Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished my new comp with a 80GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. I installed Windows 7 64 bit on the SSD and some heavily used programs, such as Firefox and Avast. I also partitioned my HDD into two 500 GB volumes, one for media files and one for games. But I'm lost now: how do I get everything to automatically go on my HDD, and only go on my SSD when I want? I've been following this guide but I get lost after Step 1

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/how...ia_storage_ssd

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Unless you're severely pressed for space, all that stuff is just a hassle and waste of time.

It doesn't describe anything special - just moving user profiles and then installing games on another separate drive. Keep your profiles where they are, and when it comes time to install your games simply choose whether you'd like them on the SSD (for speed) or your 1TB drive (for space).

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Not sure what you're getting at. But when you install any program it always ask were do you want to install it at. (Which drive/folder) Just choose to install programs that you don't want on your SSD on your HDD.

You can make a Program Files folder on your HDD and just install whichever programs there. Also when you download stuff.. just select where you want it to go.. it aways ask. And if you use uTorrent or something like that you can automatically set it to download onto your HDD.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right, but I was asking because MaximumPC has such an elaborate way of doing it, even going into the registry...can you clarify what they are doing as opposed to just choosing where to install?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LooN! View Post
Right, but I was asking because MaximumPC has such an elaborate way of doing it, even going into the registry...can you clarify what they are doing as opposed to just choosing where to install?
Don't move your user folder into the HDD, waste of an SSD. It's really a matter of preference which you install into the SSD or HDD. I have the obvious choices on the 1TB like music folder and photos folder into the HDD, I have games with the loading times matter on SSD like competitive MP games (BC2, COH, DOW2), then I have games I could care less if it loads longer like SP games on the HDD.

For choosing where programs go, it's usually only available if you customize the install. All programs I use ask where to be installed, you just have to look out for it.

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
If you're not installing games or storing data on the SSD, I find it difficult to believe that you will fill up 80GB worth of programs to install... really...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dream Killer
View Post

Don't move your user folder into the HDD, waste of an SSD.

Why do you say that?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts