Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well you can see my specs in my sig rig. I can get my cpu to idle around 32-35 depending on outside temps. I have HK3.0 cpu block with ocz freeze. And im just wondering why both highly overclocked gpu's at max load i can keep under 38c but my cpu will creep around 42-44. Im bong cooled so my water temps dont go up during benchmarking/gaming n whatnot. I just wanna see if i can get it into the high 30's at load. Do you think a good lap job will make it happen??

·
Read Only
5,227 Posts
its possible. some people can get near double digits in temperature drops, others see barely any.

and its always fun to go for a lap, might as well do it!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
There is no way that you will see a 10c drop with a lap. It's just not possible. Most of the time, when users post results of more than 2c to 3c, it's because it was in combination of a better TIM and TIM spread. Lapping does not create miracles, but it's for those who have done absolutely EVERYTHING they can possibly do to decrease temps, and want to go the extra distance (about three hours worth) to shave the last little bit.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i never said 10c drop i idle at 32-35 and load 42-44 NOW if i can get idle to 30-31 and load to 39-40 thats what im looking for. And so i guess ill go get some sandpaper tomarow.

·
Banned
1,335 Posts
once i replaced my bird****(stock intel thermal paste) and cleaned out the heatsink and lapped my cpu
i got a 10 C drop that stock stuff was really really bad

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use ocz freeze always. So my drop wont be that drastic, plus i have the #1 waterblock on the market. Im just hoping that my chip isnt very flat atm and that a good lap will make it SWEET.

·
Banned
371 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoHigh
View Post

There is no way that you will see a 10c drop with a lap. It's just not possible. Most of the time, when users post results of more than 2c to 3c, it's because it was in combination of a better TIM and TIM spread. Lapping does not create miracles, but it's for those who have done absolutely EVERYTHING they can possibly do to decrease temps, and want to go the extra distance (about three hours worth) to shave the last little bit.

I beg to differ. I dropped 10c when I lapped my E5200 and Rosewill RCX-Z4 cooler. So it is possible.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol if i had the sandpaper i would be done. O and also uhm what should i use to protect the pins? I dont have the foam that came with my cpu. Thats the one thing im scared of.

·
Premium Member
9,806 Posts
Find some other foam and just be REALLY careful.

And depending on how flat your CPU is you could see a drastic drop in temps.

To put in it perspective, when I used my lapped 3800x2 with my lapped BT, I can pump 1.72v through it and not exceed 55*C on the core.
At stock voltages I idle within 1*C of ambient, and load at no more than 37-39*C. And thats on air.
Now I'm using my lapped BT with my opty 180 and in the same room it idles @ 35*C and loads @ almost 65*C.
So lapping can make a huge difference, it just depends on what you're starting out with.

·
Banned
371 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by motoray View Post
1.72v wow and thats on air?? shoot i might be able to give the k8 record hell after all!!
Unless you have dry ice or ln2 you won't come close to the record. For processors to run at such high voltages they need to be very cold. You also run the risk of killing the board in the process.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by madmike0408 View Post
Unless you have dry ice or ln2 you won't come close to the record. For processors to run at such high voltages they need to be very cold. You also run the risk of killing the board in the process.
The k8's coldbug so dice l2n isnt an option. Yet the record stands at like 4.289ghz. Ive already tested all the setting i would need for my mobo to make it happen and its solid. Its all a matter of my cpu. And i ship out in 2 months so like 3 days before im ganna go for it whether i fry my chip or not. Cause when i come back ill just throw in a 940

1 - 20 of 43 Posts