9-9-9-24

MCH Strap AUTO
QPI Frequency AUTO

1.21V VCORE
1.30V VTT
1.05V PCH
1.80V PLL
1.60V DRAM

20 passes LinX stable using all my RAM, max temps 70C during LinX.

Are these settings ok and are the voltages safe for 24/7 OC?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
take speed step off and i i dont no about your board not see turbo before but i would take that off as well it will limit your clocking

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by koooowweeee View Post
take speed step off and i i dont no about your board not see turbo before but i would take that off as well it will limit your clocking
I dont want to turn either of those off, Im not trying to get a higher overclock, this is the speed im looking to get with turbo and EIST on, what Im asking is are the voltages safe for 24/7?

·
Registered
902 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by melterx12 View Post
I dont want to turn either of those off, Im not trying to get a higher overclock, this is the speed im looking to get with turbo and EIST on, what Im asking is are the voltages safe for 24/7?
Do stress testing and keep an eye on your temps. If your okay with those temps then yes. Try to keep everything under high 70s

Also you can keep turning v-core down and stress testing until you find the lowest stable vcore

Hope this helps

·
Registered
409 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by melterx12 View Post
160x21 = 3.4ghz.

BUT

that's with all 4 cores under full load.

With turboboost enabled that becomes 160 x 24 = 3.9ghz

You can only test turboboost stability when you run prime95 or LinX or IBT with only one thread running. You should test every core seperate like this. If then all 4 cores are stable, you have a stable oc with turboboost enabled.

My i5 runs @ 3.6ghz, but when turboboost kicks in it becomes 4.2ghz. All stable.

EDIT : also, take QPI frequency off the auto setting. Set it at the lowest value.

I also noticed your vcore @1.21v
You tested this in prime95 with 4 threads.
So you didn't test this vcore with TB engaged.
That means your rig is stable at multiplier x21,
but probably not with TB engaged (x24).

This is how I did it :

First determine a stable oc, in your case that's 160x21=3.4ghz
You allready know this is stable @1.21 vcore.
But with TB engaged it will become 160x24=3.9ghz
So you will probably need more vcore to make that stable.
Maybe also a bit more vtt (cause c-state and c1e usually require more vtt).

But it is difficult to determine the exact vcore with TB enabled cause you probably have vcore set to offset.
So first make sure you have the exact stable vcore for 3.9ghz
You do that by disabling speedstep, c1e, TB and c-state and do a static oc to 3.9ghz and determine your lowest stable vcore (Let's say that will be for instance 1.30v).
When you have that stable, write down vcore and vtt values.

Now make sure speedstep, c1e, turboboost and c-state are all on in bios.
set multiplier to auto
BCLK to 160
dram to 1600 (or whatever you want your mem to run with)
vcore to offset. Offset value should be a value which, added to the stock vcore, gives you the exact vcore you have just determined (for instance 1.30v).
Set all other values to the ones you allready had.

Now run prime95 with only one thread.
In cpu-z you should see the multiplier jump up to x24
Let it run 8+ hours.
It should be stable, if not add a notch to vcore, and if neccessary vtt.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by genuine555 View Post
160x21 = 3.4ghz.

BUT

that's with all 4 cores under full load.

With turboboost enabled that becomes 160 x 24 = 3.9ghz

You can only test turboboost stability when you run prime95 or LinX or IBT with only one thread running. You should test every core seperate like this. If then all 4 cores are stable, you have a stable oc with turboboost enabled.

My i5 runs @ 3.6ghz, but when turboboost kicks in it becomes 4.2ghz. All stable.

EDIT : also, take QPI frequency off the auto setting. Set it at the lowest value.
why set QPI to a lower value?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by koooowweeee View Post
Yes spped step will limit the clocking, but spped step is designed to help your system not harm it. I would highly suggest keeping speed step on. Your computer doesnt need to be at full clock when your checking your email, or on overclock.net etc etc. When your pc is idle, let it conserver power, and heat. With speed step enabled it will bring your over clock back down to stock settings and then when you move into load it will automatically bump back up to your clock. Everything else looks great, I stress test using intel burn test. In my opinion it is much easier to use, and if you pass on the standard and medium/hard settings that is equivailant to a 6-8 stress test. Intel burn is also a much newer program.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is the VTT voltage safe? Anything under 1.3 gives me blue screens because of memory errors (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON-PAGE_AREA)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Jesus, ppl, take a load off

You can turn on all that stuff after you determined a static stable oc without issues.

If you want to hit 4.2ghz with TB, first do a static oc to 4.2ghz and see what vcore/vtt/... is needed to make it stable.

Write those values down.

Then enable c1e/speedsteppy and turbo/c-ctate.
Set vcore to offset. The offset value will be a little trial and error, to make it run at the same vcore you had with the static oc.
Set multi at auto
Calculate which BCLK x21 will be 4.2ghz with x24.
In this case :
175x21=3.6ghz
175x24=4.2ghz

So BCLK will be 175 to let turboboost hit 175x24=4.2ghz.
Multithreaded you will have 175x21=3.6ghz.

Stress with prime or Linx or IBT, with only one thread running.

Easy as pie

My TB oc untill now :

TB engaged :

[/URL][/IMG]

Idle :

[/URL][/IMG]

Multithreaded :

[/URL][/IMG]
I just turned this on, just to show voltages and temps. I know it is stable allright.

Important thing is to set vcore to offset value. Otherwise c1e won't lower your voltage when idle.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wow you guys really dont read anything but the original post do you... Im not trying to hit 4Ghz or any thing else, I already reached my goal: 3.36ghz, and have no desire to go higher whatsoever.

Furthuremore, I want to keep all the features that came with my CPU enabled, especially turbo boost. I bought a core i7 860 and paid for all the features including hyperthreading and turbo boost, and turning them off seems stupid (to me anyway), If I didnt want these features I wouldve simply chosen an i5/i3 and just overclocked it.

Also, why would I turn off turbo or any of the features if theyre not giving me problems? I did 20 passes of LinX with all memory, 5 passes of IBT, 2 hours of prime95, and 2+ hours of Bad company 2 and its b een 100% stable so far. If I do see that it is unstable in the future I will decide what to do to get it stable, but for now this is not my concern.

All im asking is are my settings, more precisely are my VOLTAGES safe to use 24/7?

·
Registered
902 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by melterx12
View Post

wow you guys really dont read anything but the original post do you... Im not trying to hit 4Ghz or any thing else, I already reached my goal: 3.36ghz, and have no desire to go higher whatsoever.

Furthuremore, I want to keep all the features that came with my CPU enabled, especially turbo boost. I bought a core i7 860 and paid for all the features including hyperthreading and turbo boost, and turning them off seems stupid (to me anyway).

Also, why would I turn off turbo or any of the features if theyre not giving me problems? I did 20 passes of LinX with all memory, 5 passes of IBT, 2 hours of prime95, and 2+ hours of Bad company 2 and its b een 100% stable so far. If I do see that it is unstable in the future I will decide what to do to get it stable, but for now this is not my concern.

All im asking is are my settings, more precisely are my VOLTAGES safe to use 24/7?

Just look at your temps. No one is going to have an exact VOLTAGE for you. Every machine is different.

Chill out mate

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by R1P5AW
View Post

Just look at your temps. No one is going to have an exact VOLTAGE for you. Every machine is different.

Chill out mate

Im not angry or anything sorry if the wall of text I wrote came off as such.

Im not asking for voltages I just want to know if the voltages I set are within a safe range. I know the safe limit for VCORE is 1.4V but I have no clue if VTT is within a safe range.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts