Overclock.net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get certain types of RAID will protect against HDD failures, but it doesn't help against other types of failure (ie - electrical, damage to the NAS device, etc..). Is that an acceptable risk for you? Do you have a 2nd NAS backup? Only backup part of the data?

·
Storage Nut
21,144 Posts
I have my data backed up on multiple drives.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Actually what you really need is some kind of off-site storage using cloud storage, tape, DVDs, HDDs ...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

But how are those drives organized? Are they part of the NAS? A second PC in your house? A bunch of external drives? I currently have my data on a small NAS (3tb) and a 3tb external drive as backup. I need to add space (2tb) but it doesn't seem like a good idea to keep using external drives as backups (or is it??). I'm looking for the best way to handle the backup. I don't have any need to use cloud storage for my backup - and that is a lot of data to transfer and maintain on a cloud.

·
Storage Nut
21,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaiba View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

But how are those drives organized? Are they part of the NAS? A second PC in your house? A bunch of external drives? I currently have my data on a small NAS (3tb) and a 3tb external drive as backup. I need to add space (2tb) but it doesn't seem like a good idea to keep using external drives as backups (or is it??). I'm looking for the best way to handle the backup. I don't have any need to use cloud storage for my backup - and that is a lot of data to transfer and maintain on a cloud.
I backup to a server I have setup in my house (RAID 5 array), to a secondary drive in my PC, a secondary drive in my dad's PC, and an external.

You could make a second NAS and mirror over for backup or use externals or whatever you like. Also there are those RAID boxes. It is just a backup to make sure you don't lose any thing important. Do what is most cost effective and convenient for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts