Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
11,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously... is networking ever easy? Why is it so complicated and frustrating to hook a cable up between two rigs and share some files? I've got my laptop and desktop (both win 7) connected and i can see and copy to the sharing folder. Unfortunately the copying simply freezes halfway through, refuses to cancel, refuses to shut down and i have to power-off the laptop manually.

Naturally this is complicated by the fact that the Enterprise build of 7 on my laptop doesn't have a network and sharing center and i have no idea how to change it from a public network to a private network or even if it's required.

Sigh.

·
Premium Member
18,591 Posts
Can you setup a homegroup? I found that the easiest way to share :/

·
Banned
11,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there's a homegroup setup with my router but i don't know if you can make a second one and naturally i can't join the existing one with my laptop because there's no network sharing center.

·
Banned
2,241 Posts
My files share fine, basically share the C drive and go to your network settings and allow sharing to "everyone" - however at lans it is a real big pain, computers not showing up, really slow sometimes and times out

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
Is that laptop a work laptop? Windows 7 Enterprise isn't available to the general public...

If so, you could be dealing with a locked-down laptop...

·
Banned
11,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk-nVidia
View Post

My files share fine, basically share the C drive and go to your network settings and allow sharing to "everyone" - however at lans it is a real big pain, computers not showing up, really slow sometimes and times out

ed: woops didn't mean to post

Quote:

Originally Posted by ComGuards
View Post

Is that laptop a work laptop? Windows 7 Enterprise isn't available to the general public...

If so, you could be dealing with a locked-down laptop...

i got it as part of an education queensland trial of 1 laptop per student basically. It's a custom build.

·
Banned
11,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-block
View Post

If you have any cat5e cabling around you could just make a patch cable.
http://www.lanshack.com/make-cat5e.aspx

You probably don't, but I figured I'd add this to the discussion anyway.

if that's what i think it is then that's what i'm using. Also tried a normal blue one which didn't copy at all

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by T3h_Ch33z_Muncha
View Post

if that's what i think it is then that's what i'm using. Also tried a normal blue one which didn't copy at all

You got a router/hub?

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
Actually, I just re-read your post.

So the issue isn't actually accessing shares - the problem is that the file copying fails to complete.

You could be dealing with a memory issue on one of the two systems, or a sector-issue on the target hard-drive, or bad SATA cable on the desktop, or a device driver issue.

Not much help, I guess, but I suppose I'd start with device drivers for everything... I'd check all the hardware before isolating it as an OS-related issue...

·
Banned
11,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-block
View Post

You got a router/hub?

yeah but i have no idea how to use it to copy files from computer to computer

Quote:

Originally Posted by ComGuards
View Post

Actually, I just re-read your post.

So the issue isn't actually accessing shares - the problem is that the file copying fails to complete.

You could be dealing with a memory issue on one of the two systems, or a sector-issue on the target hard-drive, or bad SATA cable on the desktop, or a device driver issue.

Not much help, I guess, but I suppose I'd start with device drivers for everything... I'd check all the hardware before isolating it as an OS-related issue...

2GB on the laptop and 4GB on my desktop, the hard drives are fine and i would have found out before now if the sata cable was faulty rofl

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Quote:

View Post

2GB on the laptop and 4GB on my desktop, the hard drives are fine and i would have found out before now if the sata cable was faulty rofl

If you already have the shares setup, then you would just access them the same way you were before.

If all else fails, take out the laptop hard drive, connect to the desktop and put the files on that way.

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Nothing different than using a straight cable-connection... Probably better too.

Quote:

View Post

Ehhh... I hate to jump to conclusions. I had to replace a SATA cable of mine that would drop one of my HDDs after about 24 hours of uptime. Idle uptime to boot.

I would still use HDTune just to check SMART attributes for your hard-drives. I had a recent issue where some of my downloads would fail to complete - drive had a high number of reallocated sectors.

As for memory... A couple of quick passes with MemTest86 should be sufficient...

Not saying that you definitely have a hardware issue - but just something to keep in mind / go through as a check. Along with NIC and SATA/Chipset drivers.

·
Banned
11,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok well i've made some progress... connected my laptop to my router via wifi and added it to the homegroup. Only problem is i don't think i can do anything more because homegroup is locked out of the control panel :/

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

View Post

ok more progress: transferring via wifi into the sharing folder now instead of ethernet. only 20 times slower!

Sounds like your original issue is hardware related.

·
Banned
11,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
indeed. Ended up plugging my laptop into the router for ~11MB/s as opposed to 2.4 as opposed to 50... rofl

did happen with some files but overall seems to have worked OK.

·
Banned
11,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadCatMk2
View Post

The simplest file sharing way for me is.. an FTP server. You might have to get off your chair a time or two, but it always works.

i've wondered about that, but with a 12GB aussie quota and 60GB of files i don't think it would turn out too great

unless you can do it easily without hosting it on the interweb?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts