Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my card today and was able to volt mod it so now I am running the GPU at 1.5v.

Can someone please direct me as to how I am supposed to overclock it now?

What tool do I use? How do I use it?

Sorry for being a noob...but all of your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

PS> I am running Vista x64 HP on an E4300, eVGA 650i ultra, 2GB of Crucial Ballistix

·
Registered
293 Posts
I personally use Atitool http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads...Tool_0.26.html

It works very well ( even with Nvidia cards and has fan control and everything else you could want.

There are also Rivatuner and nTune or something like that.

Let us know if you need anything else. The XFX should oc quite nicely compared to my PNY.

edit: I missed the part about you using 64 bit vista. From what i have seen thats a little tougher to come by as the tools have to be digitally signed or something.

·
Premium Member
25,202 Posts
Download Atitool here.
Read the thread, since you're on 64bit Vista, you'll have to disable driver signing.
Hopefully it will work, seems to be hit and miss with Vista and Atitool.
Do all your adjustments manually, do not use the Find Max core/mem function.
You'll raise either the core or memory first, your choice, do it in 5-10 mhz increments and run the artifact scan for at least 10 minutes.
If and when artifacts appear, either, yellow dots or stretched textures then you know your OC is too high, back it down and retest.
Also if your OC is too high, your system will freeze or you will lose the signal to your monitor.
Since you have done a Vmod, how are you cooling your card?

·
Registered
636 Posts
That xfx card overclocks nicely. Just make sure you dont get it to heat up much after 70c degrees. I had it overclock to 600 core 800 memory without a volt mod and it did it easily.

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
You're going to melt that thing without an aftermarket cooler, i suggest removing the voltmod and buy a cooler before voltmodding again.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kopi View Post
You're going to melt that thing without an aftermarket cooler, i suggest removing the voltmod and buy a cooler before voltmodding again.
I cant agree with you more. The 8600gt I have has an all around better cooling stock compared to what the 7900 had. Definately get the best cooler you can get. In fact dont even bother putting it in your computer till you have the best cooler on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts