Overclock.net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my laptop has hdmi, and i use it to watch blu-ray movies, but when i hook the hdmi into my tv, it just uses the internal speakers. usually i hook the dvd player and cable box to the tv using hdmi for video, then i use a coax or optical cable for the audio. My problem is that there is no optical or coax out on my laptop, and to get 5.1 i need to tap into the audio going through the hdmi. so how would i do that?

·
Premium Member
5,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just tried the optical out on the tv to the surround sound, and the surround system is only receiving a 2.1 signal from the tv, but that is better than the sound from the tv.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I am not sure if many TV's, or any for that matter will pass 5.1 through the optical out. Really do not have any experience in that area. Only thing I can think to try would be to check if their is an option in your player software or your TV menu for sound output.

I am sure someone with more experience will jump in soon.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Does your receiver have HDMI passthrough (both HDMI in and out)?

Laptop HDMI to receiver's HDMI in, receiver's HDMI out to TV.

·
Premium Member
5,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cordova
View Post

Does your receiver have HDMI passthrough (both HDMI in and out)?

Laptop HDMI to receiver's HDMI in, receiver's HDMI out to TV.

no, just coax and optical in.

·
Registered
104 Posts
what model tv is it? Probably doesn't accept 5.1 streams over hdmi. I'm in the same boat. The only thing to do is to hook it up through the receiver.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
as already said, its unlikely that your TV can take the 5.1 data from your HDMI and pass it over to your optical-out into your surround system. in any other situation you would want the audio data coming directly from the source (laptop) as even TVs that do support pass-through would sacrifice your audio quality. Since the lack of support on your TV is limiting you, you may have to settle for 2.1 support. But this is all the reason to pick up a standalone blu-ray player/PS3 to get the full experience!!

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Are you sure the laptop is actually sending 5.1/7.1 out the HDMI... Can this be looked at in your TV, in one of the menus?

It may be possible the laptop is only sending 2.1 which is why the optical from the TV is only sending 2.1 to the AVR. Some TV's will have a setting to "passthrough" the digital signal... this will send whatever the TV is getting to the AVR...untouched.. not exactly untouched, but it will split the audio out of the video signal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by {core2duo}werd
View Post

My problem is that there is no optical or coax out on my laptop, and to get 5.1 i need to tap into the audio going through the hdmi. so how would i do that?

I should note, based on this question... there is no way to just take the audio portion straight off the HDMI cable. The audio in HDMI "rides" with the video signal, utilizing the video's clock signal and is carried in the videos "blanking" period. This means you can't just pull the audio in the form of say a coax connection from the HDMI connection.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by {core2duo}werd View Post
but it's a 40" Samsung 1080p.
Well, that's actually enough information... IIRC samsung only makes 1 or 2, 40" LCDs that actually have optical out... neither of which will provide more than 2.1 channel sound from an externally connected device via HDMI, they will only send 5.1 from their internal digial OTA tuner.

A somewhat pricey fix is something like this: http://ambery.com/hdauspwiopto.html

although I can't speak to the quality of any of them, pricing is all over the place for break-out boxes like this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts