Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Here longer than mods lol
3,800 Posts
Probably on the back of the mobo it has little clips that need to be pushed in so that you can take it off
[/URL][/IMG]
You need to push the little bits of plastic at the back in the way

• Rep+
Reactions: Xavier1421

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Stalker is right, the pins you see have a "mushroom" on the backside that can be compressed and pushed through the motherboard. Re-installing these pins is a breeze...line em up and push.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll try that. thanks!

I'm going to apply some AS5 since the heatsink is overheating.
Besides that I want to put a 40mm fan that I have. however, as you can see due to the weird shape of the heatsink, it's impossible to insert screws in the gap.

Any idea how to do that?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm afraid the heat will melt them...

About removing the heatsink - I can see the mushrooms but I can't seem to get them out. they are too wide to pull out(and I used quite some force). I'm afraid using more force will break something..

·
Here longer than mods lol
3,800 Posts
You could try something like this

[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
Screw a fan guard into the heatsink
[/URL][/IMG]
Then screw the fan onto the fan guard
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
Might even do that myself come to think of it LOL

• Rep+
Reactions: GGuyZ

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice idea! thanks

One final question - I got the heatsink out. I hope I didn't scratch the back of my mobo with the handy tool I used. Anyway, since the chipset isn't removeable like the CPU. Is it safe to clean it with alcohol inside the PC? and I should only touch the center correct? there's a small square which seems to have all the old paste on.

And then just apply the AS5? same as with CPU? small dot and circle the heatsink on it?

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Yes, it's fine....

I just clean with a Qtip (usually multiple ones) that was soaked in either alcohol or AS's cleaning sol'n.

• Rep+
Reactions: GGuyZ

·
Registered
550 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GGuyZ
View Post

Nice idea! thanks

One final question - I got the heatsink out. I hope I didn't scratch the back of my mobo with the handy tool I used. Anyway, since the chipset isn't removeable like the CPU. Is it safe to clean it with alcohol inside the PC? and I should only touch the center correct? there's a small square which seems to have all the old paste on.

And then just apply the AS5? same as with CPU? small dot and circle the heatsink on it?

just be carefull not to spill the alcohol on the mobo, and u should be safe. yeah AS5 will do, but only a rly tiny bit as the bridge core is rly small.

gudluck

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
if the heat sink itself is overheating do you really need to use AS5?

that's a good sign that your heatsink is warm it means that the core is transfering heat to your heatsink.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
A Duke Tip
If you have the room, nail clippers can chop of the head fron the top but be careful, they can shoot out at you, protect your eyes. Also, don't clip the spring, they will damage the clippers.
That saves removing the MB

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The heatsink was too hot in my opinion. My hand got burnt everytime I touched it. I'm hoping that maybe the hot chipset is what's blocking my overclock. It's a long shot - but it's the last thing to try, before volt modding. And I couldn't find a volt mod for my motherboard, so that's not really an option.

Guys.. The old thermal paste was completely dry! I'm trying to clean the chipset's surface from the old thermal paste, but only little seems to come off. I'm not even sure if it's thermal paste or if that's the way the surface should look like. I took a picture, so hopefully you could tell me what's there on the surface - is it thermal paste? or is it clean?

Is it safe to pill the dry TP with my fingernails?

The Duke - Sounds like a good tip. But I didn't really understand what you meant. Could you explain?

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Thats old thermal paste. If you have the AS cleaning solution, that will break it down, if not - use a good (low % water) rubbing alcohol by dipping a q-tip in the alcohol and dabbing the old paste til it starts to break up a bit.

The AS5 won't make your heatsink cooler per se, but it will help more once you put a fan on.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you. I've done it

I've put the fan on. but should it be an intake or an outtake fan?
Intake will draw cool air inside. However the whole point of the heatsink is to disperse the hot air, that would create an air flow conflict wouldn't it?

So intake or outtake?

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
the stuff I pulled from the heat sink on my p5b was like that. all dry and crusty and the p5b I have is brand new. maybe it isn't a past but more like an epoxy?

I don't know though

·

29,532 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GGuyZ View Post
Thank you. I've done it

I've put the fan on. but should it be an intake or an outtake fan?
Intake will draw cool air inside. However the whole point of the heatsink is to disperse the hot air, that would create an air flow conflict wouldn't it?

So intake or outtake?
You want it to BLOW on it, it's a relatively small heatsink so blowing would be OK.

Unless you have a very bad airflow, then go for PULL on it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts