Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I sold my amd 1100t a few weeks ago, putting the old heat sink back on. Making sure everything works before I sold it. Well I just took out my motherboard(gigabyte 880ga-ud3h) and saw their was thermal grease on top of the socket. So I tried to clean it and just mad it worse. Can anyone help me out?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_2010 View Post

A small sewing needle and some articlean. Move the latch back like putting in a cpu and use yhe pin topick at the paste. If its still wet leave it out in the air till it dries.

What paste is it long as its not capacitive it be ok
Its arctic silver

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by szeged View Post

how did you even get it in there?
Im guessing I put too much on when placing the stock heat sink and went over the side, I just didn't notice it when taking out the cpu. I made it worse by trying to clean it. Forcing the grease down in the socket

·
Eh, Wha?
9,951 Posts
wooden toothpick, not needle. needles are made of harder materials than plastic and gold.

·
Eh, Wha?
9,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardalista View Post

Remove the battery and put it in the dishwasher and leave it to dry thoroughly before using it again
Thats fine, once the holes aren't completely blocked. Will do a great job of getting rid of any little residue that is left behind. As they currently are though the dishwasher probably won't do anything.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Get a bottle of isopropyl alcohol from the supermarket, the higher % the better. Dab a little in the socket with a toothbrush, scrub gently, and blow out with compressed air or canned air. Don't use too high of pressure if using a compressor. Don't force anything in the holes. Just keep rinsing with isopropyl. Since it is supermarket grade isopropyl, give it a few hours to dry after you are done before assembling and applying power.

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
You guys know this stuff isn't electrically conductive, right? And even if it was, it would have to be bridging two or more pins.

Cleaning this is going to cause more harm than leaving it alone. Infinitely more harm, because no harm has been done in the first place. Leave the friggin thing alone. It's fine.

·
Probably sleep deprived
5,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post

You guys know this stuff isn't electrically conductive, right? And even if it was, it would have to be bridging two or more pins.

Cleaning this is going to cause more harm than leaving it alone. Infinitely more harm, because no harm has been done in the first place. Leave the friggin thing alone. It's fine.
From the website:
Quote:
Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.
You really want to take that risk in the socket, be my guest.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
I would go with the Caned-Air! Maybe even a hair dryer if people even use those things anymore lol~ Back in the 80s you couldnt find a women that didnt have at least 3-4 hair dryers in there house haha. Big hair and Thermal paste a match made in heaven!

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilWrir View Post

From the website:

Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.

You really want to take that risk in the socket, be my guest.
That's a disclaimer because there are plenty of people out there (and on here) that will use any excuse they can come up with to RMA something because they screwed it up. For hecks sake I have anti-biotics that tell me I shouldn't drive or use heavy machinery. Like anti-biotics are mind-altering drugs. If you really believe the fine print on everything, you're a fool.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.