Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put in a new cpu whilst using the thermal paste already on the heatsink? I ask this because i have a cpu here....and no thermal paste yet....and well....you know.

·
Registered
720 Posts
... Dont do it just go buy some from like frys or even worst buy.. not worth the damages to your CPU without the thermal compound heat transfer would be severely limited and probably result in damages to the cpu you saved like $5 bucks in thermal paste but lost 80 for a chip? =\\

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by consume;12010471
Put in a new cpu whilst using the thermal paste already on the heatsink? I ask this because i have a cpu here....and no thermal paste yet....and well....you know.
Well it wouldn't be that devastating, just be sure to check the temps, and replace the TIM when you get the new stuff
smile.gif

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I do that all the time. Yeah your temps will be higher than they should be but it's better than nothing.

·
Premium Member
22,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mott555;12010514
I do that all the time. Yeah your temps will be higher than they should be but it's better than nothing.
Yeah this. Just take off any overclocks and put the paste on asap.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Depends.
What TiM was used before, how much of it and when it was applied.
Surfaces of both, cpu and heatsink.
What you intend to do while having old TiM.

If tim is really old and some white no name crap, it could overheat easy and fast and would just shut down all the time.
If good tim was used and proper amount was set you could be receiving only few digits more than with fresh one.
Could be worse If heatsink is terrible and with heatpipes that touch socket and needs to be filled.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Just because you find yourself being mounted but a hot dirty hooker doesn't mean you should do her without a rubber.

Play it safe and pick up some paste.

·
Bowser Has Ryzen!!
4,773 Posts
Use some toothpaste in the mean time, colgate total preffered. Ok no, just kidding.

You will be fine for a short period of time, just dont go stress testing and benchmarking. Probably should enable cool n quite too.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckclc;12010576
Use some toothpaste in the mean time, colgate total preffered. Ok no, just kidding.

You will be fine for a short period of time, just dont go stress testing and benchmarking. Probably should enable cool n quite too.
I was actually going to get some toothpaste....
thinking.gif

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
What's the CPU? I've actually run dual-core Wolfdale chips without any TIM before and it was fine. Not that I'd recommend it though.

·
Tinkers With Rigs
1,156 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark
View Post

Just because you find yourself being mounted but a hot dirty hooker doesn't mean you should do her without a rubber.

Play it safe and pick up some paste.

Sigged!

• Rep+
Reactions: Dark

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mott555
View Post

What's the CPU? I've actually run dual-core Wolfdale chips without any TIM before and it was fine. Not that I'd recommend it though.

IT's a q6600 and i just looked at my current cpu (e6320) and apprently i put a ****load of thermal paste on....im rubbing some off with my finger and putting it on the q6600...talk about being ghetto..

·
Bowser Has Ryzen!!
4,773 Posts
Quote:

I was actually going to get some toothpaste....

Nah, if anything I believe it would hurt. Just cuz its minty and cool in ur mouth, not so much for cpu. Plus its grainy and Im sure contains lots of air bubbles, not good for disapating heat from IHS to heatsink.

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
In thoery your temps would likely be very bad, just go buy some new thermal Paste

1 - 19 of 19 Posts