Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to reset the BIOS in my signature rig.

I changed a few things around and now when I power on my computer, nothing shows up.

i read something about moving the jumpers, or removing the CMOS battery for 30 minutes or so. i need some confirmation. will rep

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
will doing this make my computer display any sort of image? it stopped working after i messed around with the BIOS

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darqside;13128634
will doing this make my computer display any sort of image? it stopped working after i messed around with the BIOS
Yes.

Just do it for like 30 seconds not minutes.. my god haha

·
Registered
407 Posts
Guys he said reset BIOS not CMOS.
CMOS just resets the settings.
Either he actually means BIOS, which means soldering a new chip on or something else, or he meant to reset the CMOS.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darqside;13128634
I think you're looking to reset the CMOS which will set all your bios settings back to default. Instructions vary depending on your mobo, check the manual for instructions. Most of the time it is just moving a jumper for a few seconds (or you can take out the battery if you don't want to mess with jumpers).

If you're looking to flash the bios (update to a newer version) that is completely different.

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomiyamu!;13128667
Guys he said reset BIOS not CMOS.
CMOS just resets the settings.
Either he actually means BIOS, which means soldering a new chip on or something else, or he meant to reset the CMOS.
They mean the same thing to me... Clear CMOS just resets the bios to stock

·
Registered
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Master Chief;13128686
They mean the same thing to me... Clear CMOS just resets the bios to stock
One is a completely fresh BIOS, and one just resets the settings of the same BIOS.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cool guys. good to know the difference.

well, i looked at page 53 of the manual, and now it works. yayayaya!

i saw the manual, looked at it, but couildnt find what i was looking for. thanks a bunch. + reps

EDIT:

I am now gonna flash it with a BIOS update. i hope that goes well. im gonna do it through DOS with a flashdrive.

i hope all goes well. the manual tells me how to recover from a bad update. thanks to everyone

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomiyamu!;13128696
One is a completely fresh BIOS, and one just resets the settings of the same BIOS.
Ummm no;

When I reset my BIOS I clear my CMOS, and when I clear my CMOS, I reset my BIOS...

·
Chainsaw noise far off
6,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Master Chief;13128821
Ummm no;

When I reset my BIOS I clear my CMOS, and when I clear my CMOS, I reset my BIOS...
Yeah...so true.There is setting factory defaults and their is re setting everything including the time and date.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts