Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased an AMD 64 4000+ cpu with runs at 2.4 GHz. How do I compare it to the intel cpu's out there? I thought the 4000+ number meant it ran at 4.0GHz compared to an Intel but my buddy tells me thats not right. I have overclocked it to 2.7 MHz but I still have no way to compare it to an intel. How do you compare it to an intel besides using a benchmark program?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Talonsin

I just purchased an AMD 64 4000+ cpu with runs at 2.4 GHz. How do I compare it to the intel cpu's out there? I thought the 4000+ number meant it ran at 4.0GHz compared to an Intel but my buddy tells me thats not right. I have overclocked it to 2.7 MHz but I still have no way to compare it to an intel. How do you compare it to an intel besides using a benchmark program?

Yes, the 4000+ denotes that it will run equivalent to a 4GHz Pentium. There is a program called Central Brain Identifier that will give you the Pentium equivalent rating of your processor when overclocked. You can download it from here

·
Registered
564 Posts
Of course, the number doesn't indicate what kind of Intel it is as a comparison. 5 series and 6 series differ, and of course, there's the Pentium D Dual Cores.

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
Take your speed in mhz (2700), multiply by op's per cycle (9) and divide by Intels op's per cycle (6) So... 2700x9=24300/6=4050 makes it around a 4.05ghz intel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by pjlietz

Take your speed in mhz (2700), multiply by op's per cycle (9) and divide by Intels op's per cycle (6) So... 2700x9=24300/6=4050 makes it around a 4.05ghz intel.

Thanks Pjlietz, this is what I was looking for. My question to you (myself being new) is how did you come up with the op's per cycle? i have looked in CPU-Z and not seen this number. Is this a standard number for AMD Athlon 64's?

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Talonsin

Thanks Pjlietz, this is what I was looking for. My question to you (myself being new) is how did you come up with the op's per cycle? i have looked in CPU-Z and not seen this number. Is this a standard number for AMD Athlon 64's?

I got the info off the forum awhile ago. I'm sure it is the standard for All AMD's and Intel P4's. P3's and the P-m chips do 9 op's as well.

·
Premium Member
5,144 Posts
Multiply your amd speed by 1.5 and you get the intel speed.

• Rep+
Reactions: Krunk_Kracker

·
Premium Member
13,775 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pjlietz

I got the info off the forum awhile ago. I'm sure it is the standard for All AMD's and Intel P4's. P3's and the P-m chips do 9 op's as well.

Yessir

Amd is 9 operation and Intel is 6, for now at least.

Also, that math equation, isn't 100% correct, what I always do is say "Mines equal to a little more than a 4.0 Intel
"

·
Premium Member
13,775 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by claymanhb

Multiply your amd speed by 1.5 and you get the intel speed.

Holy crap, your right

I never knew that! That's so much easier! REP!

·
Premium Member
5,144 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker

Holy crap, your right

I never knew that! That's so much easier! REP!

LOL...figured it out one day when I was doing the long equation...

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
how do I compare AMD to Intel?....
Intel is more expensive, and better for multitasking...but now with the dual core AMD's, I dont think Intel is better for anything other than decreasing your bank account by a larger figure...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts