Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this in my rig:

Asrock fm2a88m extreme 4+ motherboard
Kingston hyper x 2400mhz ram (can only run them at 2133 on my mb)
Gigabyte R9 270X OC (stock speed)
Artic freezer 13 cooler

Dont know if you need any other info.
I would very much like precise settings for mb so i can raise it from what it is now (4.3ghz) to 4.5ghz.

Thanks in advance :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyDK View Post

I have this in my rig:

Asrock fm2a88m extreme 4+ motherboard
Kingston hyper x 2400mhz ram (can only run them at 2133 on my mb)
Gigabyte R9 270X OC (stock speed)
Artic freezer 13 cooler

Dont know if you need any other info.
I would very much like precise settings for mb so i can raise it from what it is now (4.3ghz) to 4.5ghz.

Thanks in advance :)
Yes. Upgrade to an Extreme 6+ and you may have a chance. I doubt if the vrms on your board can hsndle the heat from upping the voltage high enoiugh. You had better have excellent cpu cooling as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,660 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael-ocn View Post

That might be more of a side-grade than an upgrade.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3872/arctic_cooling_freezer_13_pro_cpu_cooler_review/index7.html

hmmmm, then again maybe that would be an upgrade?

http://www.overclockers.com/arctic-freezer-13-pro-co
How dare you post this overclockers.com nonsense here. Banned.
buttkick.gif

No but you're right. The difference between a H60 and what he has is just not worth the currency.
OP try for 4.2 if you can get higher than that be happy. Just watch vrm temps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have it running at 4.3ghz with voltage set to 1.425, dont know how to chech vrm temp though.
 

·
Turtle Lives Matter
Joined
·
4,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyDK View Post

I have it running at 4.3ghz with voltage set to 1.425, dont know how to chech vrm temp though.
I check it with my finger. If it burns me, it's too hot
tongue.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by damric View Post

I check it with my finger. If it burns me, it's too hot
tongue.gif
That's the simplest way. Who said that? ]HWMONITOR.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by l0max View Post

replace your cooler with a simple closed loop cooler like the H60, what are your voltages like?
An H60 is an inadequate cooler for handling temps at full load. H80i minimum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
826 Posts
4.5 may be a bit much for your air cooler. I have my 7850k sitting happy at 4.5 w/ 1.46v... But I also have a swiftech h220 in push/pull keeping the heat down.

What temps at load are you getting at your current OC? Also, have you tried disabling your iGPU? It might help keep som heat down as with the 270x you won't be using the iGPU right now..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand3853 View Post

4.5 may be a bit much for your air cooler. I have my 7850k sitting happy at 4.5 w/ 1.46v... But I also have a swiftech h220 in push/pull keeping the heat down.

What temps at load are you getting at your current OC? Also, have you tried disabling your iGPU? It might help keep som heat down as with the 270x you won't be using the iGPU right now..
The Swiftech H220 is a great cooler, I have an H320 for my. FX-8350. Push-pull is a waste of time on a thin radiator and just adds to noise. Go to Martin's liquid labs web site and do some reading. All you'll get out of push pull is 1 degree Celcius. On thick radiators it will be a lot more effective.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by os2wiz View Post

The Swiftech H220 is a great cooler, I have an H320 for my. FX-8350. Push-pull is a wate of time on a thin radiator and just adds to noise. Go to Martin's liquid labs web site and do some reading. All you'll get out of push pull is 1 degree Celcius. On thck radiators it will be a lot more effective.
Yeah, the main reason I have it in push/pull is to get a little more airflow over my VRMs. I have the unit sucking air into the case from the top, with an exhaust out the back and found the little extra air helps keep the heat on the board down. I eventually plan to expand the loop...more out of fun than for any noticeable benefit
smile.gif
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand3853 View Post

Yeah, the main reason I have it in push/pull is to get a little more airflow over my VRMs. I have the unit sucking air into the case from the top, with an exhaust out the back and found the little extra air helps keep the heat on the board down. I eventually plan to expand the loop...more out of fun than for any noticeable benefit
smile.gif
I have a large super tower case. My cooler is top mounted on exhaust. I have a spot fan on the vrms and a whole host of other fans on intake , including one under the vrms on the bottom of the motherboard, a large 230mm fan on the windowed side of the case, 4 intake fans in the front drive bays, which only have ssd drives to cool, and a rear intake fan as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just got it stable at 4.5 i bumped up the voltage to 1.525 and now it works :)
I played little more than an hour of coh2 on a steamworks map with pop cap on 800, so there was a lot going on, and yes also a lot of lag with so many soldiers, tanks and effects. I checked hw monitor afterwards and here is my temps:

systin 38c
cputin 51c
auxtin 63c
tmpin3 40c

I have no idea what they meen, eccept for the cpu one ;-)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,427 Posts
Doesn't seem worth all the extra volts I'm running 4.2 undervolted 1.368
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drnilly007 View Post

Doesn't seem worth all the extra volts I'm running 4.2 undervolted 1.368
I agree. Bragging rights is nonsense. No point in wasting all that power for a speed that is going to throttle under load anyway.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyDK View Post

Throttle? How do i turn that off?
You can't . It is apparently built into the chip.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top