Overclock.net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I heard of a program called DXTORY which allows you to limit your fps without having to enable vsync, which is great for gamers on first person shooters to evade input lag!

I downloaded DXtory 2.0.109 (Using free trial) and here's what I did;

As you see I set it to 62fps but I'm playing Battlefield 3 and my FPS are still unlimited, am I doing something wrong? I'd love to limit my FPS using this program.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
11,272 Posts
Limiting your FPS won't prevent tearing, it'll just make it less probable. Vsync does something completely different that has the side effect of limiting your framerate.

·
Premium Member
16,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post

Limiting your FPS won't prevent tearing, it'll just make it less probable. Vsync does something completely different that has the side effect of limiting your framerate.
I didn't state the reason, I do not want to limit the FPS to prevent tearing, I simply want to keep the GPU's cooler and quieter instead of wasting GPU power, but I don't want to use vsync as that introduces input lag.
wink.gif

Anyone knows how to use DXtory?

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Check the "Synchronize Video FPS" box under the video tab.

·
Premium Member
16,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Dizzle View Post

Check the "Synchronize Video FPS" box under the video tab.
I just did and it's still unlimited;

Any clues?

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
So what FPS are you wanting to play at/record at?

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Since you are playing BF3, you can limit the FPS using this console command:

GameTime.MaxVariableFps 62

Or you can make the command apply itself automatically every time you start the game by following these instructions:

Quote:
Create a new text file and rename it to User.cfg. Edit the file using Windows Notepad or Wordpad, entering each command on a separate line. Save this file and place it in your main \Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 3\ directory.
Attached is my User.cfg in case you need an example. .zip because OCN doesn't allow .cfg files to be uploaded.

User.cfg 0k .zip file

Attachments

·
PC Evangelist
47,669 Posts
I might do this too. Pointless to waist GPU power for those of us that can spare it.

·
Premium Member
16,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by nawon72 View Post

Since you are playing BF3, you can limit the FPS using this console command:
GameTime.MaxVariableFps 62

Or you can make the command apply itself automatically every time you start the game by following these instructions:

Attached is my User.cfg in case you need an example. .zip because OCN doesn't allow .cfg files to be uploaded.

User.cfg 0k .zip file
Of course I did that, but the in-game FPS limiter is a bunch of crap and it makes the game stutter like crazy.

I just realized that they released a new OSD version for MSI Afterburner 2.2.0 BETA 9;

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4192523&postcount=78

You have to extract the RAR at C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\Bundle\OSDServer and then you can do a bf3.exe.cfg (What I did was copy BFBC2.exe cfg's file and rename it to bf3.exe) at C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\ProfileTemplates and add this like I did;

[Framerate]
Limit = 62
LimitCapture = 0

Save, and enjoy BF3 with fps limited at 62.
biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
15,765 Posts
When I limit my fps to 62 I get lots of screen tearing. Some how for me 59 is better.

Is it because of my monitor?

·
Premium Member
16,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by iARDAs View Post

When I limit my fps to 62 I get lots of screen tearing. Some how for me 59 is better.

Is it because of my monitor?
Could be, but doesn't matter 59 or 62.

Also what I do on Battlefield 3 now is just limit it to 59.95 with the in-game command Gametime.MaxVariableFPS 59.95, create a user.cfg file in the root Battlefield 3 folder, open it with Wordpad or Notepad and write that command there, smooth as butter.
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
15,765 Posts
You get stuttering too right? If I don't limit my FPS, the gameplay becomes choppy.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Quote:

You get stuttering too right? If I don't limit my FPS, the gameplay becomes choppy.
hi mate , if your not limiting FPS or using V-SYNC then your gpu will be being hammered, could be that the core clock is being downclocked as your reaching within 7-10% of your power target? [assuming you are using 600 series nvidia]
this happened to me while testing V-SYNC vs FPS limiting with bf3 a few days ago.
have you checked with afterburner while running bf3 without V-SYNC and FPS limiting mate?
hope this helps bud

·
Premium Member
15,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyMcBong View Post

hi mate , if your not limiting FPS or using V-SYNC then your gpu will be being hammered, could be that the core clock is being downclocked as your reaching within 7-10% of your power target? [assuming you are using 600 series nvidia]
this happened to me while testing V-SYNC vs FPS limiting with bf3 a few days ago.
have you checked with afterburner while running bf3 without V-SYNC and FPS limiting mate?
hope this helps bud
I actually turned off vsync and FPS limiting for some benchmarking in BF3. However I never use regular Vsync. I only use Adaptive Vsync however I gave it up as well. FPS limiting is the best

BUt yeah when I have FPS limiting, than I have no stuttering what so ever. SAme with Vsync too but I will never be using Vsync in competitive games.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Quote:

I actually turned off vsync and FPS limiting for some benchmarking in BF3. However I never use regular Vsync. I only use Adaptive Vsync however I gave it up as well. FPS limiting is the best

BUt yeah when I have FPS limiting, than I have no stuttering what so ever. SAme with Vsync too but I will never be using Vsync in competitive games.
I was going to get around to trying out the adaptive v-sync option a while back but I totally forgot about it lol
redface.gif

When i was using my old gtx 470 i used to use D3Doverrider to force v-sync and triple buffering which 'felt' like there was slightly less input lag than using the in-game option and no triple buffering taking place [and with the triple buffering using the RenderDevice.TripleBufferingEnable 1 swich in the user.cfg].
But when i made the switch to the gtx 670 ive gotta say that i really don't notice a difference now, either in-game v-sync or d3doverrider v-sync & triple buffering both 'feel' like theres an equal amount of input lag, very small , but still some lag.
for me limiting my fps definitely reduces the input lag but i get severe screen tearing, not central screen but around 1/3 of the way down. [maybe due to my hdtv ?]
i think i need to stop constantly switching between the two, and just stick with one option and live with the con's , but im not the best at making decision, i tend to float between them
smile.gif

p.s /
also thanks for the +rep mate ! its much appreciated my friend
wink.gif

1 - 16 of 16 Posts