Overclock.net banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok basically I built a computer for my cousin that I also have to administrator from NJ and she lives in GA. I already set my remote desktop account as the only Admin and she is set to a power user and her children are set to just users.

I want to prevent lime wire from being installed on the unit. I will be doing periodic checks on the computer to make sure that it is being used for it's intent and purposes as well as making sure her kids don't download programs like lime wire.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,447 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gex80 View Post
Ok basically I built a computer for my cousin that I also have to administrator from NJ and she lives in GA. I already set my remote desktop account as the only Admin and she is set to a power user and her children are set to just users.

I want to prevent lime wire from being installed on the unit. I will be doing periodic checks on the computer to make sure that it is being used for it's intent and purposes as well as making sure her kids don't download programs like lime wire.
You don't give them permissions to install software at all. Windows doesn't allow such fine-tuned control of software.

Frankly, Limewire is a terrible application, true, but I'd be careful about stifling the children too much, you sound like you are being a little NAZIish about it, I'd say taking a more laid back approach and teaching the children why they shouldn't do X, Y or Z is a better idea than trying to force them not to, as nothing is foolproof, and kids love to rebel.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lattyware View Post
You don't give them permissions to install software at all. Windows doesn't allow such fine-tuned control of software.

Frankly, Limewire is a terrible application, true, but I'd be careful about stifling the children too much, you sound like you are being a little NAZIish about it, I'd say taking a more laid back approach and teaching the children why they shouldn't do X, Y or Z is a better idea than trying to force them not to, as nothing is foolproof, and kids love to rebel.
Lol I figured it out in the group policy editor.

As for being laid back. Sorry it can't be done. One of the little bad as s brats already ran away once and I had to remotely remove her password from her profile to figure out where she was. Turns out she ran away with some dude from mspace from NY mind you she is living in GA and was 14 at the time. She is 16 now.

There is no way I'm going to let her screw up this computer at all. Besides anything they need installed I can do it. Either point me to the website, or put the CD in the drive and i'll do it remotely.

That and they aren't computer smart so I don't want to deal with virus removals.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,447 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by razr7 View Post
use a firewall
How is that relevant?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Yeah because a good software firewall can stop apps from running and/or accessing the internet.

Also like to the guy who called the op a nazi. Who gets to decide what is right for his family? You?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,447 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertFox View Post
Yeah because a good software firewall can stop apps from running and/or accessing the internet.

Also like to the guy who called the op a nazi. Who gets to decide what is right for his family? You?
I said he was appearing to be being a little NAZIish, implying a very opressing control. It was a valid argument, and seeing as he took no offense to it, and understood my point, I don't see why you should.

And that's completely outside what a firewall should be doing, or you should be relying on it doing. If one doesn't trust a child to not install one piece of software, don't allow them to install anything. They could easily move on to another similar piece of software.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
I think people need to mind their own business when it comes to other people's families. Nice the OP wasn't offended but that doesn't make what you said right.

That's not completely separate from what a firewall should be doing. At least in the Winbloze world, they are application based. I see you run Arch so I'm sure we agree in principle about what you said. Firewalls are about packets and ports. But all the Winbloze firewalls let you control stuff at the application level, and they need it to stop Winbloze malware from exploiting the machine. Most of the threats in blozeville come from within, unlike the threat model in the NIX world, which is external. I think razr7 was on the right track and his suggestion will be easy and effective to use.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,532 Posts
well Mr.Nazi this is what you do!!! lol just kidding, no seriously though a firewall would be a good way to block the kids from installing programs like limewire. The reviews for norton 2009 are all rated highly, people say you cant even tell its running on the computer even when its doing a virus scan. Also you could block the sites via the web browser on the computer too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
391 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by DesertFox
View Post

I think people need to mind their own business when it comes to other people's families. Nice the OP wasn't offended but that doesn't make what you said right.

Then why are you commenting at all? Saying what you think is as imposing as what he said. There's nothing in the ToS about giving a RL solution rather than a hardware or software solution and that's all lattyware was doing was offering an alternative. And personally in my view he's correct if the OP wasn't in this particular situation I would say the same because more often than not there is always away around a restriction, especially when it comes to computers. Education > Restriction

Verrater
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Verrater
View Post

Then why are you commenting at all? Saying what you think is as imposing as what he said. There's nothing in the ToS about giving a RL solution rather than a hardware or software solution and that's all lattyware was doing was offering an alternative. And personally in my view he's correct if the OP wasn't in this particular situation I would say the same because more often than not there is always away around a restriction, especially when it comes to computers. Education > Restriction

Verrater

You think me telling somebody not to call a guy nazi for doing what he wants with his own family is on the same level as calling a guy a nazi for doing what he wants with his own family?

Besides what's your interest here? You just come in slinging mud because you like getting into arguments that have nothing to do with you or you had something to contribute to the thread?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
391 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by DesertFox
View Post

You think me telling somebody not to call a guy nazi for doing what he wants with his own family is on the same level as calling a guy a nazi for doing what he wants with his own family?

Besides what's your interest here? You just come in slinging mud because you like getting into arguments that have nothing to do with you or you had something to contribute to the thread?


It seems you are the new guy here wishing to pick a fight. I did offer something to the thread i affirmed lattyware's response by proving yours as a fallacy. He offered a RL solution where no one else had. Did you even read my post? Apparently not. Are you just trying to violate the ToS by baiting? Apparently so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,216 Posts
install limewire on the machine, block it using the firewall, password protect the firewall.
Kiddie has limewire...which they want, but it doesn't work - sorry, not your fault


My problem (with kids) used to be pronsurfing, no matter how much I explained the dangers (malware, not blindness) my 15/16 yr old son would be doing it...and as I consider it perfectly normal for a teenage boy to look at pron I gave him a bit of space (I do know how easily I could have blocked it all). What seemed to work with him was me taking longer each time to sort out the PC..maybe a week or 2 with a stuffed up PC made him think twice...ar at least be a bit safer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Verrater
View Post

It seems you are the new guy here wishing to pick a fight. I did offer something to the thread i affirmed lattyware's response by proving yours as a fallacy. He offered a RL solution where no one else had. Did you even read my post? Apparently not. Are you just trying to violate the ToS by baiting? Apparently so.

You seem to me to be an argumentative muckraking jerkoff. You had nothing to add to the thread, all the points were already raised. Is he your girlfriend or something? You added noise to the thread and nothing else that wasn't said already, until you started trying to dry hump me.

Take your own advice, back off and watch your own ToS-bating behavior. You're no old timer, not here and not anywhere. I do notice a couple a trends on here tho. You think you have some cred just because you like to rack up posts getting involved in issues that don't concern you.

Now run along, sissy-boy
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,447 Posts
I see how you can condem me for saying someone's way of approaching something was 'slightly-NAZIish' (could have use opressive, same meaning), but slagging someone off in such a direct way is fine.

Everyone is a hypocrit.

A technical solution is always the worst one in cases like this. The fact is, you can feel free to block limewire, but they can go and install a torrent client. Block that one, and they install another. There are millions of peer to peer apps out there, and blocking each one individually is a bad idea. Even if you do that, they could switch to newsgroups or even direct downloads. Not to mention peer to peer file sharing is not inherantly bad.

Of course, in this particular case, it might be the only solution, I didn't know the details at the time, but I was giving the best advice I could in the situation, and also gave a reasonable response from the software point of view too.

Anyway, this is the point I stop feeding the troll.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top