Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having some serious trouble trying to find out HOW exactly CPU Reference and MCH Reference relate to CPU Termination, what they do, and how any of these three settings would affect an overclock. Here's an example - My system (exactly whats in my sig) is running 1600mhz FSB, 3.8 GHz E6300 Wolfdale (400 x 9.5), and I am using a 2.66D memory multiplier on the EP45-UD3L mobo for my memory to reach 1066 MHz. I notice when raising the CPU Termination voltage that the CPU Reference and the MCH Reference voltages also climb up at the same time in the BIOS. So could someone with some real expertise actually tell me how you would decide what values would work the best between Termination and References? I mean how much of a value is recommended on Reference voltages for comparison to Termination voltages? I am SO confused right now.. My VCore is running at 1.3625v with LLC disabled for the 3.8 GHz speed, and I want to go to 4.0 GHz for daily use. BUT my goal is to keep the VCore as low as possible. And to do this I was wondering if Termination and Reference voltage changes will help? Please someone help me here to get these voltages right, and tell me if they even should be changed at all. I have done extensive searching on this subject but have found almost nothing. Thanks.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I think this is a difficult question to answer because these voltages are know by different names according to different boards and chipsets.

So obviously by your description the termination voltage affects the main voltages going to your cpu and northbridge, but does it affect your vcore as well ?
As far as i can work out, termination voltage is a highly complex area of calculations to stabilize interference in the voltage frequencies, but where overclocking is concerned it is a case of trial and error, because working out the optimal settings between these values is for someone with a degree in advanced mathematics. Fortunately Intel has published safe limits for your chip which will give you tolerances to play with and since yours is a wolfdale you are looking at the lower 45nm limits.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
They are DIRECTLY related

CPU Termination (Vtt) Automatically changes the following if manually set >>>

CPU Reference Voltage (.63% of Default Vtt/1.20) .76 ET
CPU Reference2 Voltage (.67% of Default Vtt/1.20) .80 ET
MCH Reference Voltage (.63% of Default Vtt/1.20) .76 ET

DRAM Voltage Automatically changes the following if manually set >>>

MCH/DRAM Reference Voltage (.50% of Default Dram Voltage)
DRAM Termination Voltage (.50% of Default Dram Voltage)
Channel A Reference Voltage (.50% of Default Dram Voltage)
Channel B Reference Voltage (.50% of Default Dram Voltage)

Please see the link in my signature (** How to setup MCH GTL Ref Voltages Vs. EasyTune **) for a more in depth explanation on this

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks guys. That makes a bit more sense now. I only have one CPU Reference voltage in the BIOS though, and when I checked the value I think it was .800 by default which is about 66.6(repeating) %

1 - 5 of 5 Posts