Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new with all this OC and case mod stuffs. I want to tell how hot my CPU and case temp are. Can anyone help me out? I got an AMD 3200 and use 100% of the CPU all the time running simulation. My pc is stock from the shelf, so it has only 1 case fan and no extra places to add more fans. I just got 2 fans and taped them to the side of the case to bring in extra cool air. It seems to bring the case temperature down a lot. My CPU is a little warm, but it's cool now in the room. If it's summer time, I won't be able to benefit from the extra cool air coming in.

Can someone help me find a way to measure the temp and set up some cooling scheme? I thought about getting a Antec case (server tower) on sale from bestbuy for 80 bucks. It's the biggest tower I have seen and comes with 450W power supply and 4 fans. But I just got my pc for like 2 weeks, so it's kinda wasteful to not use the case. The stock case is hot looking, but the front plastic cover actually restricts air flows.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Download a nice free little program called "Speedfan". It will tell you a lot of info about your harddrive temp, case environment temp, cpu temp and various fan speeds connected to your system. Just type "Speedfan" in your search engine and it will give you a link for the homepage.

Also realize that it is not only the number of case fans you have but their placement as well. It's best in a tower case if air movement is from front to back/bottom to top.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Welcome the the forum

1 If your motherboard does not have a prog to display the temps get MBM5 (motherboard monitor 5)
2 I shaved out the bottom unsean area of the front cover and cut out the darn stupid lil holes that restrict flow to reduce overall intaking restrictions.
3. Unless you want start cutting holes in your case the Antec is a GREAT idea. They are the only case and PS I buy.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate all the help you guys gave me.

The Compaq case is nice looking, but the plastic front actually restrict a lot of good air flow from the 2 fan opening. The original setup has only 1 case fan and 1 CPU fan. I put 2 extra case fans right on the side panel along the little air opening. I wish they have made that opening much bigger for better airflow. The aftermarket 90 fans blow 4 times as much air as the stock fan, which I don't know the exact size but it's a little bigger.

I am thinking I should get the Antec server tower just for the heck of it and start moving stuffs over. This is my new PC and will be my server whenever I get another PC. Therefore, I want to be able to have 5 hard drives in it. So far I have 2 160 gig of Samsung drive.

After posting this, I downloaded HDD Temperature and it works pretty good. My PC temperature is about 77 F idle and 82 F loaded. That's a little funny since I usually max out my CPU performance. Without the 2 extra case fan, the temperature is 83 F. I am not sure if that's the CPU temp or the overall temp. I'll read up now.

Thanks. More tips is welcome.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, I think HDDTemperature only measure the hard drive temperature. No wonder there isn't much difference between the temperature at idle and 6 straight hours of 95 to 100% CPU usuage.

Anyone here got know of a good CPU temperature indicator?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts