Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys soon i will be changing motherboards out as well as installing Windows 7.

And I cant figure out (or find) any information about software and programs i currently have that i want to have again on my new computer when i swap out the motherboards. (b/c i have to wipe my HDD for W7)

First off im a student who needs my Microsoft Office, I have a full edition of it but it is a 3 time use only CD Key, and i was wondering if it would be like the full version of w7 where if i uninstall it from my current computer, it will free up one of the 3 uses for the CD key? if not, ok, then i need to go buy another copy, so be it. But, if i can salvage one of the uses of the key by uninstalling, that would be so much better and easier.

secondly, I have itunes and A LOT of legally purchased music on this computer, if i change out mobo's, AND wipe my hard-drive, then re-install itunes on the new motherboard, how do i get my songs back? Granted i can just put them on my iphone now so i have them, but still, id like to be able to have them back on my computer. Is there a way to get these songs back once i swap those parts and stuff out?

also same thing with my STEAM or Origin games mainly BF3 and other games? im not sure how that works either

I'm in a real pickle about this and this is the major issue keeping me from just going nuts and swapping mobo's out right now. b/c my computer right now has all of it and i dont want to loose anything yet if i can keep from it.

I HAVE done a full backup of my computer to an exterior portable hard drive and i realize programs are not backed up.

if anyone has any insight into this I'd really appreciate it a lot b/c im really not sure how its gonna work.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
You will be able to download any games purchased from steam again as long as your CD keys are attached to the account. I believe I tunes is similar.

As far as Microsoft office goes. If you have a physical copy and are out of uses, you can call them and explain what youre doing so they can authorize it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

·
Old to Overclock.net
1,121 Posts
For iTunes it's pretty straightforward to just copy your library onto the new install. Do a google search eg "iTunes migrate library to new computer" or something similar and you'll find the right procedure.

Same advice for Steam. A quick google shows they have a backup feature so search something like "steam restore backup". You may have to migrate save games and other user data separately.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
As for your music, you can just copy/paste your music folder(s) to your external drive. After you re-install windows just move it back to your HDD and install itunes. With steam games there's a folder you can copy with all of your game data, just do a quick search here for steam game transfers. Don't forget to also back up the folders in your Documents folder, usually some game save data there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok guys thanks for the help ive figured everything out except for the Microsoft office thing.

If its legal to uninstall and "free up" a use of the cd key and then install it again on my new motherboard then i'd much rather do that then have to contact Microsoft. so does anybody know what i need to do for just that issue?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -dynastyyy View Post

Ok guys thanks for the help ive figured everything out except for the Microsoft office thing.
If its legal to uninstall and "free up" a use of the cd key and then install it again on my new motherboard then i'd much rather do that then have to contact Microsoft. so does anybody know what i need to do for just that issue?
Didn't know if you still needed help, but would rather reply than think you don't need anymore help.
If you uninstall Office, and are connected to the internet, they know you have uninstalled. I have used a three key CD on more than three computers, when you uninstall it, they know.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To raptorxrx, thanks for replying, your right that is in fact the case, I called Microsoft and they said it'd work, and I've already installed it on and everything had been fine, activated with out a hitch so I'm good. Thanks for the response though!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts