Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to use Handbrake because it will take advantage of all 6 cores most efficiently. However, I have no idea which format to convert to and what program to use to burn after. I am open for any freeware or software burning program. I just want something that will work very well and easily (preferably).

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Er... but will it use all the cores?!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,718 Posts
xilisoft video converter ultimate uses all cores
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,189 Posts
Handbrake only does the reverse, i.e. convert DVDs to MKVs. If you want to burn a DVD, try out ConvertXtoDVD. Not free, but easy-to-use and well worth the price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried Xilisoft and that says it uses all 6 cores (I even set it to that) but only ended up using one... Super weak. I just want a program that will utilize all 6 cores to make it go as fast as possible. No use in having this awesome CPU if I can't use it properly!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bump -- i will try that program later tonight and let you know how it goes. if anyone else has a suggestion that will utilize all my cores, please feel free
smile.gif
thanks
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,774 Posts
Are you looking for freeware? Cause thats whats tough.. Program developers creating freeware are not spending alot of time coding the software engine for multi threaded optimization...

DVD rebuilder pro with cinema craft encoder is a great program.. Not free tho..

I use Nero Vision, uses up all 4 of my cores, but I set afinity to 2 cores and it realy doesnt take much longer to convert & burn...
 

·
1689 Federalist
Joined
·
11,737 Posts
I was actually looking for something like this as well not too long ago. I also tried xilisoft. I like it for small stuff but it always seems to only use one core.

Convertxtodvd is good. I think it will use multi cores but its not going to peg them all like encoding with x264 will. I think you will have a hard time finding something that does. Its a good option though. Not freeware if you need help getting your hands on it though I may be able to help pm me.
biggrin.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10acjed;11728476
Are you looking for freeware? Cause thats whats tough.. Program developers creating freeware are not spending alot of time coding the software engine for multi threaded optimization...

DVD rebuilder pro with cinema craft encoder is a great program.. Not free tho..

I use Nero Vision, uses up all 4 of my cores, but I set afinity to 2 cores and it realy doesnt take much longer to convert & burn...
Well I would buy Nero since thats more applicable for other uses... doesn't necessarily have to be freeware. I thought I could have done this myself with Handbrake and a DVD burning software...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout;11728561
I was actually looking for something like this as well not too long ago. I also tried xilisoft. I like it for small stuff but it always seems to only use one core.

Convertxtodvd is good. I think it will use multi cores but its not going to peg them all like encoding with x264 will. I think you will have a hard time finding something that does. Its a good option though. Not freeware if you need help getting your hands on it though I may be able to help pm me.
biggrin.gif
So your saying convertxtodvd will use all cores but wont make full use of them? so it will be less than 50% for each core basically... right?
 

·
1689 Federalist
Joined
·
11,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceMaker;11728814
Well I would buy Nero since thats more applicable for other uses... doesn't necessarily have to be freeware. I thought I could have done this myself with Handbrake and a DVD burning software...

So your saying convertxtodvd will use all cores but wont make full use of them? so it will be less than 50% for each core basically... right?
They will just be bouncing all over the place. Not locked in at 50% or something like that. You should just try it and see how long it takes. Don't get too fixed on seeing all 6 cores at 100%. Only thing I have ever seen do that is a benching/stressing software or the second pass of an x264 encode.

Not saying nothing else does but its not real often.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Handbrake uses >90% of my cores. It's beastly when encoding stuff to smaller formats for my Droid X.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,719 Posts
@ PeaceMaker

I've used ConvertXtoDVD and even on some of the older versions it worked well in using all cores. But like others have said, it won't 'peg' your CPU usage constant. It will jump up and down and setting affinity or only four cores makes no difference in the usage. However, it is fast with a lot of options for menus, for breaking up video, etc. It's a great program.

As for using all of your cores up like with x264 encoding, but to burn a DVD, I don't think you'll find anything that really uses up the cores well and/or over 90%.
redface.gif
 

·
1689 Federalist
Joined
·
11,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceMaker;11729024
Handbrake uses >90% of my cores. It's beastly when encoding stuff to smaller formats for my Droid X.
Yes thats because you are probably encoding to h264.

Just for a test I just loaded an 8gb 720p mkv into convertxtodvd. I was getting 100fps and the time it said it was going to take was 45 minutes. Total cpu usage was around 20% that was with i7-950 at 4ghz with HT on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout;11729102
Yes thats because you are probably encoding to h264.

Just for a test I just loaded an 8gb 720p mkv into convertxtodvd. I was getting 100fps and the time it said it was going to take was 45 minutes. Total cpu usage was around 20% that was with i7-950 at 4ghz with HT on.
Thanks for the test! Thats what I thought would happen... I remember when I used to use Nero, it would recode the media first then burn. Wonder if it will utilize cores better.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top