Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
photo and video editing will do it. the guy in the print shop at work has 8 right now and *****es daily about needing more.

·
Premium Member
16,114 Posts
I don't do video or photo editing, but with 8GBs even iTunes was considerably snappier with the extra 'overkill'.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I used to have 8GBs,1 2GB module broke down, and now with six i'm happy.
Photo and video editing Indeed use the extra ram... I think today for a system that is being used a little heavily, 4GBs is the less amount needed

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KOBALT View Post
I don't really do much besides, surf, fold and game and I noticed a difference from 4GB to 6GB.
....doubtful....

Scientific/financial simulation, modeling, mathematics, video/photo editing, VMs, etc would easily use up more memory.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Go to youtube and type After Effects CS5.
For professional work most have dual CPU with 12 DDR3 slots
and buying 8GB of memory for a total of 96GB or ram.

Some use it as a Ramdisk.

There are applications where you need more memory.
I do video editing and I currently have 15GB of ram and wanting more.

·
Premium Member
14,173 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dracotonisamond View Post
multi tasking video/photo/sound editing programs, compiling custom maps for games, general system load.

i seem to find ways to use in upwards of 10GB sometimes lol.
This, sound is very important.

Until I get my CDJ's and a mixer for Christmas I mix on the computer... And trust me when I say 4GBs is not enough.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by metroidfreak View Post
Bad Company 2 or other games on my main screen and AIM, Firefox, fubar/WMP and sometimes more on my second screen
Most games = 2GB
AIM, Firefox, Fubar = 1GB
OS = 1GB or less.

Quote:

Originally Posted by E-Peen View Post
Until I get my CDJ's and a mixer for Christmas I mix on the computer... And trust me when I say 4GBs is not enough.
What application are you using? It doesn't use a disk cache?

·
FOCAL ARIA FTW
9,351 Posts
There we go. Reaching the limit of 6 GB of RAM with my sig rig.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
im about to increase my ram with a new build, rendering is 3ds max will go quicker and when i do 2gb wrap designs for the printers, its easier to move them with more power.

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by a2hopper
View Post

Dragon age once had me at 100% memory usage. Managed to minimize it (in about 3 mins and close it) only to have my comp crash right as it shut down.

I'm glad I didn't buy Dragon Age Origins yesterday, though I'm considering Battlefield 2 Bad Company still, just don't know if my Graphics Card Can handle that game on HD (one monitor).

This news comes of course at a shock to me, because Bioware has made some REALLY good games and the Aurora Tool-set for modules in those games, which is awesome coding wise.

I wonder if it has to do with Database, what where you guys doing, just playing game?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts