Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My graphic settings in QC (Quake champions) is everything on low besides lightning quality which i have on medium. I have my FPS caped at 150 and when i play TDM i get 107-150 FPS but mostly the FPS is somewhere around 120-140, but it drops below 140 all the time too. When i play duel the FPS is mostly somewhere around 140+ but drops to 130 quite often.

I have a Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti EXTREME EDITION 11GB, Intel Core i7-8700 and 16 GB 2600MHz ram. What do i need to do to get stable 144+ FPS in QC?, do i need 3200MHz ram or do i need a overclocked CPU or do i need one more 1080 Ti card?.

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
CPU frequency would definitely help, but I assume you don't have the unlocked 8700K since you only listed 8700 :(

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
It's an alpha game, the dips will hopefully die as the game matures with updates. Adding a GPU won't help here as the game is pretty easy to run, you need to find the bottleneck if any. In my case I'm held back by my CPU and RAM when running 144 FPS.

I get great performance with mostly high and ultra settings at 1440p. If you don't have a z370 board using fast ram may not work, IIRC you'll only get the speed supported by the CPU.

Since you have a much faster GPU, faster RAM and 2 more cores than me I'd expect you to be getting better FPS than me, you might look into software hogging resources and if you update your GPU driver instead of a clean install you might also use DDU to wipe the driver and re-install it.
Windows 10 is also pretty bogged down from the start, after cleaning it up I actually noticed quite an improvement in games, boot time and general use. I use O&O ShutUp to kill all the windows tasks that bog down the CPU, RAM and internet then after many of those tasks are gone I'll use CCleaner to remove the bloatware. O&O has a setting to prevent that stuff from installing again.

EDIT:
Hadn't played the game is a month or so because of overtime and a newly found game but I did a few rounds to see what I was getting to compare. My findings were that they've broken the game since then, I'm not allowed to use Ultra Textures anymore or even High and Doom Slayer felt very slow compared to how he was. I'm not saying the game looks bad but it doesn't have so much going on that the ultra textures will not run on 8Gb VRAM, Doom is built on the same engine and runs much faster at higher settings so I suspect the Devs may have a lot of kinks to iron out.

[email protected], [email protected], 8Gb [email protected], 1440p and medium preset.
Avg: 125.153 - Min: 91 - Max: 178
Doom (same engine) runs at the 144fps cap I've set with mostly Ultra and High settings and a smidge of AA.

IMO this is unacceptable for a game that's only on PC, there is no reason the the second fastest gaming GPU that you can get today should be forced to run medium settings and get these kinds of frame rates (especially when you consider that some people actually paid for it). I'll keep playing Ironsights and Fortnite till they fix it...both free, both run better.

·
Premium Member
20,153 Posts
Prolly use a gsync monitor will help?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If you don't have a z370 board using fast ram may not work, IIRC you'll only get the speed supported by the CPU. Since you have a much faster GPU, faster RAM and 2 more cores than me I'd expect you to be getting better FPS than me
I have ASRock Fatal1ty B360 Gaming K4, i think faster ram dont work with this board, correct?. If i cant have faster ram and i add 16GB more ram of the same, will it help any?.

What happens if i install one more Intel Core i7-8700?, will it help any?, 8700k is not supported by my board i think.

·
High Clocker
3,408 Posts
Its a CPU limited game.
I play on mostly high/ultra settings and get mostly 130-140fps with dips to 110fps.

Running 5.1ghz on 2 cores and 5ghz on 8 cores.
CPU overclock off I get 110-120fps with drops to 80fps on same setting.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Its a CPU limited game.
I play on mostly high/ultra settings and get mostly 130-140fps with dips to 110fps.

Running 5.1ghz on 2 cores and 5ghz on 8 cores.
CPU overclock off I get 110-120fps with drops to 80fps on same setting.
What happens if i install one more Intel Core i7-8700?, do you think it will help any?. Is it like having 6ghz?.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Install one more 8700? What does that mean?
You should be able to use 2666Mhz RAM but that's not going to help you much. Adding more RAM never helps unless you're actually using it. 8Gb is still plenty for 99% of games and shows a little improvement in the other 1% so 16Gb is more than enough.
The game took a serious downward turn since I last played, I wouldn't change anything about my rig to overcome what they messed up. They should just fix the game IMO, it's still Alpha after all (but they don't seem to have an issue trying to sell it as-is).
Seriously how is 8Gb not enough to run Ultra textures on a game that doesn't even have great textures? Looks fine IMO but far from using 8Gb. I could understand if it was recently ported from console but it wasn't.

You can install an 8700k in your board but you can't overclock it, currently you're limited to 4.3Ghz (all core) and the 8700k would be as well without a Z board. To put it another way there is nothing you can add to your current system to make it better for gaming, you'd need an 8700k/8600k and a z370 board. With that you'd also be able to OC the ram you have and get the CPU over 5Ghz.

The best thing you can do IMO is what I said earlier about fixing Windows.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
If you have a dual socket motherboard and CPUs made to work like that...you have a desktop computer. Even if that did work you'd have more cores but not a faster CPU and what you need to get high framerates is usually raw clock speed and high IPC which is why Intel chips dominate most of the 144+ rigs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts