Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On facebook companies advertise with a shortened URL that will lead to their actual site. How do I create something like this? I don't know anything about coding and I would just like to create these short and tidy URLs.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Example? There's a number of ways to do things, or things similar, to what you're describing, so it'd help to know exactly what you're trying to replicate.

·
13,090 Posts

·
Registered
4,223 Posts

·
13,090 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seems like certain security measures still prevent my product from being advertised which is pretty weird.

So my next question would be how would I create a completely independent domain/website of my own that will forward to my product?

Thanks again guys

·
Stock *ahem*
6,382 Posts
Buy a domain name through a registrar, point it at an IP address where you have a small web server, and the only thing on that webserver needs to be an index.html that redirects to the actual domain. There are probably other more elegant methods but this is a simple enough kludge.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Server side scripting and a DB. This use this url and path for example yoursite.com/ShortLink , Basically in your DB you have tinyUrl and Actual URL. Then you setup your IIS, Apache or whatever to send anything outside of your actual pages to a specific PHP or whatever server side scripting page. Inside that PHP page, it takes in the parameter of ShortLink and checks the DB on where it should go, then redirects you to the proper url.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts