Overclock.net banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Iconoclast
31,562 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juggalo23451 View Post
multiplier is set by the cpu. so you cant change the maximum to go higher
You can get an extra 1x or in some case 2x with i7s and Turbo Boost.

But I have no knowledge of what settings are needed for 22x with the OPs motherboard.

·
Banned
8,570 Posts
Not possible. Turbo mode only enables 1 extra multi with all cores and ht enabled. I think what you are noticing is a bios bug on other peoples.

·
Iconoclast
31,562 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NCspecV81 View Post
Not possible. Turbo mode only enables 1 extra multi with all cores and ht enabled. I think what you are noticing is a bios bug on other peoples.
That's not the case.

Turbo Mode is really supposed to allow two extra multipliers, as long as three cores are idle (not disabled), and Turbo Boost + all related power management features are enabled (so the idle cores can drop to the more agressive C-states).

The bug is some boards not allowing this to happen, even if properly configured.

·
Programmer
28,696 Posts
22x is a huge multi. i bet they OC Far.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blameless View Post
That's not the case.

Turbo Mode is really supposed to allow two extra multipliers, as long as three cores are idle (not disabled), and Turbo Boost + all related power management features are enabled (so the idle cores can drop to the more agressive C-states).

The bug is some boards not allowing this to happen, even if properly configured.
Any insight as to what the related power management features are? I saw somewhere you have to enable C1, C2, and C3, however my board only allows me to either keep it on auto, or select C1, C1E, C3, or C6, but not multiple ones at the same time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradleyW View Post
22x is a huge multi. i bet they OC Far.
Not when the motherboard can't get past a BCLK of around 220.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yeah, so as I understand it, core 0 is allowed to go up to 22x multi if the three other cores are either disabled or unloaded(possibly allowed to go to lower c-state). You may have noticed something that looks like this on eleet:

Note the core 1(logical core 0) showing an x22 multi. It is able to go there but none of the other cores can and it's only in certain cases where it is able to get the x22 multi. I assume you are wanting it to get a higher max OC. I'm really not sure how disabling all but one core would affect that as I've never tried it, but I say go for it.

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
It'll kick up to 22x IFF you have Turbo Mode and CxE halt states all enabled, AND three of four cores are powered down due to being idle or otherwise not in use.

·
Not New to Overclock.net
1,905 Posts
^ I can't get this to happen on four i7 940s and on two boards, Giga Extreme or R2E. It does not matter what I do, it will never be 24x on the i7 940. Only if I physically disable other cores. There is no situation on a multicore optimized OS when any of the cores end up "powered down". The processes keep switching and from core to core all the time. Maybe if you start with 4 cores and 8 threads, and then you set the affinity of every single process running on your system to core 1, you may be able to get the rest to power down. For me this was an impossible task. I pointed out in another threads that this is mobo manufacturer specific implementation from what I have seen as every board behaves somewhat different when it comes to Turbo. Intel's datasheet is a guideline, not a hard rule.

Giga boards have turbo permanently on.
Asus P6T cannot disable TDP/TDC limit.
Asus R2E has a function to disable TDP/TDC limit and keep turbo on all the time.
Smakcover has VR Current Override option that stops Turbo from throttling.

Every one is different...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts