Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
no, the exos isnt much better then a XP90, and is a wiast of money. dont get it. the only considerable premade kit is the big water...if your desperate, otherwise build your own system

·
Registered
391 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by adas123

no, the exos isnt much better then a XP90, and is a wiast of money. dont get it. the only considerable premade kit is the big water...if your desperate, otherwise build your own system

I know just the thought of putting water near your expensive computer gives noobs the shakes but watercooling is neither difficult nor hard to do at all.

The problem all neophytes have when it comes to water is what to buy with the amount of money they have.

All I ever here is "what do you think about this" or "what is the best system I can get with this amount of money".

The first and last thing you need to know about any watercooling "kit" is STAY AWAY. They are overpriced and almost all of them will give you the same performance as good air cooling will.

I would advise that you buy your system one piece at a time if you cannot afford to buy everything at once. You might be tempted to just spend $200 bucks but if you wait and spend $250 you can get much better stuff.

You have to remember that even the best of the best watercooling will not give you any better temps than the ambient temperature of the room you are in.

All you need is:

cpu block
radiator
pump
tubing and clamps
water additive
resevoir or t-line( nothing more than a .75 cent t-fitting that you can get at any Lowe's or Home depot) this is what I use. Resevoirs are more money and a t-line performs the exact same function as a resevoir does for less than a $1.

That is it, nothing complicated about it

Here is a sample sytem to cool an an athlon 64:

cpu block: dd tdx brass top $55

radiator: single heatercore and (1) 120mm fan to cool it and (1) fan shroud used to attach the fan to the radiator. I got a d-tek painted one because I am lazy and did not feel like sweating barbs on it or painting it.

Fan+rad+shroud $55

pump: dd D4 $75

tubing and clamps: 1/2" or 3/8" it really doesn't matter if you have the right pump. $13

clearflex 60 ( 6-8 feet is plenty). Tygon tubing is a waste and you really don't need it for watercooling. To calculate the number of clamps for your closed loop just count how many barbs you have in your entire system and you get the number of clamps needed. I stay away from the metal worm drive clamps because they are very ugly and are overkill for what you are using them for. The nylon hose clamps are the best imho and also look nice too.

Total cost: around $200

That is about the best stuff you can get to just cool your cpu. You could get a bigger rad (double heatercore) but make sure you have room in your case or you will have to mount it outside.

For $200 you can beat any kit that is out there that either cost the same or in most cases more money.

Build your own and just say NO to kits

• Rep+
Reactions: OzziKing

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Actually, the Exos system isnt that bad, for a kit that is. I am referring to the newest model with the 1/2'' tubing/waterblocks. A DIY kit would yield better temps, but if you are getting it really cheap, then why not?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts