Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have laptop that I have no idea how to price. I am not allowed to post in the appraisal section because I am 99% a lurker and have no rep.

There is a 0% chance that I am selling the machine through the site, I am giving it to a family member and we are trying to determine how much I should get for it.

There's no other website with a member-base that I trust to be as knowledgeable and mature as OCN and I really would like some advice without breaking rules.

Thanks

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,071 Posts
I've learned that OCN can't make exceptions because if they make an exception for one person, then they have to start making exceptions for others. Before long, they have to start making exceptions for everyone.

The only thing I can recommend is to shop around for your laptop to see what other people are selling it for. That will give you a general idea of what prices you can set for it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I completely understand the policy. I've got some good information now.

Is it completely inappropriate about discussing appraisals outside of the market forums?

·
Premium Member
8,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBatman1337 View Post

I completely understand the policy. I've got some good information now.

Is it completely inappropriate about discussing appraisals outside of the market forums?
Yes it is inappropriate and is against forum rules. As TwoCables said there can be no exceptions sadly, have a look around on eBay and similar websites to see what you can get for it.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
You could however send someone the specs over private message if they allow you to, and you can get an appraisal that way. Don't ask me though, I suck with laptops;)

·
Bod ***s rock
22,857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHDadditiv View Post

You could however send someone the specs over private message if they allow you to, and you can get an appraisal that way. Don't ask me though, I suck with laptops;)
PMs are still subject to the ToS so you cannot ask for appraisals via PM.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Not being rude and certainly not promoting any rule-breaking, but it seems a bit unfair to restrict what can be discussed via private message; excluding spam, threats, et cetera of course.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightEMatt View Post

Not being rude and certainly not promoting any rule-breaking, but it seems a bit unfair to restrict what can be discussed via private message; excluding spam, threats, et cetera of course.
I have to agree, if both parties agree to it, what exactly is the problem? I'm not trying to be " that guy " or anything, but it does seem quite unfair.

·
Premium Member
22,342 Posts
Quote:

I have to agree, if both parties agree to it, what exactly is the problem? I'm not trying to be " that guy " or anything, but it does seem quite unfair.
Well the staff don't go through the private messages, so you don't have to worry about it from that aspect.

Having the TOS apply to PM's really helps if someone is sending out a bunch of PM's to random people asking for appraisals or trying to sell the item. Or sending unwanted PM's of any sort that wouldn't be acceptable on the forum. Then you can just complain to a staffer with a screenshot of the PM's or something, and it could be dealt with. The moderators do need some rule to be broken in order to take action.

·
Bod ***s rock
22,857 Posts
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well what is the point of having a rep restricted section if we allow members to circumvent the requirement?

If the ToS did not apply to PMs then we would have members who do not meet the 35 rep requirement PMing other members trying to sell their items, members asking for help pirating software, members asking for free stuff and everything they cannot do in the open forums.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Ok makes sense. Thanks for explaining that.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
612 Posts
Quote:

^^^^^^ what this guy said. listen mods???^^^^^^^

·
Premium Member
15,004 Posts
Hm. I'm a bit bothered by the fact that Appraisals need rep at all.. They aren't selling, buying, or anything. Just asking how much their stuff is worth :/

·
Bod ***s rock
22,857 Posts
The thing with appraisals is you are still advertising the fact you are willing/looking to sell so the same rep requirement is placed on creating appraisals as creating for sale/wanted/trade listings as all of them actively advertise the fact you wish to sell/buy/trade an item.

·
Registered
26 Posts
There are a few websites you could use to look that info up at. That along with other peoples point of view should give you a good estimate.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts