Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on getting into watercooling. How does this setup look? It's on a Corsair 800D and I'm planning on getting the Swiftech 320 EDGE (I know it's expensive, but this is my first watercooling setup and I'm scared).

Current setup (no exhaust fans):

Planned setup:

Does this look okay? Swiftech advises that the fans on the rad run as an intake, but my system doesn't have any exhaust fans at the moment and I don't think reversing the rear fan and the 140mm corsair stock fan and running them as exhausts would do a good enough job.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
i'd really switch those edge fans around aswell as the ap15. you DO have to worry about case airflow but not nearly as much as anyone only on air would when you're water cooling.

• Rep+
Reactions: i7monkey

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
Might as well flip the fans around. I used to have my case with the fans at the top set as intake and the only exhaust was the rear. I still got good temps, but it was dusty as hell. I now run the fans on the rad as exhaust.

On to more important things, we're not going to let it go that you want to buy the edge instead of a custom loop
I said it before and I'll say it again, do it right the first time and go custom. Not that it performs better, but do the gorgeous case some justice and get something that's going to look good in it.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by JE Nightmare View Post
i'd really switch those edge fans around aswell as the ap15. you DO have to worry about case airflow but not nearly as much as anyone only on air would when you're water cooling.
The 800D doesn't have the best airflow, if I ran it like this would it be fine?:

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikecdm View Post
Might as well flip the fans around. I used to have my case with the fans at the top set as intake and the only exhaust was the rear. I still got good temps, but it was dusty as hell. I now run the fans on the rad as exhaust.
i confuze

You're saying that I should run the top fans as an intake, but then you said you used to run yours as an intake but then switched them to exhuasts. So which is it?

Oh, and right now since I have no exhaust fans, my GTX 280's running in the high 90Cs on furmark. I stopped it for safety purposes after it reached 97C. Do you guys really think I should run the swiftech as an intake, cause I'm scared it'll contribute to high case temps (even though I'd be running the rear and side fans as exhausts).

Quote:
On to more important things, we're not going to let it go that you want to buy the edge instead of a custom loop
I said it before and I'll say it again, do it right the first time and go custom. Not that it performs better, but do the gorgeous case some justice and get something that's going to look good in it.

I'll see what I can do, but this w/c stuff is over my head as it is.

And lastly, this forum's the ****ing best! You guys are always so supportful and helpful!

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by blu3phoenix View Post
You really dont want the rad to be exhaust? I dont think it would affect your temps too much
I wanna run it like this (cause my video card's running extra hot):

But some of you guys are telling me to run it like this (I'm afraid of this to be honest because my video card might run extra hot):

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by i7monkey View Post
i confuze

You're saying that I should run the top fans as an intake, but then you said you used to run yours as an intake but then switched them to exhuasts. So which is it?

Oh, and right now since I have no exhaust fans, my GTX 280's running in the high 90Cs on furmark. I stopped it for safety purposes after it reached 97C. Do you guys really think I should run the swiftech as an intake, cause I'm scared it'll contribute to high case temps (even though I'd be running the rear and side fans as exhausts).

I'll see what I can do, but this w/c stuff is over my head as it is.

And lastly, this forum's the ****ing best! You guys are always so supportful and helpful!

I'd put the fans on the top of the case as exhaust. You can and should try both ways depending on your results. Some people will say to try it one way and others will say the opposite. I changed fan orientation because I ddin't want as much dust in my case.

Here are two pics showing how it is now and how I had it. THere are also more before pics, but won't get into that.

Here is how I currently have it. Using all GT AP15 on both rads and rear fan.

And this is how it looked. Don't mind the mess, this was while I was making the change from an i5 set up to my current X58. Cooling wasn't the best here, but I attribute it to the measly mcr320 running the i7 at 4.4ghz and both GTX 260. I also used to fold 24/7 on this set up. With the measly single rad. I had push/pull medium speed yates on the rad and low speed yates for for the front and rear. I should also mention that the case had a door in the front and severely limited intake of the front fans.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliehorse55
View Post

Another vote against the Swiftech edge. If you post your budget, someone will almost certainly be able to create a custom loop inside of your budget that will outperform that swiftech kit.

Well, I was gonna pre-order 3 or 6 GT AP 15's at $20CAD a piece and buy the 320 EDGE kit for $340US.

So I guess my total budget including fans would be $400-460 Canadian.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
yeah, with a budget like that there is def better hand built loops.

incoming charliehorse list.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I did go custom (which you guys are slowly convincing me of
), how the ^%@ am I supposed to know what I'm doing? Barbs? Compression fittings? ID's OD's? What is what damn it! lol

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
you find out what to do by asking questions, as long as you don't come off as an asshat like some have before people don't have a problem helping you.

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JE Nightmare
View Post

yeah, with a budget like that there is def better hand built loops.

incoming charliehorse list.

I actually posted it on his other thread, but I'll quote it here for anyone interested:

Quote:

Originally Posted by charliehorse55
View Post

The only difference between a kit and a custom loop is the shopping cart. Once the package arrives on your front door step, there is no difference. This is because the kit is just a box of parts.

So, if you are worried about making a mistake in the shopping cart, look no further because I have created an awesome build for you on Dazmode!

EK Supreme HF Plexi + Nickel - $83
XSPC Reservoir Top for Laing D5 - $50
Swiftech MCP 655 Pump (Laing D5) - $68
TFC XChanger 360 Radiator - $125
1/2" ID 3/4" OD Tubing 2m Pack - $13
1/2" ID Barb - Matte Black - x6 - $20
Hose Clamps for 1/2" ID tubing x6 - $10

Total: $369

This loop would destroy the edge kit by 5-7C, while also allowing for room to expand to GPU cooling in the future (With no additional parts other than the GPU block).

Considering the cost would be about the same, I don't see why you would want the inferior kit.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
i was right either way, it got posted in this thread... eventually.

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by i7monkey View Post
If I did go custom (which you guys are slowly convincing me of
), how the ^%@ am I supposed to know what I'm doing? Barbs? Compression fittings? ID's OD's? What is what damn it! lol

That all depends on the final results that you want. I personally care about looks as well as performance. I'd imagine that part of the reason you chose the 800D is because it looks nice as well as having room for a good sized loop internally. There are tons of 800D builds all over the web. Some are very simple and some go all out. I'd look for them and get some ideas.

Some research and patience will go a long way. This will prove essential when putting your rig together and is very important since you live in Canada, assuming you order from the US. You don't want to buy some parts and be short a fitting or two. Careful planning is the key.

Charlie has put together a good list of parts. You really can't go wrong with any of the stuff he has picked out. Some things are based on preference and not solely on performance, but the difference is negligible.

Tubing is based on preference. I'm using 7/16", but a lot of people use 1/2". I actually think 1/2" looks better in larger cases. There are a few cpu blocks that are so close in performance that either would be a good choice. The XSPC rasa is frequently recommended because of it's price and performance. However, I think it's ugly and would go with an EK hf or in my case, I'd like to buy the new Aqua Computer block because it's not so common and still performs well.

When it comes to fittings, that's basically a price thing. Compression fittings look better but cost about 3-4x as much as standard fittings. With compression fittings, you need to mach them to the tubing you use. ID and OD need to the same for both. With standard barbs, you can use 7/16 tubing over 1/2 barbs or same size tubing on barbs.

Radiator brands is once again preference. I have a feser 480 but wouldn't buy another feser product. Not because it performs bad, but because the finish on my rad is terrible and I expect a lot more out of a $150 rad. I like the fit and finish of Black Ice rads and would personally choose an SR-1, had I the opportunity to do things over.

Finally a pump is pretty much preference. The two main competitors are the mcp-655 (D5) and the mcp-355 (DDC). Some may argue the benifits of head pressure vs flow, either will be fine for the majority of loops. Most importantly, IMO, is placement. The D5 is bigger than the DDC and harder to find a good spot for it.

I personally don't like doing cookie cutter builds for people. I normally won't even post in a "build me a loop with X budget" thread. I'm giving my opinion here because I don't want you to make a mistake. I feel that in the long run, you'll be happier picking out your own parts and assembling the loop. I, as well as many on the forum, feel that you should do a custom loop and it seems that you are headed in that direction. With that being said, use the advice that we give, take charlies recommendations in to consideration, and do your homework.

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
@MikeCDM

Most of my choices were driven by availability, as dazmode has only a very limited selection. For example, the ONLY brand of radiators you can buy are the TFC rads, believe me I wouldn't normally recommend them (not that there're bad, just that other radiators are cheaper). As well, only 1/2" ID or 3/8" ID tubing is available, the CPU blocks are limited to Heatkiller/EK models only.

That being said it's still much better than buying it from performance-pcs and getting hit with a $65 COD.

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliehorse55 View Post
@MikeCDM

Most of my choices were driven by availability, as dazmode has only a very limited selection. For example, the ONLY brand of radiators you can buy are the TFC rads, believe me I wouldn't normally recommend them (not that there're bad, just that other radiators are cheaper). As well, only 1/2" ID or 3/8" ID tubing is available, the CPU blocks are limited to Heatkiller/EK models only.

That being said it's still much better than buying it from performance-pcs and getting hit with a $65 COD.
I really didn't mean that your choices were made on preference, but it might have come across that way. I really meant that, given more availability, end result is based on preferences here and there and not necessarily on having the best of the best. I've made several choices an brand preference or for some reason other than being the best. Some times you learn with experience.

I personally wouldn't buy from PPC and I don't have to pay any outrageous fees.

You put forth more effort than I could say I do. I don't have the patience for people who lack the will to search. I see you make the same recommendations several times a day. It's not hard to browse the WC section and look at someone else's thread who has the same question. You sir are far more willing to help than I. That is why I don't post in those threads.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts