Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
I took this profile pic
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wondering how my fellow OCers organize your desktop and what themes you guys like when it comes to backgrounds and organization. I use a program called Fences because I personally think it is worth $10 a year. It allows me to make a small scrollable window so not all my programs are visible at the same time. I also use 40% transparency and I put the fences on the bottom and on the right side. Basically all of my programs are semi transparent until I move over them. I only keep important documents (financial, medical, ect) outside of the fences because those are too important to mess with. The whole theme of my organization is minimalism because I like my backgrounds to really pop out. I have backgrounds from video games, pieces of art from places like Deviantart, nature photos that I took and some I found online, and even most of the default Microsoft backgrounds included. I have about 100+ backgrounds that change every 12 hours. Some of them I have never even seen as the background yet so it's like every day there is a new background and sometimes there is one I forgot about. They look amazing on my budget friendly Viewsonic monitor I got for $150. A 23 inch 1080p monitor for $150 is all about being FTW in every possible way if you know what I mean.

EDIT: Be very detailed because your desktop says a lot about you I think. Maybe not the deep stuff, but your interests and stuff is represented by your desktop I think. lol... that sounded dumb... But I kind of think it says a lot.

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
I tend to use wallpapers that reflect something I'm in to. Based on the colour theme of that image used, I set my task bar to a corresponding colour with maximum transparency. As for desktop icons, as little as possible. Here is my current biz:

·
Subarashii Mortal
1,052 Posts
Wallpaper I change every other day. On the desktop I keep a folder "Super Folder" where I put all the shortcuts to everything I might be interested in through the days like games after finishing them. On the top I keep the game I'm currently playing. When I'm done with it, I put it in super folder and the next takes its place. The 2 columns from the right of files and folders are just everyday stuff that I delete once I am done with them such as those notepads remind me what all I need to do before going to bed or what all Photoshop work I have to do before the day ends
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
I only have 4 icons on my desktop as I like it clean, as for background I change it every week and they are always pictures of my granddaughter who is now 3.
I do photography on the side so I have over 6,000 pictures of her for my desktop.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I don't keep any shortcuts etc. on the desktop, taskbar or start screen; I mainly use the 'Apps' view sorted by most used or just navigate via explorer though I make heavy use of the search function as an all round launcher. On my SSD I only keep the OS, installed programs and virtual machines, everything else including documentation, configuration backups, pictures, the desktop, games, study materials, videos, portable programs/tools and basically anything I'd wanna keep across clean installations are well sorted in folders on my HDD, and any sensitive items are in an encrypted partition of that drive. This makes it easier for me to manage and backup the things that are important to me and clean installing is no longer the daunting task it used to be, it's now something I can pretty much do on a whim. As far as themes go it's an all round white on black, I keep things as light as possible resource wise with the lite/server theme in use and things such as background images, animations, fading, shadows, peek, transparency and smooth scrolling disabled. The main focus I guess configuration wise is security and resource efficiency whilst avoiding major inconveniences.

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
I also don't keep any programs on my desktop. My most frequently used programs are on the taskbar or the tray; the rest I get from the Start Menu. Besides for sticky notes and a calendar, I used to use the desktop as a temporary parking place for work in progress. Since I'm now using an SSD, I park work in progress at their final destination and use shortcuts on the desktop to cut down on unnecessary writes to the SSD. I need the sticky notes staring me in the face because of my ADHD. I cycle through several different wallpapers, a new one everyday, but use ones that are dark colored to make it easier to see the icons, etc. on the desktop. I also reduced the size of the icons to make for more room. I found refreshing the desktop from the right click menu keeps everything where it is supposed to be.

I used to have my TV cloned to the desktop but I was having trouble with screen tearing when watching DVDs so I changed yesterday to be an extended desktop. I just keep my current book I'm reading on Kindle for PC, the control panel for my sound card, and the current DVD in VLC player minimized on the TV side of the desktop so all I have to do is switch the TV to HDMI and use a mouse I keep on my nightstand to select what I want while lying in bed (yes, I am lazy).

·
I took this profile pic
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice looking desktops. I never thought of putting my taskbar on the left, but I think mine looks great where it is. I never thought of adding my own desktop so here is what mine looks like. BTW I just made my sig as creative as I could so please tell me if you like it or if it sucks and I will change it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I generally go with no desktop icons, taskbar out of the way at the side, and an image I rendered for the desktop background. Currently running a fractal I rendered a while back.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Primary: ...
Secondary: ..?

My desktop is the main repository for everything. As you can see, my first screen has practically every folder and icon (organized alphanumerically, because OCD) on my system! There is no real theme, but the windows colour is green because I can. The second display has coretemp, MSI afterburner and sometimes other windows on it as it is only meant to be a quick way to check stuff. The wallpaper is on a slideshow of 15 pictures. Basically, my desktop is an absolute mess.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I use Ratpoison as my window manager so... Yeah..

