Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Literally...

I want to "overclock my keyboard".

Not my typing speed, that is still wpm 40-60 ish, 80 on a good day...

What i'm looking for is how to make the actual coding of a keyboard in general (regardless the keyboard I plug in).

Making... it... basically fire the keystrokes much faster then standard..

I know you can adjust sticky keys, etc. But every time I search google for overclocking keyboard, faster keyboard response. I am directed to typing tutor's, etc...

Any thoughts?

Just trying to make every 1ms count in gaming, writing, etc...

- Le_Loup

·
Premium Member
6,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le_Loup View Post

Literally...

I want to "overclock my keyboard".

Not my typing speed, that is still wpm 40-60 ish, 80 on a good day...

What i'm looking for is how to make the actual coding of a keyboard in general (regardless the keyboard I plug in).

Making... it... basically fire the keystrokes much faster then standard..

I know you can adjust sticky keys, etc. But every time I search google for overclocking keyboard, faster keyboard response. I am directed to typing tutor's, etc...

Any thoughts?

Just trying to make every 1ms count in gaming, writing, etc...

- Le_Loup
There is nothing to make faster but the user. That's why your getting typing guides.

Unless you looking for macro's your not going to find anything like what your wanting. There is nothing to make faster but your finger's and reaction time.

·
Premium Member
11,389 Posts
If you could type "Hi" on your keyboard, you could do it in milliseconds. The amount of time you need between hitting H and hitting I is nearly unnoticeable. You can almost hit "H" and "I" at the same time

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the older gen logi G15 with blue led, flip pannel, g1-g18 macro keys with m1,m2,m3. But even those go only so fast... I want them to go faster... much...

I've seen an "auto clicker" for a mouse once, rather funny. Enabled it randomly through the day when a friend or roommate borrow the pc for a bit... rather funny to see them fight it...

But basically i'm triyng to make the input signal faster, double, or drop the ms response to 1, if possible... 1000 keystrokes per second if that's even possible... ie, 1000ksps? (fps translation? lol)

- Le_Loup

·
Registered
626 Posts
I'm not quite sure what you're asking. A keyboard's input lag is completely negligible. Aside from learning to type faster, the only way you might notice some difference is getting a quality mechanical keyboard as the switches usually have a more precise actuation point. Basically, you don't have to press the key all the way down for it to register and the required pressure is usually more consistent.

·
Premium Member
6,041 Posts
Quote:

I have the older gen logi G15 with blue led, flip pannel, g1-g18 macro keys with m1,m2,m3. But even those go only so fast... I want them to go faster... much...

I've seen an "auto clicker" for a mouse once, rather funny. Enabled it randomly through the day when a friend or roommate borrow the pc for a bit... rather funny to see them fight it...

But basically i'm triyng to make the input signal faster, double, or drop the ms response to 1, if possible... 1000 keystrokes per second if that's even possible... ie, 1000ksps? (fps translation? lol)

- Le_Loup
There is absolutly no logic in what your asking. First off, you cannot press 1000 key's per second doing anything in a controlled manner. You don't have enough finger's.

Lets look at this in a realistic light for a moment.

When using a keyboard for any controlled activity (gaming or Typing) you can only have a maximum of 10 digits on the keyboard at any given time. Unless you type godly fast(and you don't with your provided numbers) you cannot trip up the keyboard. In gaming you mostly have one hand on the keyboard and one hand on the mouse. This is where the keyboard might trip you up.

Its called N-Key Rollover. Its rating system used to discribe how many key's a user can press near instantly and all will go though exactly as pressed, but very few people actually have the physical ability to trip up most keyboard's doing any controlled activity.

Most keyboards can handle most user's, but there are some keyboards that offer 11 or NK-rollover.

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
Maybe get a mechanical keyboard with switches that bottom earlier (i think thats what its called) for the illusion its faster?

·
Premium Member
2,726 Posts
1. Buy a mechanical keyboard with PCB (no plate or LED) and red switches
2. Make Korean friends
3. Ask Korean friends to buy you 45g or even better, 40g springs
4. Replace red springs with new springs
Edit - 5. Lube Springs with Victorinox oil and stems with Krytox GPL 103 & Krytox 205 Grease Blend (Video below)

smile.gif

Sent from my SGNote2 using Tapatalk

·
Rabies is my business
4,402 Posts
Quote:

- Le_Loup
Redbull and large quantities of Adderall.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
The only way to make your keyboard faster would be to use mechanical switches like cherry browns with a native PS/2 connector.
I'm not a fan of USB to PS/2 adapters.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimpykins View Post

Not what i'm talking about and no, you are absolutely wrong on that also. But that was then.

I am asking a genuine question, looking for genuine answers. Just because everyone is thinking i'm looking for actual keyboard stroke speed adjustments (ie me physically using my finger, or a device to repeatedly press said key's repeatedly, is not what i'm looking for).

I'm literally looking for where in the registry, or otherwise would I modify min/max of keyboard responsiveness. I am on usb, not ps2, not serial or otherwise.

I know the difference between keyboard's, and have used multiple editions. I have the G15 by Logi. Older series of it, (better in my opinion, but that's mine for myself, not debating it to anyone).

I am not looking to speed up the keyboard, or shorten the usb cable, etc... I'm looking to literally tweak the windows OS, or linux OS, etc, and force it to accept it faster.

I use the G1-G18 macro's to "auto command" a multitude of keystrokes. But they still appear at the fastest of 0.5 seconds apart. I watch it, it occurs. I've manually inputted it, (not the record feature, the manual in the logitech software section). And it still doesn't "go fast enough". I'm literally watching the effects of it, and it's still not fast enough.

Again, not up for debates or shenanigan's, spamming this thread. I'm looking for actual solid discussion, let's find out how to do this, discover newer way's to "overclock", by speeding up any part of computers possible.

This is my goal, to ever always seek overclocking potential to the maximum of the equipment I have at my disposal currently. I'm not looking for "it's impossible", as I've defeated the impossible quite often in my life. (medical living proof also).

Regards,

- Le_Loup

·
Premium Member
7,653 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimpykins View Post

Not what i'm talking about and no, you are absolutely wrong on that also. But that was then.

I am asking a genuine question, looking for genuine answers. Just because everyone is thinking i'm looking for actual keyboard stroke speed adjustments (ie me physically using my finger, or a device to repeatedly press said key's repeatedly, is not what i'm looking for).

I'm literally looking for where in the registry, or otherwise would I modify min/max of keyboard responsiveness. I am on usb, not ps2, not serial or otherwise.

I know the difference between keyboard's, and have used multiple editions. I have the G15 by Logi. Older series of it, (better in my opinion, but that's mine for myself, not debating it to anyone).

I am not looking to speed up the keyboard, or shorten the usb cable, etc... I'm looking to literally tweak the windows OS, or linux OS, etc, and force it to accept it faster.

I use the G1-G18 macro's to "auto command" a multitude of keystrokes. But they still appear at the fastest of 0.5 seconds apart. I watch it, it occurs. I've manually inputted it, (not the record feature, the manual in the logitech software section). And it still doesn't "go fast enough". I'm literally watching the effects of it, and it's still not fast enough.

Again, not up for debates or shenanigan's, spamming this thread. I'm looking for actual solid discussion, let's find out how to do this, discover newer way's to "overclock", by speeding up any part of computers possible.

This is my goal, to ever always seek overclocking potential to the maximum of the equipment I have at my disposal currently. I'm not looking for "it's impossible", as I've defeated the impossible quite often in my life. (medical living proof also).

Regards,

- Le_Loup
The time between using a macro key and seeing what the macro key is programmed to output will obviously be longer than for a standard key.

The macro software has to realise what button has been pressed, look up to see what you've programmed it to, then output the all the letters in the right order.

I owned a G11 and a G19 and recognise that there is noticeable lag between pressing the macro key and the string being outputted, but for normal keys there is no way you could possible see the delay between pressing a key and it appearing, unless your rig is under exceptionally heavy load and starts lagging.

I think what you are talking about is optimising the macro software so the time it takes to recognise the key and output the string is less, I have no idea how you would be able to do such a thing though, it sounds to me like something that could only be solved by writing your own super efficient macro software.

As that is probably an impossible task, have you tried a couple of different macro programs? You might be able to find one that's more efficient than what you are using at the moment.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Quote:

Regards,

- Le_Loup
Dude no.
There's a reason you are getting this type of advice.

Keyboard input is done at a very very very low level in BIOS.
Keyboard input has a very high priority interrupt...so even if your computer is performing a task the keyboard should be able to still function.

BIOS has no keyboard settings.
Windows has keyboard repeat delay and repeat rate settings.

PS/2 is probably faster than USB because USB has a device that identifies it to the BIOS and then talks to your PC from then on out.
Probably the only time you will notice this is at boot...on some systems it is difficult to get a USB keyboard to react fast enough to get into BIOS.

The speed of your keyboard is about the only thing you can do anything about.
The speed of the switches etc.

Anyway you look at it your solution is in hardware.
So.....to make your keyboard faster.....throw it in the trash and buy a faster keyboard.

·
Registered
424 Posts
It sounds like people aren't really understanding the OP's issue.

