Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I correct in thinking that Audio Processor does not affect SQ, rather only Surround Sound/Upsampling/ETC?

Example:
Laptop onboard -> Magni/Modi

vs.

STX -> Magni/Modi

Essentially, it would be the same minus having surround sound and features with the STX over whatever the laptop onboard offers?

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
I have a rather high end computer music system (2.1). I don't use on-board sound nor a sound card (digital files are copied to the computer's memory and a DAC streams then from there).

I have seen very noticeable SQ differences depending on the OS used:
Win7 (Ultimate) < Win7 (Ultimate) stripped down < Win Server 2012 < Win Server 2012 stripped down. So, yes, I would assume that computer hardware (ie. laptop vs desktop) makes a difference based on what I see with software only. That's just an assumption though, as I've not tried it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska View Post

I have a rather high end computer music system (2.1). I don't use on-board sound nor a sound card (digital files are copied to the computer's memory and a DAC streams then from there).

I have seen very noticeable SQ differences depending on the OS used:
Win7 (Ultimate) < Win7 (Ultimate) stripped down < Win Server 2012 < Win Server 2012 stripped down. So, yes, I would assume that computer hardware (ie. laptop vs desktop) makes a difference based on what I see with software only. That's just an assumption though, as I've not tried it.
Interesting... Win Server > Win 7 SQ? And what do you mean by stripped down?

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Just like stripping out an OS for benchmarking. You just start removing stuff until there's just the bare minimum you need to have the OS do what you need.
Basically it's disabling services. I had a SuperPi benching Win XP install that only ran four services. I've gotten Server 2012 down to 7 services, but it really screws up the user interface, it's basically just a command prompt. So for my audio setup I have about 15 services running so I get a (barely) functioning desktop.

And, yes, it makes a difference in SQ as the OS isn't doing anything in the background, I suppose it reduces RF interference too. There are actually "tweaking" programs for modifying OSs for playing audio, and you can buy whole computers that are modified specifically for just playing digital music.

I've tried this one. Fidelizer 6.2

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalkbluffgrown View Post

Wow, there is a ship ahead of us and to its right, I can see that someone has went overboard! :)
LOL...
I was like you, OS affect SQ? No way! Well, I tried it and was amazed.
Of course (one of my favorite sayings) - "If your system can't play the difference, you won't hear the difference."

I'm overboard? Go read some threads on the AudioGon forums!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska View Post

LOL...
I was like you, OS affect SQ? No way! Well, I tried it and was amazed.
Of course (one of my favorite sayings) - "If your system can't play the difference, you won't hear the difference."

I'm overboard? Go read some threads on the AudioGon forums!
How much would you notice Fidelizer on Windows 7 Home Premium? Is it something more designed for Server 2012? Would you bother using it on a laptop or typical desktop? Or is it something more for an audio only setup that does nothing else?

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
I tried Fidelizer (desktop computer, Asus M5A99x EVO R2, Win 7 Ultimate), and noticed a difference, not necessarily better, but for sure a difference. As for how to use it (all the time, just for music playback, laptop, etc.) I have no idea. I tried it for a while and moved on............

This AUDIOPHILE OPTIMIZER is what I'm trying to duplicate.
I can get down to this, but he's doing some other "secret" stuff too.

Many people like this modded Mac Mini

Got some bucks? I'd like to try this PSU: Kaia Linear Power Supply

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have a pretty decent audio setup and I've never noticed much of a difference in sonic quality with different operating systems. Assuming the components were completely identical and the installation/programs installed are the same. Using a mid-high end CPU, good ram, and a ssd it's not a difference I could easily discern. It's extremely difficult for me to even notice a difference between hi-res audio playing from my ssd vs a ram disk, unless it's some DSD 32bit/384khz stuff. You can check pretty easily if there was a issue with a driver or something else causing bad enough latency that you would notice, at least on windows you can use "DPC Latency" checker if you noticed some judder type issues. To answer your question OP, the sonic quality is not impeded by the onboard dac in your computer because the modi/magni is bypassing it completely. Now certain laptops, there is always the possibility that the USB port isn't outputting proper amperage, but if it works without say having to use an external usb hub then your probably fine. This is why with Z97 we saw so many motherboard manufacturers touting more power to the USB or Gigabyte's "USB Dac Up" ports, for exclusive usb dac usage.

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nizda View Post

To answer your question OP, the sonic quality is not impeded by the onboard dac in your computer because the modi/magni is bypassing it completely. Now certain laptops, there is always the possibility that the USB port isn't outputting proper amperage What about voltage?,
You need to read up on Jitter, it's causes and cures and computer "clocks".
And USB 5v power? What do yo think this would do to the analogue parts of the signal path?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts