Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, just so we're on the same page here:

I have a 4790K overclocked to 4.7GHz (1.255VID, 1.280 Eventual [email protected]), and the G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory kit.

I set the XMP profile to run at 2400MHz with the default profile timings.

My intention here is not to overclock the RAM!

I have several questions:

Can lowering RAM speeds/timings increase overall performance in any way?

Can lowering RAM speeds/timings allow me to feed my CPU less volts and/or go for a higher frequency with the same volts? Maybe get to 4.8 GHz with little to no additional voltage? Will that increase my overall performance?

Are there any RAM related settings I should tweak without endangering my computer/components to boost performance?

I'm really lost on the matter and can't find good information out there.

Would greatly appreciate any input! Thanks!

·
Watercooler
3,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vioxtac View Post

Okay, just so we're on the same page here:

I have a 4790K overclocked to 4.7GHz (1.255VID, 1.280 Eventual [email protected]), and the G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory kit.

I set the XMP profile to run at 2400MHz with the default profile timings.

My intention here is not to overclock the RAM!

I have several questions:

Can lowering RAM speeds/timings allow me to feed my CPU less volts and/or go for a higher frequency with the same volts? Maybe get to 4.8 GHz with little to no additional voltage? Will that increase my overall performance?

Are there any RAM related settings I should tweak without endangering my computer/components to boost performance?

I'm really lost on the matter and can't find good information out there.

Would greatly appreciate any input! Thanks!
If you aren't going for a world record overclock i would leave the ram at what is suggested on the packaging.

·
Linux Gamer
961 Posts
Quote:

Yes, but the performance gain is extremely small, to the point that it's almost nonexistant, and certainly not worth the added strain on the system. I did a comparison of 1600mhz C8 vs. 1866 C9 with several benches (I can post the results if you wish), and it isn't close to worth it.
Quote:

Lowering RAM spec can aid in CPU stability, especially on very high overclocks. It may or may not allow you to use slightly less vcore, but you'd have to test that out. Will what increase performance? Raising clockspeed? Definitely, but from 4.7>4.8ghz you're not going to notice much difference, I suspect.
Quote:

Strictly speaking, any overclocking is endangering component longevity to some extent, but RAM seems pretty hardy and generally have lifetime warranties. Again, it's the added stress to the memory controller etc. vs. almost no performance gain, time investment, and risk of OS corruption that make it not worth it at all IMO.

Setting the Command Rate to 1 is a good tweak though, and will give you a minute boost with little risk.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts