Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooo a friend of mine wants me to work on her computer. Its a couple years old, and running Vista, so its pretty slow. Time for a reformat. But she didn't have a disk, and I am helping her out of the kindness of my heart (she is single with a baby). Her computer is running Vista Home Premium 32bit OEM. I have a OEM Home Premium disk, and I want to use that disk and try her key, should work.

But I want to back everything up, so that way if it doesn't work, I can go back to the state the computer was in before a format. What can I do in this situation?

·
Premium Member
9,806 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon H.
View Post

Sooo a friend of mine wants me to work on her computer. Its a couple years old, and running Vista, so its pretty slow. Time for a reformat. But she didn't have a disk, and I am helping her out of the kindness of my heart (she is single with a baby). Her computer is running Vista Home Premium 32bit OEM. I have a OEM Home Premium disk, and I want to use that disk and try her key, should work.

But I want to back everything up, so that way if it doesn't work, I can go back to the state the computer was in before a format. What can I do in this situation?

Is she hot?

Anyway, once you format all of the info is gone. However, you can make an OS image from what I've heard. I personally have never done it, I just do a new install everytime.

And as long as you have her key, it'll work just fine. ALthough if it's an prebuilt you might have to call and avtivate or some crap.

PS: Just put everything she want's to keep ona thumb drive.

·
Expand Always in Always
4,596 Posts
Start>type Backup and Restore Center,there you should have the options to back up files or whole computer you just have to point it in the direction of the back up media/hdd

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As for the hot things, I can't comment on that one just incase my gilfriend walks in the room :). Lets just say she is single and a good size, so if your ever down in Florida I can give you her number LOL. If I was single......

But yeah thats all I am am worried about really. Is an install not going to great and me having no way of going back to the old format. The cd is a copy of my friends, I have no idea if it was original or not. I would hate to reformat have it not work.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by reezin14
View Post

Start>type Backup and Restore Center,there you should have the options to back up files or whole computer you just have to point it in the direction of the back up media/hdd

Ok so lets say I do that, and reformat the computer. If all goes wrong how can I perform a restore? Any idea how many cd's it will take, or does it depend on how much stuff is on her HDD?? Because I think she has about 80 gigs used on her HDD.

·
Premium Member
9,806 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon H. View Post
Ok so lets say I do that, and reformat the computer. If all goes wrong how can I perform a restore? Any idea how many cd's it will take, or does it depend on how much stuff is on her HDD?? Because I think she has about 80 gigs used on her HDD.
80 gigs used doesn't mean that's all save files. Like I said before, most of the save files from applications, pictures, music and etc. usually dont take a huge amount of room, unless she's got a ton of movies and buttloads of MP3's.

As for the "good size" comment, do mean that in she's big or ....that she's a good size like a 4 ?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
First off:
How many gigs is the baby?

second:
if we're talking actual cd's (and not dvd's) then getting one of these
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148507
(or something like it locally) for $45 would probably be worth it, if for nothing else by saving time

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOmega View Post
80 gigs used doesn't mean that's all save files. Like I said before, most of the save files from applications, pictures, music and etc. usually dont take a huge amount of room, unless she's got a ton of movies and buttloads of MP3's.

As for the "good size" comment, do mean that in she's big or ....that she's a good size like a 4 ?
No I mean, a good size, as in a 4 in pants yes.

I know all her stuff (MP3's, movies, important files) only take up less then 10 gigs. Thats not a problem. I want to backup her OS, that way if the install goes wrong I can go back to the original state.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Just use an external HDD to back up her user folder and anything she might have saved to other places. Applications can be downloaded later if needed. Her user folder will contain her picture, music, documents folder so it should have everything she needs in there. Once everything is in place, nuke it and start again.

·
Expand Always in Always
4,596 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon H. View Post
Yes you can via the same route,as far as cd's/dvd's it would take I have no idea.But it would be easy to figure out divide 80GB by media storage size of the media 4.7 or 700 for a typical DVD or cd.If you don't have a extra hdd to point to I would do as the others have suggested and just put the important things on some thumb drives or a few DVD's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts