause coil whine. Which was why I ditched the RM850 despite it not being defective in any way. So, the EVGA G2 850 arrived, however, the unit I got had fan noise issue, 2 replacement later, all have fan noise issue. Yes, I managed to receive 3 EVGA G2 850 with fan noise issue... (Demonstration of the issue) I have emailed EVGA to ask them how much shipping would cost to RMA directly with them. My previous two RMA with Amazon costed me 82 euros total... So depending on EVGA's estimate shipping cost, I will either be RMAing the G2 again, or refund it and grab another top quality PSU. I checked this thread and searched up the cost of all the tier one PSU at where I live (Spain). Only the G2 and RMi series had sane cost. So there you have it, my question, can I be sure the RMi won't cause GPU coil whine? Or should I cough up all the extra cost and continue on getting another EVGA G2?

Thank you!

The RM850i costs 164 euros here. The EVGA G2 850 costs 165.08. Regardless, I am only concerned with the quality of the RMi, not the price.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,413 Posts
The Corsair RMx is a cheaper version of the same platform
Corsair RMi and RMx series explained

The RMx is the RMi without Corsair Link but since its a stupid and broken gimmick you are better off without it.

And you cant be sure you wont get coil whine.

• Rep+
Reactions: crystal6tak

·
Registered
27 Posts
New version of HWiNFO lets you monitor temperature, voltages and power of corsair RMi/HXi, so you can avoid corsair link if you want, except for fan speed and toggle single/multirail.

·
Premium Member
3,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal6tak View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

The RMx is the RMi without Corsair Link but since its a stupid and broken gimmick you are better off without it.
Cool, but how is the quality of the RMi/RMX compared to, say, an EVGA G2?
Similar. Both have excellent build quality and sensible designs. The Corsair RMi/RMx has great ripple/noise control but the EVGA G2 is even better, though the RMi/RMx has slightly better transient load handling response.. Voltage regulation is great on both. The main difference is that the Corsair is quieter acoustically.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,413 Posts
Both of them are about the same.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undead36 View Post

New version of HWiNFO lets you monitor temperature, voltages and power of corsair RMi/HXi, so you can avoid corsair link if you want, except for fan speed and toggle single/multirail.

Interesting! Does that work with the RMx series? Or only RMi?
Quote:

And you cant be sure you wont get coil whine.
Apparently the RMx uses rifle bearing fan instead of fluid bearing fan the RMi uses. Any idea how much worse that is?

·
Senior OCN Member
40,413 Posts
Software is useless for reading voltages as its unreliable, inaccurate, and imprecise and therfore a waste of time.
If you want any true reading you need a digtal multi meter.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes, but power monitoring is pretty reliable and you don't need to take out efficiency, you can get DC power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal6tak View Post

Interesting! Does that work with the RMx series? Or only RMi?
RMi only for software monitoring.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,413 Posts
You are aware that Corsair dont make any of the PSU they sell right?

·
Senior OCN Member
40,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltElite View Post

Arent Seasonic and Enermax the only two that make and sell their own?
Enermax has lost their factory so they dont anymore

OEM´s i can name that both make and sell their own (not sold eveywhere)

Acbel Polytech
Andyson
CWT
Delta
FSP
HEC aka Cougar (not very good for the most part)
HighPower
Huntkey
Seasonic
Super Flower

·
Registered
990 Posts
Ha! my last psu was a Cougar made by HEC. Cougar just came out and I thought id give it a go. Not that great at all.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltElite View Post

Ha! my last psu was a Cougar made by HEC. Cougar just came out and I thought id give it a go. Not that great at all.
The Cougar GX and GX.2 as well as the gold rated AeroCool GT models was okey but everything else i have ever seen by them is rubbish.
No idea how good the new GX.3 is but at least its rated for 50c so i dont think its their worst series.

The single worst OEM out there is Solytech aka Dear, if you see anything made by them its junk and should be destroyed on sight.
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page5471.htm

Anyway we are going off topic.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,413 Posts
Yo there is snake comming out of your PSU so better kill it.
The SX dont look that bad maybe just average or below.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

The Cougar GX and GX.2 as well as the gold rated AeroCool GT models was okey but everything else i have ever seen by them is rubbish.
No idea how good the new GX.3 is but at least its rated for 50c so i dont think its their worst series.

The single worst OEM out there is Solytech aka Dear, if you see anything made by them its junk and should be destroyed on sight.
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page5471.htm

Anyway we are going off topic.
No no, I do not mind at all! I am learning quite a lot from you guys, especially you.
tongue.gif

As to update this thread, thank you all for the responses! I have sent a refund request for my third G2 unit. Very likely switching out for a RM750x. Even though I still haven't heard back from EVGA yet for a quote on RMA shipping cost.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,413 Posts
Going on with OEM´s has anyone ever heard of a company called SevenTeam?
They are like the mafia they are about as shady as you can get.

Not sure if they are still around but i hope they are not.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts