Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
313 Posts
Unfortunaltly dells normally run with intel motherboards, which have their FSB (front side bus) manufacture locked. Like The general said abouve, you can use software to overclock them but ive never tryed it and wuld reccomed getting a new mobo so you can overclock in the BIOS.

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Which dell do you have? i have a 4600, got it last christmas, and already the new ones have 2.8's with HT, mine doesent...lol but getting back to the topic, if you have a 2.8 processor, you'd like the abit Is7-e. i'm getting one, and i've only heard excellent reviews. it supports HT tech., so it's sorta future-proof...it also has AGP and PCI slots...

·
Banned
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by atvkid1090

Which dell do you have? i have a 4600, got it last christmas, and already the new ones have 2.8's with HT, mine doesent...lol but getting back to the topic, if you have a 2.8 processor, you'd like the abit Is7-e. i'm getting one, and i've only heard excellent reviews. it supports HT tech., so it's sorta future-proof...it also has AGP and PCI slots...

i got an 8300 series

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpencerM

Unfortunaltly dells normally run with intel motherboards, which have their FSB (front side bus) manufacture locked. Like The general said abouve, you can use software to overclock them but ive never tryed it and wuld reccomed getting a new mobo so you can overclock in the BIOS.

wich mobo should i get

Quote:

Originally Posted by atvkid1090

i can teach u how to oc ur gpu i got the same brand atvkid1060

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
cchu2004, i've got the link for the mobo im getting.. although i just saw it went up in price, up from 76 to 82, it's here--> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...127-156&depa=1

I think that now that it went up in price, i'll go with the IS-7 instead of the IS7-e.. it has onboard RAID and a few better components... lol good luck

·
Registered
304 Posts
you really can't overclock an manufactured PC unless u have a tool to actually up the FSB or sumthing.

If u get a new motherboard for your pc u also need to get a new case or power supply.
Why? : Dell power supplies are different by the cable on it. Rumour says that it works backwards between a normal PSU.

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by andy8125

you really can't overclock an manufactured PC unless u have a tool to actually up the FSB or sumthing.

If u get a new motherboard for your pc u also need to get a new case or power supply.
Why? : Dell power supplies are different by the cable on it. Rumour says that it works backwards between a normal PSU.

screw trying to up the fsb, i've tried tons of software w/ my dell and it DOESENT WORK... just get a new mobo, case, psu and you're all set... transferr all your old parts outta the dell along with the drivers, install the hardware and the drivers that came on the CD(s) that you got with your system, and then oc it... besides, forcing the fsb has to be a little dangerous, not sure, but it probably won't be beneficiary to your comp in the long run (shorter processor life, fried mobo mb)... PM me if i'm wrong about it.. just thought about putting my 2 cents worth in... good luck -->(My Dell)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts