Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a q9550 and a ep45t-ud3r board and also a 2x4gb ddr3 1600 ram that is running at 1333, whenever i try to raise the fsb to 400, my ram frequency goes to 1600 but when i reboot my cpu it wont boot, the rams default frequency is 1600 but it runs at 1333, and whenever i try to make it to 1600 by raising the fsb, my cpu wont boot, i hope that you can help me with this

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
You may need to alter the ram voltage, north bridge voltage and ram CAS timings in order to get your DDR3 ram to work at 1600MHz. E.g 9-9-9-27 <-- (RAM CAS Timings) | (RAM Voltage) --> 1.5V for 1600MHz.

Northbridge voltage might need to be something like 1.20-1.25v. You also have to increase the CPU voltage as well as you are increasing the CPU clock speed as you increase the FSB (unless you're also lowering the CPU multiplier at the same time to get a lower clock speed on the CPU).

The CPU voltage range I recommend is 1.26v-1.37v. I usually keep my CPU around 70°C in stress tests. Use programs such as HWinfo64, Hwmonitor64, Realtemp, CPU-Z to monitor CPU voltage and temperatures.

I've managed to achieve around 3.8 GHz with the Q9550, but your mileage may vary. I think having the ASUS P5Q deluxe gave me a big advantage in terms of how much my motherboard can handle with overclocking.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do i need to change my (G) MCH Frequency Latch and System Memory Multiplier? My rams timing is 11-11-11-28

·
Registered
82 Posts
The Core 2 can't do 1600Mhz ram. Your really pushing it for 1333mhz. Drop the ram to the lowest multiplier & try again.

·
a turkey is a bad man
6,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-BuZz View Post

The Core 2 can't do 1600Mhz ram. Your really pushing it for 1333mhz. Drop the ram to the lowest multiplier & try again.
The memory controller in on the motherboard not cpu.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo2 View Post

The memory controller in on the motherboard not cpu.
Still can't run it anywhere near 1600MHz. I got similar setup & anything over 1300Mhz is very unstable.

·
a turkey is a bad man
6,432 Posts
Quote:

Still can't run it anywhere near 1600MHz. I got similar setup & anything over 1300Mhz is very unstable.
I've seen them run 1800+ without issue. It's to do with the board and the EP45T-UD3R is a very capable board. It's just that 775 can be quite fiddly if you have no idea what you're doing.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Quote:

I've seen them run 1800+ without issue. It's to do with the board and the EP45T-UD3R is a very capable board. It's just that 775 can be quite fiddly if you have no idea what you're doing.
I've never seen any core 2 anywhere near that high. Care to provide a link?

·
a turkey is a bad man
6,432 Posts
Quote:

Dam nice. I stand corrected.

Back to the drawing board with my mobo EP45T-UD3P + 16GB of ram.
16gb might be the problem there haha. That is probably too much for the memory controller.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Quote:

16gb might be the problem there haha. That is probably too much for the memory controller.
Nah my 4GB 1600mhz kit had the same issue. Wouldn't boot with ram any faster than 1333Mhz

·
OG AMD
8,879 Posts
Quote:

I looked in this thread thinking I might find some of the old guard.
thumb.gif

Quote:

Nah my 4GB 1600mhz kit had the same issue. Wouldn't boot with ram any faster than 1333Mhz
Keep that northbridge nice and cool and crank up the volts!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwoodz View Post

Keep that northbridge nice and cool and crank up the volts!
Well I'll be a monkeys backside, it was a memory multi issue. Somthing wrong with the 1333mhz multiplier not booting or extremely unstable. But it boots at 1600Mhz Cas9 Mch Core @ 1.6 v rock solid
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why is that even if i raise the voltages it wont work? I already lowered my rams cas timings but it still not working, it only works when i downclock my ram to 1333 but if i set it to default 1600 it wont work

·
Registered
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGPliskin View Post

Why is that even if i raise the voltages it wont work? I already lowered my rams cas timings but it still not working, it only works when i downclock my ram to 1333 but if i set it to default 1600 it wont work
Bump your NB voltages if you want 1600mhz . Mine wasn't stable until NB volts at 1.55-1.6v .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is it okay to raise the nb voltage that high? And should i change the mch frequency latch and system memory multiplier? It is set to auto

1 - 18 of 18 Posts