Overclock.net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
You can flash with a CD (by setting the CD to be the primary boot device in the BIOS).
Just make sure you back up your original video card BIOS first.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there are guide or program i could use for flashing on a cd? Also would i get a significant boost in performance?

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nugget

Is there are guide or program i could use for flashing on a cd? Also would i get a significant boost in performance?

Check those guides (they use a floppy but, like I said, you can do everything from a CD and it's exactly the same procedure).
Read these in order:
  1. Making an Emergency Flash Disk (very important).
  2. NVIDIA GeForce BIOS Backup Guide
  3. NVIDIA GeForce BIOS Flash Guide
Now, concerning the performance it all depends on what bios you are flashing to your FX5200. You can flash a 5500 bios.
The 5200 doesn't have any pipelines to be unlocked. So all a flash can give you is higher core and memory speeds. But you can do that with CoolBits too.
Just make sure you test the new bios before you flash it and make it permanent.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So if the flash only ups the the clocks then there is no real point is there?? Thanks for the links.

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
Performance on both the FX5200 and the FX5500 is identical (the difference is 2-3 FPS in games).
Both the FX5200 and FX5500 are based on the same core and both are available with a 64 and a 128-bit memory interface.
Be careful about that when/if you decide to flash the FX5500 bios to your card. Don't flash a 64-bit 5500 to your card if you have a 128-bit 5200 !

·
Registered
604 Posts
I flashed my (128 bit) 5200 to 5500 and I really didn't notice a change. Don't bother...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by zone

Check those guides (they use a floppy but, like I said, you can do everything from a CD and it's exactly the same procedure).
Read these in order:
  1. Making an Emergency Flash Disk (very important).
  2. NVIDIA GeForce BIOS Backup Guide
  3. NVIDIA GeForce BIOS Flash Guide
Now, concerning the performance it all depends on what bios you are flashing to your FX5200. You can flash a 5500 bios.
The 5200 doesn't have any pipelines to be unlocked. So all a flash can give you is higher core and memory speeds. But you can do that with CoolBits too.
Just make sure you test the new bios before you flash it and make it permanent.

But where does the backup of the bios go?? Its usually backuped str8 to the floppy disk. I dont believe DOS can write to a CD

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.