As I understand it, his problem is that his G15's macro execution system is too slow when executing a sequence of commands-- not that it's too slow to respond to a physical keypress, whether on a regular key or a macro key. I've seen this issue with other peripherals: for instance, you'll try and make a macro that, as near as possible to instantaneously, creates a 10x10 grid of evenly spaced clicks, and instead of getting a grid of clicks (that you could use to, for instance, select a hard-to-select object), you hit the button and you see the mouse cursor move, click, move, click...etc.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to solve the problem, short of looking around until you find something with a macro system that's faster-- I don't know of any way to overclock a keyboard's onboard processor, or even if that would result in faster execution of long macros (the limiting factor might be something else). Still, it's definitely an area where there is at least theoretical room for improvement, and it should be regarded as a real question.

·
Premium Member
6,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxWolf1 View Post

As I understand it, his problem is that his G15's macro execution system is too slow when executing a sequence of commands-- not that it's too slow to respond to a physical keypress, whether on a regular key or a macro key. I've seen this issue with other peripherals: for instance, you'll try and make a macro that, as near as possible to instantaneously, creates a 10x10 grid of evenly spaced clicks, and instead of getting a grid of clicks (that you could use to, for instance, select a hard-to-select object), you hit the button and you see the mouse cursor move, click, move, click...etc.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to solve the problem, short of looking around until you find something with a macro system that's faster-- I don't know of any way to overclock a keyboard's onboard processor, or even if that would result in faster execution of long macros (the limiting factor might be something else). Still, it's definitely an area where there is at least theoretical room for improvement, and it should be regarded as a real question.
As a user of a G15 and G510 keyboard and keypads I have never experienced anything like what he is trying to describe. Unless they have changed how the software work's he's pebkac'ing his self.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxWolf1 View Post

It's mostly related to the input delay timing of the macro, yes. However, regardless if it's macro related, disabling the repeat delay all together in the registry of windows, etc. Basically all options i'm trying to explore.

I liked the mechanical idea, might explore that possibly. I'm basically trying to get the best speed, reaction wise "available to me", regardless my skills, or lack of in comparison to some god speed typers in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaoticKomputing View Post

As a user of a G15 and G510 keyboard and keypads I have never experienced anything like what he is trying to describe. Unless they have changed how the software work's he's pebkac'ing his self.
Not pebkac, rofl.. And depends which G15 you have, as they have a couple similar but different models. Basically i'm seeing it perform "as it should", but I want to try and make it better. You can't shoot me for trying, please?

- Le_Loup

*Edit*

Simplest example...

Perceive you and a dozen people repeatedly pressing the letter A

AAAAAAAA

Continually... now that's fun and all... But my goal is to eliminate the delay's period. So that it's faster then i can see. (And I can see the difference in response rate on a 60,120,240,600hz tv's... no joke, I can, very few people can. I just do... It's amazing). But really, just trying to make it go faster then I can visually see. Beating my own ability to witness.

·
Premium Member
6,041 Posts
Quote:

It's mostly related to the input delay timing of the macro, yes. However, regardless if it's macro related, disabling the repeat delay all together in the registry of windows, etc. Basically all options i'm trying to explore.

I liked the mechanical idea, might explore that possibly. I'm basically trying to get the best speed, reaction wise "available to me", regardless my skills, or lack of in comparison to some god speed typers in the world.
Not pebkac, rofl.. And depends which G15 you have, as they have a couple similar but different models. Basically i'm seeing it perform "as it should", but I want to try and make it better. You can't shoot me for trying, please?

- Le_Loup

*Edit*

Simplest example...

Perceive you and a dozen people repeatedly pressing the letter A

AAAAAAAA

Continually... now that's fun and all... But my goal is to eliminate the delay's period. So that it's faster then i can see. (And I can see the difference in response rate on a 60,120,240,600hz tv's... no joke, I can, very few people can. I just do... It's amazing). But really, just trying to make it go faster then I can visually see. Beating my own ability to witness.
please tell you your not gaming on a TV with the 120,240 or 600Hz mode's on....

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaoticKomputing View Post

please tell you your not gaming on a TV with the 120,240 or 600Hz mode's on....
Presently not, lol... I have tried it, they're alot of fun. But really thinking wise, my prev post stands. Especially since it seems that's all you got outta it.

·
Premium Member
6,041 Posts
Quote:

Presently not, lol... I have tried it, they're alot of fun. But really thinking wise, my prev post stands. Especially since it seems that's all you got outta it.
I read it and I'm still not convinced your serious. How could anyone game on a TV with one of the interpolation modes.... input lag is disgusting.

Anyway back to your other post..

First off, Why would 12 people need to press the A button repeatedly?

What controlled action are you trying to accomplish by doing this? As in what real world situation would you(or anyone for that matter) need "this"?

Lastly, There is nothing to overclock... There is no "bottleneck" to remove, hence nothing to overclock.

As far as I can tell your looking to replicate "turbo mode" off old "custom" console controller's, It was pointless then and pointless now
redface.gif

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.