Overclock.net banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
I wanna set up a water cooling system for my rig a df85 case do I connect it to a hose or something like that or do I fill it up with water every few days?

Will it decrease my temperatures drastically or should I just get another fan?

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad0314 View Post

You just put a hose over your top intake hole and it cools your computer!
I kid, please don't try that. Read the above post.
I like how you made the crucial part of that post really tiny.
wink.gif

Tho, I would like to hope natural selection works in the tech world, too. If I thought putting a hose into my computer for cooling was a good idea, I'd immediately think "I don't deserve to own anything computer related ever"

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
are you wanting to do some heavy OC on the CPU or GPU? what are your temps currently? if you dont plan on massive overclocking then I would just stick with air cooling. Water cooling can be expensive and if you do a custom loop then you are SOL if it leaks and ruins some parts. I know if you have a corsair CPU water cooler they will replace parts if the damage is caused due to their part failing.

Cheap good cpu cooling solution would be a hyper 212+
wink.gif
it dropped my temps alot even though im not OCed.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by manu97416 View Post

Hey guys
I wanna set up a water cooling system for my rig a df85 case do I connect it to a hose or something like that or do I fill it up with water every few days?
It works on the simple principal that water can absorb higher amounts of heat before rising in temperature in comparison to air; 4 times as much heat to be exact. Or in other words water will remain cooler for longer periods and hence it is a much better coolant than air.

With this in mind you design a closed-loop in which you need: a pump to circulate the water, a radiator with fans to eliminate the heat, water blocks on your components to transfer the heat to the water and a reservoir is optional.

To answer your question; a true water cooling system will beat any air cooled system, all day and everyday. The question to you is do you want to pay for it?

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul-7 View Post

It works on the simple principal that water can absorb higher amounts of heat before rising in temperature in comparison to air; 4 times as much heat to be exact. Or in other words water will remain cooler for longer periods and hence it is a much better coolant than air.
With this in mind you design a closed-loop in which you need: a pump to circulate the water, a radiator with fans to eliminate the heat, water blocks on your components to transfer the heat to the water and a reservoir is optional.
To answer your question; a true water cooling system will beat any air cooled system, all day and everyday. The question to you is do you want to pay for it?
WORD....

I did it because I live in a tropical island and all year everyday it's hot... I don't have the luxury to have the 4 season and such.
This in turns keeps my hardware cool and maybe last a little bit longer..
This is WHY I did it...

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratjack View Post

are you wanting to do some heavy OC on the CPU or GPU? what are your temps currently? if you dont plan on massive overclocking then I would just stick with air cooling. Water cooling can be expensive and if you do a custom loop then you are SOL if it leaks and ruins some parts. I know if you have a corsair CPU water cooler they will replace parts if the damage is caused due to their part failing.

Cheap good cpu cooling solution would be a hyper 212+
wink.gif
it dropped my temps alot even though im not OCed.
The CPU temps seem to be at about 55-60c gpu is about 65-70 c i think not next to it ATM
And I want to oc my CPU

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul-7 View Post

Quote:

Hey guys

How does it work without the res isn't that where the water is ?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Quote:

How does it work without the res isn't that where the water is ?
That's where the extra water resides - a res is mostly for keeping bubles at bay and ease of filling and draining the loop. You can easily use a T-line instead.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lol what trying to say is kinda ******ed but where is the water stored? I don't have to connect it to a hose or a drain right?

·
Registered
761 Posts
If you know much(or anything about cars) it's basically the same. You have a resevoir where the water is basically stored and used from. a Radiator to dissipate the heat, and the blocks to cool the components. I love water cooling only been using water cooling a couple years but it is almost (if not more fun) than building the PC itself. it DOES get expensive though if you really want to go all out... do lots of research that is your best bet. Gl and let us know what route you decide
thumb.gif

·
Registered
607 Posts
Quote:

Lol what trying to say is kinda ******ed but where is the water stored? I don't have to connect it to a hose or a drain right?
First off I'm a WC novice- but long time lurker and interested in the topic. My WC parts arrived this weekend and I'm going to begin work tonight (yay!)

You don't need any sort of external plumbing (source or drain). You will occasionally need to add a bit of water to your system, but it's not a constant thing that requires a direct line from your house. Systems without reservoirs rely on very little water loss and consistent monitoring of the water level by the user. Using a T-line allows for a small amount of water to be kept in the line which acts like a small reservoir. Using a reservoir however, is a little lower maintenance and (it seems) generally just recommended.

Also, when you do some more research you'll find that you wouldn't want to use household tap water anyway. Distilled water or coolant mixes is the proper liquid to be using.

Good luck!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the info im probably gonna get the corsair h80
now does that come with all i need i mean waterblocks tubes pump
or is it only one part, is it enough?

·
Premium Member
15,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_syk View Post

First off I'm a WC novice- but long time lurker and interested in the topic. My WC parts arrived this weekend and I'm going to begin work tonight (yay!)
You don't need any sort of external plumbing (source or drain). You will occasionally need to add a bit of water to your system, but it's not a constant thing that requires a direct line from your house. Systems without reservoirs rely on very little water loss and consistent monitoring of the water level by the user. Using a T-line allows for a small amount of water to be kept in the line which acts like a small reservoir. Using a reservoir however, is a little lower maintenance and (it seems) generally just recommended.
Also, when you do some more research you'll find that you wouldn't want to use household tap water anyway. Distilled water or coolant mixes is the proper liquid to be using.
Good luck!
that depends..
rolleyes.gif

http://www.overclock.net/t/406256/the-official-bong-lovers-club-56k-fail/0_20
http://www.overclock.net/t/557313/rays-bong-build-how-to-56k-warning-come-see/0_20

OP has afik..the most heat-producing chip..so yes..you would benefit from water-cooling..

·
Premium Member
8,952 Posts
Quote:

thanks for the info im probably gonna get the corsair h80
now does that come with all i need i mean waterblocks tubes pump
or is it only one part, is it enough?
The H80 is an all-in-one kit. You don't need anything for it. You just slap it on your CPU like a normal fan heatsink and attach the radiator to an intake/exhaust point on your case. Though, be warned, the all-in-ones do NOT cool nearly as well as a custom watercooling setup. At best, they're comparable to high-end aircoolers. Watercooling is the best option for sustained temperatures in your case. Sure, there's other options like LN2, but you're not benching, so that's not even worth investigating.

Watercooling (with a custom setup) will drop your temps probably 30C on idle and load. Whereas with an all-in-one solution you may only see a 5C drop across both in the build you have now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.