Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do i create a dual boot thing? ( Linux from scratch to run on windows only when i want off a disk.

·
Banned
789 Posts
Most versions of linux come with a boot loader built into them (usuall GRUB, which is good) and gives you the option of what OS to boot too, it also allows you to set a default OS to boot into after a certain amount of seconds if you aren't present to choose.

·
Banned
789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by steveo42024
you asked the question. Ihave suse and it uses lilo
That's the other loader I was thinking of... Both Lilo and Grub work well and comes with pretty much every version of Linux. My laptop dual boots Fedora Core with Grub and never has a problem.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 6600Gt1047
how do i create a dual boot thing? ( Linux from scratch to run on windows only when i want off a disk.
Sounds to me like he's actually looking for a LiveCD and not a true dual boot setup. He wants to "run on windows" and "off a disk" so I would recommend trying out KNOPPIX or Mepis Linux. Hit up http://www.linuxiso.org/ to download the iso for the livecd.

You mentioned SuSE in a later post.. doesn't SuSE have a LiveCD release??

·
Registered
645 Posts
i noticed that before the 1st response, "boot magic", and u said cmon, well boot magic is actually a great booting program, usually bundled with partition magic. they are the best for partitioning and multi-booting, but the bad part is theyre not free, last time i checked $20 or something. if u want more info google it

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
livecd's of ubuntu can be ordered from their website. i ordered 10 disks!! 6 x86 and 4 64bit versions. ALL FREE! thanks to setite for the info

1 - 13 of 13 Posts