Overclock.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, im trying to get surround sound going for my Wii, so i can fully enjoy Resident Evil 4 and any other games for that matter.

i know the Wii only supports Dolby Pro Logic, but when im playing the Wii through my 6.1 surround setup, im only getting sound out of the 2 speakers and sub, 2.1.

i have surround ticked in my Wii options. my Wii is hooked up to the TV via component cables, and then TV is hooked up to the receiver via optical. the receiver is a Yamaha HTR-5940.

any help would be much appreciated..surely there is a way to force the sound to come out of all the speakers? oh and yes i've tried running the PLII function on the receiver, sound still only comes from 2 speakers.

cheers.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I have to set my receiver to manually play pro-logic. Even then, I really cant even tell if it is proper 5.1 surround sound.

Kind of strange that your receiver only plays through 2. Does DTS and the other surround sound abbreviations work properly?

EDIT: I bet it's your TV sending the signal through optical. Try connecting your wii directly to the receiver or through you TV with just the plain ol' red&white audio cables.

·
Premium Member
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah everything else works fine through the receiver, DTS, Dolby, everything with the PS3. its just the Wii.

i was thinking the same thing, that the optical cable is to blame. so then, could i either A) connect the component cables to the TV and just connect the red + white RCA to the usual AV port, or would i have to B) connect the video components to the TV, and the red + white audio RCA's directly to the receiver. would that work? i need RCA extension cables if it would.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtarmanrob
View Post

yeah everything else works fine through the receiver, DTS, Dolby, everything with the PS3. its just the Wii.

i was thinking the same thing, that the optical cable is to blame. so then, could i either A) connect the component cables to the TV and just connect the red + white RCA to the usual AV port, or would i have to B) connect the video components to the TV, and the red + white audio RCA's directly to the receiver. would that work? i need RCA extension cables if it would.

Definitely give it a try. Either way should work.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
The fact that the Wii only has the white/red RCA cables for audio. You are only going to get TRUE 2.1 you can "simulate" 5.1 tho.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts