Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just read the thread with the basic overclocking. I don't know where to start. It says I need to go to the menu with the CPU frequency but I don't know what it is. View the attachments for my bios.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbasil1

what can u change the cpu host fequency to?

I can change it to manual. And then I can switch the 200 mhz.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
well there you go, switch it and start increasing 2-3mhz at a time. I also think there are some advanced settings in there for your memory and such. Have you tried ctrl and f1.

• Rep+
Reactions: Hansie

·
Premium Member
9,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hansie

I can change it to manual. And then I can switch the 200 mhz.

That's where you'll want to start then. You'll eventually need to fiddle with voltages and RAM timings as described in the Intel overclocking guide as well.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ctrl and F1 don't work.
Any other keys?

Do you know a good program to see youre temperature and a good one to test for instabillity?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been reading and talking with friends on overclocking PCs and it seems that the only way to overclock intel CPUs is to change jumpers on the motherbord itself. For this you need to look in your motherbords manual. What you can do is change your clockspeed one setting higher. I recommand overclocking the bus speed because, unlike AMD CPUs witch have a max bus speed of 2Ghz, they have a bus speed of only 800Mhz wich means that your RAM, 3D card, and other stuff can't pass 800Mhz. So for example getting more than 2 x 1024Mb of pc3200 400Mhz RAM wont be faster since its blocked by the bus speed. That why with gaming pcs I recommand AMD CPUs. Plus their easy to overclock, your can overclock in BIOS easily. Intel are locked by the jumpers on the motherboard.

·
Registered
363 Posts
about the temperature you can download motherboard monitor 5 aka MBM 5
and\\or Everest , for benchmarking and stability : Sisoft Sandra and Prime 95
sorry for not including links
but if you google the names it should be really easy to find them also there should be a inhouse faq with the links of all good freeware prog's around

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by legrandchasseur

I've been reading and talking with friends on overclocking PCs and it seems that the only way to overclock intel CPUs is to change jumpers on the motherbord itself. For this you need to look in your motherbords manual. What you can do is change your clockspeed one setting higher. I recommand overclocking the bus speed because, unlike AMD CPUs witch have a max bus speed of 2Ghz, they have a bus speed of only 800Mhz wich means that your RAM, 3D card, and other stuff can't pass 800Mhz. So for example getting more than 2 x 1024Mb of pc3200 400Mhz RAM wont be faster since its blocked by the bus speed. That why with gaming pcs I recommand AMD CPUs. Plus their easy to overclock, your can overclock in BIOS easily. Intel are locked by the jumpers on the motherboard.

you can disregard 99% of the above quoted material. He is referring to older (way older) intel procs.
Have you up'd the fsb over 200 yet? what happened. I think you need to read more FAQ's here because alot of the questions you have asked are easily accessable here in the faq's. the benchmark and stability tests are available in the "Benchmarking and overclocking software" section.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aqualan

you can disregard 99% of the above quoted material. He is referring to older (way older) intel procs.
Have you up'd the fsb over 200 yet? what happened. I think you need to read more FAQ's here because alot of the questions you have asked are easily accessable here in the faq's. the benchmark and stability tests are available in the "Benchmarking and overclocking software" section.

Yeah I upped it to 212. Now running @ 3172 mhz.

Any Idea how long you could do with a oc'd processor? I also changed the stock cooler with the arctic freezer7 cooler. Is this a good one?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
download everest home, occt, prime95 and speedfan.
everest will give you good temperatures, occt, and prime95 will push the crap out of the proc, and raise the temps. speedfan will just verify what everestt tells in the temp catagory.

Since you havn't up the vcore, you shouldn't get any raise in temps. Also, you could OC for ever as long as you don't run too high of temps.

I don't know about the cooler you spoke of, I am only familiar with the big typhoon which rocks btw. Keep pushing your OC till it's unstable. Run Occt and prime 95 at the same time to see if it's stable.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I looked up your bios version on google and found that there is a section at the ottom when you first enter the bios called voltage and frequency control. it's in there. It should be the last option on the left when you first enter bios. If it is not, then you probably need to update the bios.

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
ya updated bios always help with overclocking, sometimes they add more options and such...but try to go as far with the OC as possible befor u start upping the vcore.. you should be able to hit 3.4-3.5 with stock vcore...

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Quote:

ya updated bios always help with overclocking, sometimes they add more options and such...but try to go as far with the OC as possible befor u satrt upping the vcore.. you should be able to hit 3.4-3.5 with stock vcore...

I agree wholeheartedly, I went from 3.2-4.08 with no vcore upage at all. You will have to find your memory settings though, you will probably have to change the divider and timings to find best the combination.

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
hansie, what kind of ram do you have? im asuming some value ram?... i have value ram and i got to about 250fsb before i have to run a divider,and its at the loosest timings possible..3-4-4-8... but at about 222fsb i had to loosen the timings from stock of 3-3-3-8 to the 3-4-4-8... just giving you some comparisons and what not...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

hansie, what kind of ram do you have? im asuming some value ram?... i have value ram and i got to about 250fsb before i have to run a divider,and its at the loosest timings possible..3-4-4-8... but at about 222fsb i had to loosen the timings from stock of 3-3-3-8 to the 3-4-4-8... just giving you some comparisons and what not...

I'm at 316, if I go higher my pc won't start, i get a black screen. You know I'm new but what do you mean with the timings and divider settings of the ram?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

wow 316! is that your fsb? whats your cpu speed now? and the ram timings are explained HERE

Oops mistyped. It's 216

Srry.

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
lol i was gonna say holy ****!!! ok u should read through the ram timings link i have above, then maybe try lossening the timings and see if that gets u into window, if it does keep raising the fsb untill u become unstable again and then try raising your vcore a notch and contue ocing till your happy...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts