Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend gave me this 12" pioneer sub, it works fine but the cone and foam is cracked/ripped..is there a way i could fix it with some cheap stuff?? Without going out and buying a whole cone and foam replacement.

·
Is he still around?!
11,240 Posts
Yes you can. Get some silicone glue (like window silicone) and cover in the tear and let it dry fully.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by repo_man
View Post

Yes you can. Get some silicone glue (like window silicone) and cover in the tear and let it dry fully.

+1 and I'd hit it with a little gorilla glue first.

• Rep+
Reactions: waqasr

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by repo_man
View Post

X2.

Gave my original 15" about another 8 months of life.

• Rep+
Reactions: waqasr

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seriously?!?! Good stuff..ive a free working sub in a while thanks to you guys..reps all round..DAMIT repo man..wheres your rep button?!!

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by waqasr
View Post

Seriously?!?! Good stuff..ive a free working sub in a while thanks to you guys..reps all round..DAMIT repo man..wheres your rep button?!!

PHP abuse ftw!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Sorry Guys, but glueing this back together isnt going to work for very long at all. Ive been involved in the car audio industry for 8 years, installing, tuning and maintaining high end stereo installions. The first time any decent amount of power gets pushed through that sub the glue is going to crack.

The best way I can see due to size of the damage, would be to apply a very light layer of fibreglass on the BACKSIDE of the sub about 1/2" all the way round the crack, then filling the front side with an clear epoxy resin. The foam will be harder to repair due to its britle nature and some glues will melt the foam.

Ive done this to 2 pairs of Clarion PA15S 15" subs with perfect results each time.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
i always like to use black RTV gasket sealant. i had 2 digital design 1508's they where 8'' subs off about 2000wrms. and i went through the surround with a screwdriver.. :facepalm: but after a thin layer of RTV on the INSIDE, it was GREAT. i continued beating on those little puppies until the day i sold them (about 18mos.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flux
View Post

Sorry Guys, but glueing this back together isnt going to work for very long at all. Ive been involved in the car audio industry for 8 years, installing, tuning and maintaining high end stereo installions. The first time any decent amount of power gets pushed through that sub the glue is going to crack.

The best way I can see due to size of the damage, would be to apply a very light layer of fibreglass on the BACKSIDE of the sub about 1/2" all the way round the crack, then filling the front side with an clear epoxy resin. The foam will be harder to repair due to its britle nature and some glues will melt the foam.

Ive done this to 2 pairs of Clarion PA15S 15" subs with perfect results each time.

too much weight on only one side of the cone might cause the coil to rub the pole.... then he is going to be in big trouble. i would really try a thin layer of silicon first. if that fails, then try glassing it. after all, its not like ur going to be throwing 1000wrms at it??

·
Is he still around?!
11,240 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Verrater View Post
+1 and I'd hit it with a little gorilla glue first.
x2, I didn't see the crack in the cone, just the gasket. Use a little glue/epoxy on the cone, as posted above, too much will off balance the cone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by waqasr View Post

·
Premium Member
10,389 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flux View Post

I used to build and fix subs for Rockford Fosgate, and I couldn't agree more with your post.

That crack it way too long to be held with some sort of rubbery adhesive. The pressure inside the enclosure and the linear force are very strong. You are going to need something serious to hold that thing together.

I would suggest something very stiff to repair the cone, and silicone to repair the surround. Even then, I cannot guarantee how long that thing will hold together. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by l4n b0y View Post
too much weight on only one side of the cone might cause the coil to rub the pole.... then he is going to be in big trouble. i would really try a thin layer of silicon first. if that fails, then try glassing it. after all, its not like ur going to be throwing 1000wrms at it??
Thats why I said to only apply a very light/thin layer of FG, careful application will add next to no weight at all, being that the surround is of the size/stiffness it is, there will be very little side-to-side motion during normal usage.

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
you'd want a silicone adhesive sealant... scuff both sides of the crack, and apply a 1/4" bead to the crack, now use 50% rubbing alcohol to wet your finger and smooth out to a gentle hump on the cone.

if you want to balance the cone, apply the same amount of material on the other side of the cone

you want the toughest silicone adhesive sealant you can find, will see if i can find the stuff i'm suggesting... it's a clear/white silicone adhesive sealant that works in wet conditions and has a 25 year warranty

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oo..Now im not too sure what to do..ill give you guys another pic of the crack with the crack showing. Im thinking ill use a thin layer of fibre glass as i have some lying around..but the foam im not too sure what to do with...heres another pic, also it is only a 160 watt rms sub so its not going to have alot of power going through it.

Full pic

The crack in the cone

and the tear in the foam.

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
its a TS-W303C. I got it for free so if i can get it fixed for next to nothing why spend money on a new one.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Jb weld on the crack of the woofer cone. Make sure to give it time to cure. Someone that has been in the car audio industry for as long as some of you say you have, should know that FG is just going to crack off of a Polypropylene woofer cone. If JB weld doesn't work, duramix is a company that makes plastic patching compounds for all industries. You could find out from pioneer what type of plastic the cone is made out of and then get the proper type of duramix to patch it and basically it is just an extension of the plastic that is already there. On the surround everyone that said silicone is 100% in their right mind though. Also you could get a surround repair kit from a lot of different online speaker shops and just redo the entire surround.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Definately hit it with a light coat of glass, you wont need to apply some much it affects the balance. That crack is to big to glue. FG then expoxy the frontside. That surround is really damaged, it might be best to fill it from the back with black silicon rubber adhesive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by skydeaner View Post
Jb weld on the crack of the woofer cone. Make sure to give it time to cure. Someone that has been in the car audio industry for as long as some of you say you have, should know that FG is just going to crack off of a Polypropylene woofer cone. If JB weld doesn't work, duramix is a company that makes plastic patching compounds for all industries. You could find out from pioneer what type of plastic the cone is made out of and then get the proper type of duramix to patch it and basically it is just an extension of the plastic that is already there. On the surround everyone that said silicone is 100% in their right mind though. Also you could get a surround repair kit from a lot of different online speaker shops and just redo the entire surround.
If the surfaces are cleaned using the right cleaners and the OP knows whats hes doing with FG, the repair should last for quiet some time provided the OP isnt pumping 800wrms into it.

I have used this method before with excellant results and little cost, after all, the OP has said he doesnt want to spend more than the sub is worth to repair it. FG is cheap, easy to use and will do that job.

Hope this helps.

Flux

1 - 20 of 20 Posts