When I'm on Win7 I just reduce icon sizes and spacings as much as I can and stuff as much as possible, sorted alphabetically, black wallpaper. Sometimes I'll go crazy and if I find one thats nice and not too flashy I'll use it for a while.

·
I took this profile pic
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
YOU GUYS ARE DOING IT ALL WRONG!

I swear I am going to hack into the mainframe server database (like how they did in 90s movies) and organize everything on all of your computers. This is ridiculous. I have OCD and you guys present me with THIS?! No... NO NO NO! We are changing this now. Here is what we are going to do. We will have properly labeled folders with every word capitalized, all folders organized on the right side top to bottom alphabetically within alphabetically organized categories. There will be a maximum of 5 folders per category and 4 categories. The background will be a 1080p off white color background with a pattern or a picture on it, one that pops a bit but at the same time doesn't distract. The Windows taskbar (because we WILL BE USING WINDOWS!) will match the color of the background and must be between 70%-80% transparent. The taskbar will have a maximum of 5 of the most commonly used programs along with 2 folders of your choice, but they will be arranged like so: most used folder on the left, then 2nd most used folder, and then the programs arranged least used to most used making the last program easily accessible.

If you REALLY want to get crazy and tell society to **** off, you may have a slideshow of backgrounds. Each background must have a muted background color (NO BLACK!) with a pattern and/or a picture in the center and closer to the bottom than the top. You may have a maximum of 6 backgrounds and they must rotate every 12 hours so it will take 3 days to get back to the first picture. The slideshow may not be randomized.

As for the sounds: You must NOT have that stupid click when starting navigation. Every time you click something on a webpage, I do not want to hear a click.

Other than that, yeah do whatever you want to the desktop. Go crazy. Open a folder just for the fun of it. You can even open a folder and then close it right away because that is YOUR desktop and you can do whatever you want with it.

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thready View Post

YOU GUYS ARE DOING IT ALL WRONG!

I swear I am going to hack into the mainframe server database (like how they did in 90s movies) and organize everything on all of your computers. This is ridiculous. I have OCD and you guys present me with THIS?! No... NO NO NO! We are changing this now. Here is what we are going to do. We will have properly labeled folders with every word capitalized, all folders organized on the right side top to bottom alphabetically within alphabetically organized categories. There will be a maximum of 5 folders per category and 4 categories. The background will be a 1080p off white color background with a pattern or a picture on it, one that pops a bit but at the same time doesn't distract. The Windows taskbar (because we WILL BE USING WINDOWS!) will match the color of the background and must be between 70%-80% transparent. The taskbar will have a maximum of 5 of the most commonly used programs along with 2 folders of your choice, but they will be arranged like so: most used folder on the left, then 2nd most used folder, and then the programs arranged least used to most used making the last program easily accessible.

If you REALLY want to get crazy and tell society to **** off, you may have a slideshow of backgrounds. Each background must have a muted background color (NO BLACK!) with a pattern and/or a picture in the center and closer to the bottom than the top. You may have a maximum of 6 backgrounds and they must rotate every 12 hours so it will take 3 days to get back to the first picture. The slideshow may not be randomized.

As for the sounds: You must NOT have that stupid click when starting navigation. Every time you click something on a webpage, I do not want to hear a click.

Other than that, yeah do whatever you want to the desktop. Go crazy. Open a folder just for the fun of it. You can even open a folder and then close it right away because that is YOUR desktop and you can do whatever you want with it.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts

I have my left monitor for main files and PC Benchmarking etc, Middle screen for games and right is empty :S
Oh and i use a wallpaper that someone from OCN made it for me.

·
I've no idea what I'm doi
2,240 Posts

Linux ftw.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts

mine. I like it simple

Keep games on top,
social stuff in mid,
monitoring software on bottom

EDIT: looking at this made me realize i have 3D mark on top, time to move it to the bottom

·
Registered
139 Posts
Not really organized I guess. I have whatever I'm immediately working on (docs or w/e) @ the desktop until I'm finished and it's ready to archive onto my other drives. Unless it's a song I'm working on, which I've another drive dedicated towards renders/projects and nothing comes close to approaching me desktop
tongue.gif

RedoubtsDesktopWP_zpscf61db0d.png

When things are busy.

WooHoo_zpsf697aa80.png

Just twiddling my thumbs until I get around to getting a new card to drive 1440p across all panels
thumb.gif

·
Tech Enthusiast
12,388 Posts
I don't have anything on my desktop.

·
I took this profile pic
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
1,168 Posts