Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bro has one and he wants to get that Zalman fan. But for now how far can he go, he gots a 3.2GHZ intel P4 Prescott. THANX

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
probly until it needs more vcore, im thinking 3.5/6...hopefully, maybe a little less, or m,aybe more, it depends

·
Banned
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The CPU temp is usually at 50*C, if i raise the vcore will it be too hot? And what should i raise it too?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by comrad
The CPU temp is usually at 50*C, if i raise the vcore will it be too hot? And what should i raise it too?

Look at my sytem specs... I have a 3.2 Prescott with a Zalman 7000b Cu cooler.

I never tried the stock cooler on it since I bought the just the CPU without the heatsink.

With my Zalman I got it to 3.9Ghz Prime 95 stable. Anything Higher I couldn't keep it below its throttle temp(about 66C or 67C) without replacing the fan that it has. I put a 92mm Vantec Tornado fan on it and undervolted it to keep the noise down. It got me to 4.0Ghz Prime 95(max heat and power consumption) Stable at 1.56Vcore overnight tests... approximately 10-12hours. I think you would normally get a good enough answer within an hour though for gaming. If you are doing some heavy CAD/CAM work(as I do),you can't afford any cpu mistakes, so test longer. Come to think of it, I should probably test for 24 hours or more jusut to make sure. Also try to leave yourself a little headroom to changes in ambient room tempurature too.

Other things I did:

I lapped the CPU and heatsink together as a pair and used just a "hint" of Arctic Silver 5. I wanted 4.0Ghz on air cooling to see if I could do it. It took me close to a month of tinkering and testing... but I got there.

I might try one of those Danger Den liquid kits at some point in the future just for the fun of it.

Have fun and don't smoke anything.... baby steps.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by comrad
My bro has one and he wants to get that Zalman fan. But for now how far can he go, he gots a 3.2GHZ intel P4 Prescott. THANX
Which Zalman, the 7000 or the 7700?

There is a little more to overclocking than just the heatsink & temps. Ram,Psu etc

·
Registered
55 Posts
The 7700 is slightly better, but if you can't fit it on your MB or in your case under the power supply, the 7000 is supposedly very close to the 7700

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fezzik
The 7700 is slightly better, but if you can't fit it on your MB or in your case under the power supply, the 7000 is supposedly very close to the 7700
I used too have the 7000alcu 3.76Ghz was as high as I could safely get it.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Just check that it will fit your M/B first. With the increased performance I would hope that it will do the 3.84 at least. But as I said earlier theres many other factors to consider before getting your O/C that high.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts